• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Conques to Decazeville

Amby

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very keen to pick up where I left off in June this year. At 72 years old and carrying a 9-10 kilo backpack, 15 Kms approx is my comfortable limit. The route from Conques involves an initial and very demanding climb and a total 18 Kms to Decazeville. On the other hand, stopping at Noailhac would only be 6 kms, which is a bit too short. There appears to be no accommodation option in between. Any ideas?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are correct, the climb out of Conques would make for quite a demanding start!

I would suggest resuming your chemin at Decazeville or Figeac- unlike Conques, both towns have a train station, and may be easier to reach depending on your point of departure.

Thanks for your suggestion. My travel plans are as follows: train to Narbonne from Barcelona, another to Cahors and then bus to Figeac. The following morning the Malle Postale 'navette' to Conques, arriving at 8 am. I would like to resume my route at Conques and not jump any stages, but I appreciate that it might not be feasible. The only other alternative that I have in mind (apart from stopping at Noailhac) is to do as much as I can and then hitch or take a taxi to Decazeville.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2016 … the bag transport vans (from Conques )would offer to carry pilgrims in the van along with the backpacks. 🎒

In 2016 … the bag transport vans (from Conques )would offer to carry pilgrims in the van along with the backpacks. 🎒
Thanks. Yes, I used that service last October on my way back home. In fact, I've just written to the Malle Postale to see if they could drop me off in Noailhac. That would give me just 12 Kms to Decazeville and I'd avoid the daunting climb out of Conques.

If you’re not a purist, the road out of Conques is MUCH more forgiving and super quiet. It hooks right back up with the trail.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very keen to pick up where I left off in June this year. At 72 years old and carrying a 9-10 kilo backpack, 15 Kms approx is my comfortable limit. The route from Conques involves an initial and very demanding climb and a total 18 Kms to Decazeville. On the other hand, stopping at Noailhac would only be 6 kms, which is a bit too short. There appears to be no accommodation option in between. Any ideas?
My wife aka Froggie, is on the le Puy way now and a day or two ago left Conque. She is very fit for her 63 years of age. She said it was the hardest part yet and the climb in the rain was so hard she thought she wouldn’t make it. Her day was circa 26km and she was almost in tears. As you are a few years older maybe the stop at “only” 6 km isn’t such a bad thing. The rest of the day was also very steep hills and slippery paths.

I wish you better weather than she is having.

It is possible to walk from Conques to Decazeville. My friend and I, 82 and 72 at the time, climbed up the muddy track. It took us longer than many other pilgrims! But we still made it to Decazeville around 2pm - backpacks and all. However, we had been walking from LePuy and maybe our strength and stamina had improved. If you have not been training before you go, only you know how physically ready you will be.

I have, several times, skipped ahead to Noailhac and walked from there ... if you are unable to get a ride with LMP then you could take a taxi to Noailhac [there are two taxi services at Conques and the tourist office will help you reserve one] ... your other option of course, especially if the weather is fine, is to spend half a day exploring Conques and then walk in the afternoon to Noailhac and stay there the night in one of the accommodations before heading on to Decazeville or Livinhac-le-Haut ... btw there is a food truck near where the track turns down to Decazeville ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We walked from Conques to Livinhac le Haut and didn't go down in to Decazeville at all as advised by the staff at the Monastry albergue, following back roads once we had climbed out of Conques.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi, newish pilgrim here, 20, Irish, I completed the Ingles last year and absolutely loved it, and am now setting off on le Chemin du Puy + el Camino Frances on Wednesday. I need to receive a...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back