• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bikes on the camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

eloraguy

Time of past OR future Camino
Think it is time to evaluate walkers and bikers to cohabitate the Camino?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have had many of these discussions lately, and frankly, none go very well. This seems like an open-ended invitation to start the slinging, so I would ask that if you want to have a civil discussion about bikes on the camino, you would start by recognizing that the camino is open to bikes and cyclists, and that it is a place where good manners and considerate behavior is essential, on both sides. We will get nowhere with debates between “rude cyclists who don’t use a bell and charge down the path” and “oblivious chattering pilgrims walking four abreast to block the trail.”

Maybe I’m feeling unrealistically hopeful this morning, but if things go south, the lock button is at the ready.

My opinion is that discussions between cyclists and walkers do not only occur on the Camino. In the Netherlands we also have this, especially in the forests and on normal cycle paths with electric bicycles that go significantly faster than normal bicycles. In my opinion, evaluation is pointless. It doesn't lead to anything at all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An important factor that underlies all such discussions is that there is no governing body for the Camino. The route uses roads of various designations, foot paths, farm roads, etc., that are marked by volunteers and/or local authorities. The route is used by local residents as they go about their daily activities. The route is used by Spanish recreational cyclists to train and enjoy their sport. They are often the cyclists who present the biggest hazards to pilgrims.

So, the Camino and its pilgrims are using an assortment of paths, and they have no exclusive rights.

Any effort to restrict this mixed use must deal with all of the local, regional and national laws and processes.

Personally, I'm not sure of the value of such discussions and they often devolve into unproductive rancor, as my fellow moderators suggest above. Frankly, I worried that this was a trolling post, although I hope I wouldn't see that from a fellow Ontarian. I will support Laurie's optimism and also try and keep a close eye on the thread.

Personally, I'm not sure of the value of such discussions and they often devolve into unproductive rancor, as my fellow moderators suggest above. Frankly, I worried that this was a trolling post, although I hope I wouldn't see that from a fellow Ontarian. I will support Laurie's optimism and also try and keep a close eye on the thread.
I think you have it in one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have just cycled along a coastal route. It takes you through towns along promenades where you negotiate children, prams, cafe seats and people coming at you from each side as they head to and from the sea. All ages. All conditions.

It was particularly busy today because of the fine weather. Not one complaint.

Have seen a similar set up in Gijon. Not sure why people lose their confidence in dealing with a mixed environment when on a Camino.

Perhaps some training at coastal beaches beforehand?

“Think it is time to evaluate walkers and bikers to cohabitate the Camino?” A question mark attached to a statement? Is this a poll? Possible responses include “yes”, “no” and “piss off Troll”. I make no recommendations.

I do wonder what prompted the post. It’s not clear whether the OP has undertaken a Camino either on foot or on the dread velocipide but I’m sure the mods could do us all a favour and close this thread so that members can concentrate on sharing and helping.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
“Think it is time to evaluate walkers and bikers to cohabitate the Camino?” A question mark attached to a statement? Is this a poll? Possible responses include “yes”, “no” and “piss off Troll”. I make no recommendations.

I do wonder what prompted the post. It’s not clear whether the OP has undertaken a Camino either on foot or on the dread velocipide but I’m sure the mods could do us all a favour and close this thread so that members can concentrate on sharing and helping.
Just one of several on the forum over the last year. An unfortunate phenomenon (or should that be childish irritation)
Best recognised and ignored.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Why? What's the purpose of the question? What will evaluating serve?
The truth in the matter is that there is no purpose in the question (if there is one). The question that needs answering is the motive behind it.
Of late there have been quite a few posts appearing that the original poster has absolutely no interest in or in listening or viewing the responses.
The motive is to get the forum members to respond amongst themselves.. If the subject matter is contentious or subject to causing arguments then this is an added bonus.
To respond to the OP is largely pointless in these cases as, with previous examples, they are never seen again.
It is, perhaps, an issue worthy of discussing at the next Zoom meeting between Ivar and the moderators and whether an acceptable solution is available to counteract an uptick in trolling threads

Last edited:
Take it up with local authorities. Good luck with that.

If people could stop polluting this subforums and genuine threads with these pointless questions it would be great. If these threads could be locked or deleted shortly after posting even better

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Okay. This doesn't seem to be developing into a productive thread, just questions about the validity of the thread. I'm going to lock it.

If someone wants to start a productive thread about getting along, I would be okay with that, but this doesn't seem to be developing into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back