• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Bikes on trains/buses from SdC

Andrij

I'm fairly certain I read somewhere (here?) that there was no problem taking bikes on trains from Santiago to Santander (via Palencia). I've just had an email from the RENFE agent in London saying no bikes permitted between Santander and Palencia.

I know bikes aren't allowed on long distance routes (like the 08:42 ALVIA service to Barcelona) except on sleepers, but is this also the case on the 09:25 service which goes on to Hendaya?

If I can't get my bicycle on a train from Santiago it appears I can get it on a bus. Does anyone know the requirements for transporting a bicycle on an ALSA bus? Must it be boxed/bagged?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ALSA

Renfe:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, falcon269.

I had missed the ALSA information when I searched earlier. Very helpful.

As for RENFE, I've seen that text, but I'm not clear on how to tell the difference between AVE/Larga Distancia services and the Media Distancia and Cercanías services.

It will be shown on the schedule and on your ticket. AVE is between major cities. Renfe's translation, not mine!

Thank you very much for your continued patience.

There are two trains leaving SdC on the day I have in mind. There first one is shown as ALVIA, which I know is a Larga Distancia route. The second departure is the one I'm interested in, details (including second leg from Palenciato Santader) are as follows.
Train 1 99900 CON ENLACE
Dep 09:25
Arr 16:24
Link Palencia
Dep 18:56
Arr 22:16
Train 2 18105 REGIONAL
The second train is obviously regional, so no problem for bikes. But I can't work out the first train. For reference, Train 1 runs from A Coruña to Hendaya.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yesterday I received confirmation that the 09:25 is also off-limits to bikes.
I'm certain when I looked into this last year bikes were OK, but the route ran along the north coast...

It looks like I'll now be taking my bike on the coach to Santander. [makes mental note to borrow a bike bag] Does anyone have experience of this journey? I've read too many horror stories of bikes being damaged in transit so am rather paranoid about mine being taken as cargo!

I want to cycle to SdC but return to France in some sort of vehicle. I have read all these posts attentively. I am grateful for their effort, but I don't feel much further forward.

Is there a website or sites that gives clear information on train and bus schedules, from Santiago to Irun, including connections, including facility for bikes? My Spanish is rudimentary, but I think I could interpret such a site if I could find it.

The website for Vueling, the Spanish low cost airline, is a model of clarity. However, all the available and affordable flights seem to go via Barcelona. I don't want to double the risk to the bike by having it on and off loaded twice. Hence bus or train

Thanks

If you are not alone a hire-car can be a cheap and convenient alternative to train or bus. Without wheels most bikes will fit in the back of a compact hatchback.

The FEVE narrow gauge train route from Ferrol takes bikes along the North coast but is a long and scenic alternative.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum