• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Camino del norte : How well indicated is it? Is it challengi

steffy78

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Del Norte (July/Aug 2013)
Hi all!

I'm posting this to have further information about the Camino del Norte. I'm planning to walk it there this summer from Hendaya to Santiago - I reckon it would take me a month.

I already walked the Camino Francès, Fisterra and Portugues in 2010, it took me a little more than a month to walk all the way from France to Fatima via Fisterra - I was doing 50kms per day.

I believe it may be much more challenging as there are many ups and downs but I still hope I can walk 40kms per day.

Is the way well indicated? I remember getting lost on the Camino Portuguès often ending up in the middle of nowhere and moreover people never knew which way to indicate! I speak good Spanish and know the Basque country pretty well, but how challenging will it be in Cantabria?

I look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks everyone.

Cheers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
steffy78 said:
...Is the way well indicated? I remember getting lost on the Camino Portuguès often ending up in the middle of nowhere.... how challenging will it be in Cantabria?

Hello Steffy78. In 2011 as part of a longer journey I walked from Hendaye as far San Vincente de la Barquera on El Camino del Norte before heading over Los Picos de Europe. To guide me I had a tourist brochure with profiles, distances and albergues; arrows and camino art plus the footprints and occasional company of other peregrinos. I made it. I'm confident that you will too.

40 kms a day in Cantabria: No sé. Personally, I couldn't do this day after day on any Camino. I tend to fixate on the scenery too much and conk out after 30-35 kms. I do, however know of others like yourself who thrive on walking extreme distances in challenging places. You can only but try....if you survive let us know

Buen Camino,
-Lovingkindness

Most read last week in this forum