• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

bus/trains on north coast

iika

Hello to everybody,

Just found luckily this forum
I walk from Pamplona to Burgos last April. Now go back on 28th of March and as north coast camino looks very nice nature wise plan to
walk Santander to Ribadesella -
train/bus inland to Oviedo-Leon-Astorga
- walk Astorga to Santiago.

As all the time I have is just till 13th of April I might need to use some bus/train also on north coast. I have found http://www.alsa.ee and http://www.feve.es sites and to my surprise see, that there seems to be only 2 trains and 4-5 busses per day from Santander - I tought that there will be much more traffic.

Are there some more local bus/train lines I'm not aware of?
Can I assume for example that Santander-San Vicente de la Barquera bus will also stop in the smaller villages? This was the first stop Alsa page gave me after Santander. I have tought to take bus out from Santander to Santillana del Mar and go on from there.

Regarding albergue in Santander - is it easy to find? Will take bus from airport.

While French way is very well marked - can I expect the north way to be as good?

Thank's for any replies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Iika,

Some answers and one question: you said to walk Santander-Ribadessella and take the bus out of Santander to Santillana del Mar...???
That's difficult to do both......

Albergue in Santander: easy to find near the cathedral. Albergue Santos Martires in Ruamayor 9 is from the local Federacion Camino Norte.

Route is not as well marked as the CF but much better than I thought when I walked in May 2006. Take a guide from the UK association.

My experiences with the bus: when getting in ask the driver to give you a sign: he will stop also in the little villages.
And yes: there's a train from Ribadesella to Oviedo and there you can take the train or bus to Leon.

Good luck!

Thanks sillydoll and paulus,

As I might be short of time for all my plans - I really tought to bus Santander -Santillana del Mar and then enjoy more the landscape from there onwards. So I could reach Cobreces in the evening.

I'm based in Estonia, so UK associations do not help me much at the moment :wink:

But I believe that it will work out fine after all. I will see it in 3 days!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good luck and...Buen Camino.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum