• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Cabinet of curiosities

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Annually - often more - from 2014
In a recent exchange @Tincatinker referred to his cabinet of curiosities, so I thought I’d share a (not very good) picture of mine.

Top shelf: various Semana Santa figurines from Seville, Malaga and Madrid; one of my great-uncle Jack’s chisels (master cabinet maker); a porcupine quill from Namibia, a Neapolitan good luck charm, a dodo from Mauritius (a present, I’ve never been), various Indian elephants, a British army colour-party (I’m ex army), my wife’s nursing qualification badge and various medals of mine.

Second shelf: olives from the garden of gethsemane, a yarmulke from the western wall in Jerusalem (I’m not Jewish), a panoramic view of Jerusalem, candles from the church of the holy sepulchre. A quill pen from the Royal College of Arms.

Third shelf: various Camino memorabilia, lava from mount Etna, sand from the kalahari desert; ditto Sahara desert; a champagne cork from our 20th wedding anniversary, a bit of string which one of our long deceased cats loved to play with. Agricultural show prize tickets.

Fourth shelf: crosses from Palm Sunday, various minerals, wristbands from various Spanish hermandades

Bottom shelf: Singapore sling glass from Raffles Hotel (paid for!), many Compostelas in tubes, carved balls from Mysore, a golden eagle feather from Skye.

I’ve missed a few things, but you get the idea

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum