• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Best option for getting from Conques to Avignon

Kezzaann

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking the Le Puy way in August 2015
I have a few questions re the Le Puy to Conques way.
First is in regards to transport out of Conques as I am heading to Avignon at the end of my walk. Has anyone done this before and if so what is the best way to do it? Train or flights or combination of both?
Also, I am also hoping someone can assure me that a woman walking alone will be safe and what things to look out for. The last question is about just how hot it will be in late August - has anyone walked the route at that time.
All and any info would be greatly appreciated!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

COMPOSTEL' BUS
Regular Bus line Le Puy-en-Velay - Conques
  • Bus Line (19 seatting) daily on the Compostela Routefrom April 15 to October 15
Stop and departure point in Conques: Parking de la Salesse (Townhall area)
  • Booking ahead advised
  • Departure Le Puy-en-Velay : 07:50 - Arrival in Conques 12:05
  • Departure Conques : 13:00 - Arrival in Le Puy-en-Velay 17:15
Contact: Agence Havas-Migratour - 04 71 02 43 23 - www.migratour.fr

SNCF trains stations
  • Saint-Christophe-Vallon (12) - Line Paris-Rodez, 23 km from Conques -Tel: 05 65 72 71 55
  • Shuttle service with the company Transports Lample on booking on certain train hours (see the transport chart).
  • Note for pilgrims: This station is not on the GR65.
  • Viviez-Decazeville (12) - Line Paris-Rodez, 27 km from Conques -Tel: 05 65 43 12 35
  • Daily connection with Paris and Toulouse lines. Night train ticket must be booked ahead of time.
  • Note for pilgrim: This station is 3km off the GR65 at Decazeville (boulevard Laromiguière level). Walking from Decazeville to Viviez station, do not use the High Speed Road (pedestrians forbidden). Use the old road going towards Viviez.
  • Transports from Conques with taxis.
  • Rodez (12) - regular lines to Paris, Toulouse, station at 38 km from Conques, train station located near the Coach station -Tel: 05 65 77 33 30 / 36 35 / 0 892 35 35 35
  • Transport from Conques: Regular bus line (week days, school days) or taxi.
  • Night train ticket must be booked ahead
  • Figeac (46) - regular lines to Paris, Cahors and Toulouse
  • Transport to this station : taxi or transports for pilgrim on the GR65 (Figeac axis)
Site: www.voyages-sncf.com

Shuttle service to Saint-Christophe Train Station
From Conques, this shuttle service brings you to St-Christophe-Vallon train station.
This transport is only possible on reservation according to specific train departure and arrival schedule (only on St-Christophe - Paris line). See the Transports Chart for details

• Taxi/Shuttle fee : 15€/person
  • Booking 24h prior to departure
  • Transports Lample: Vehicle of 5-9 sittings, tourism (train station, airport, return to Le Puy), medical transport
Transports Lample - 12320 Conques
  • Tel: 06 07 75 93 32 / 04 71 49 95 55
Train schedules might change during the year. We advise you to check train schedule prior to departure.

As a woman walking alone, you should be fine - the greatest dangers for travelers will be in the larger towns and cities (the American embassy in Paris replaces about 40 stolen passports a day, for example). That being said, the usual traveler's caution and awareness measures apply. The Le Puy route crosses an out-of-the-way part of France. And yes August will be hot - 90sF - but generally dry and not humid. Water is usually available at several points during the day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
taxi to Rodez
rent a car at Rodez airport and drive it to Avignon
or take the train from rodez ro Avignon
check SNCF site

Most read last week in this forum