• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Caminho do Este de Portugal (Tavira - Santiago de Compostela)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the possible link. A number of years ago, before we were aware of Camino we drove the closest road along the Extremedora, but weren't thinking of hiking then.

I happened to walk the southernmost part of this last month, as it follows the Ecovia do Littoral (a cycle-path also usable by walkers) along the coast. The Caminho seems to be marked not just from the town of Tavira, but from the W border of Tavira council. If anything, it is overmarked. It leaves the Ecovia in Altura, heading north (and I also saw markings where it passes Castro Marim train station).

The Ecovia is largely off-road, but I believe the bulk of the Caminho heading north through E Portugal just follows the main roads. There is some info on the route at https://walkingbaesurissantiago.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/2015-etapas-o-caminho-de-santiago-do.html.

The Ecovia itself starts at Cape St Vincent, and roughly follows the S coast eastwards through the Algarve, so if you like you could start anywhere on the coast, such as Faro, and join up with the Caminho further east. Its marking is a bit patchy, though, and it's not officially open yet (I assume the government ran out of money).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
About this route a pilgrim visiting the AACS-CV gives us the joint documents.
Buen Camino
Jean-Luc

Attachments

• DSC_0268.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0269.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0270.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 56