• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just how difficult is the Camino Norte ?

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everybody.
I have completed the Frances and would really love to do the Norte next May but I'm having mixed feelings when reading various threads about how difficult it is ?
Some threads say the first three days from Irun is like the first day out of St Jean crossing the Pyrenees which I actually did in two stages and found to be ok. Although I was very glad I had booked Borda as it rained continuously.
I read somewhere that it's possible to start in Biarritz and have a few days warm up before the difficult stages after Irun but would this route be marked ?
Any advice gratefully received
Thank you in advance 😄

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everybody.
I have completed the Frances and would really love to do the Norte next May but I'm having mixed feelings when reading various threads about how difficult it is ?
Some threads say the first three days from Irun is like the first day out of St Jean crossing the Pyrenees which I actually did in two stages and found to be ok. Although I was very glad I had booked Borda as it rained continuously.
I read somewhere that it's possible to start in Biarritz and have a few days warm up before the difficult stages after Irun but would this route be marked ?
Thank you in advance 😄
Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
I am at best of average fitness but can’t say I found it difficult at all. Age 57 male with dodgy knees. No training, but I am active at home. Did it at a few days notice. I have very poor upper body strength so the key for me was an extremely light pack. I could have done it carrying close to what many people carry. Think took about 30 days or so from memory. Irun to Santiago. Can’t remember it being particularly any more difficult or easy than Frances. It’s a lovely trip!

Views will vary hugely, understandably , but I think most folks of average fitness which are are reasonable mobile at home, should find it generally fine.

You could always book two nights in San Sebastián, leave your pack there, take a bus to Irun, and walk first stage without pack.

Last edited:
Some threads say the first three days from Irun is like the first day out of St Jean crossing the Pyrenees
That's true! But just walk at your pace and you can do it. You can divide the Irun to San Sebastián stage by spending the night in Pasajes de San Juan.
I started from the Biarritz lighthouse, which isn't actually on the Camino, but easy enough to follow the coastal path.
The rest of the route is marked, but again, if you just stay on the coast you will get there.

Screenshot_20230904_070843_Firefox.jpg

Gronze shows these first stages.

And I used Gronze's new map app on my Android phone. It uses data though.

You can also use the mapy.cz app. It shows the Camino as a dark blue line. You can download map sections on mapy to use offline.

Screenshot_20230904_071340_Mapycz.jpg

And I used mapy to follow some coastal alternatives.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @Mar W ‘How difficult’ will vary depending on who’s answering. So I’ll add my opinion, on the first week or so rather than just the first day.

I’ve walked Irun to Bilbao 3 times, and I think it’s definitely more difficult, in the sense of more climbing, than the equivalent distance on the Frances starting from SJPP. A look at elevation profiles on Gronze for the two paths will show you that objectively. It will also show you what options you have for accommodation (and therefore stages) along the way - not as many as the Frances.

Walking from Biarritz will stretch your legs but, there’s very little climbing involved. Again Gronze has the elevations. It’s a lovely walk.

None of this is to dissuade you - i think that first week of the Norte is fabulous - just giving my opinion of the relative difficulty. 😎

PS. I highly recommend giving yourself time to visit Hondarribia before you start - it’s just a few kms walk or bus ride from Irun. It’s a fabulous town. You can start the Norte from there too, though it’s a more expensive place to stay. Even spending just a few hours tootling around is very enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true! But just walk at your pace and you can do it. You can divide the Irun to San Sebastián stage by spending the night in Pasajes de San Juan.

I started from the Biarritz lighthouse, which isn't actually on the Camino, but easy enough to follow the coastal path.
The rest of the route is marked, but again, if you just stay on the coast you will get there.

View attachment 155719

Gronze shows these first stages.

And I used Gronze's new map app on my Android phone. It uses data though.

You can also use the mapy.cz app. It shows the Camino as a dark blue line. You can download map sections on mapy to use offline.

View attachment 155722

And I used mapy to follow some coastal alternatives.
Thank you @trecile
Plenty of food for thought there and alternatives.
I am really excited planning it and will look at the various maps and apps before making up my mind

I am at best of average fitness but can’t say I found it difficult at all. Age 57 male with dodgy knees. No training, but I am active at home. Did it at a few days notice. I have very poor upper body strength so the key for me was an extremely light pack. I could have done it carrying close to what many people carry. Think took about 30 days or so from memory. Irun to Santiago. Can’t remember it being particularly any more difficult or easy than Frances. It’s a lovely trip!

Views will vary hugely, understandably , but I think most folks of average fitness which are are reasonable mobile at home, should find it generally fine.

You could always book two nights in San Sebastián, leave your pack there, take a bus to Irun, and walk first stage without pack.
Thank you @TravellingMan22
I am as they say fit for my age (a tad older than you) and am heartened to read you did this without too much difficulty .
I used to carry my pack but my last Camino I used my ever improving Spanish to send it on ahead and made life easier for myself.
The only downside obviously was having to book ahead where before that I loved the freedom of just turning up and staying if the fancy took me.
I will weigh up all the options but have decided the Norte will definitely be my next walk in 2024 😁

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Mar W ‘How difficult’ will vary depending on who’s answering. So I’ll add my opinion, on the first week or so rather than just the first day.

I’ve walked Irun to Bilbao 3 times, and I think it’s definitely more difficult, in the sense of more climbing, than the equivalent distance on the Frances starting from SJPP. A look at elevation profiles on Gronze for the two paths will show you that objectively. It will also show you what options you have for accommodation (and therefore stages) along the way - not as many as the Frances.

Walking from Biarritz will stretch your legs but, there’s very little climbing involved. Again Gronze has the elevations. It’s a lovely walk.

None of this is to dissuade you - i think that first week of the Norte is fabulous - just giving my opinion of the relative difficulty. 😎

PS. I highly recommend giving yourself time to visit Hondarribia before you start - it’s just a few kms walk or bus ride from Irun. It’s a fabulous town. You can start the Norte from there too, though it’s a more expensive place to stay. Even spending just a few hours tootling around is very enjoyable.
Thank you @Pelerina you have definitely helped me make up my mind and I will make sure to visit Hondarribia
It sounds lovely and I look forward to tootling around it 😉

Thank you @TravellingMan22
I am as they say fit for my age (a tad older than you) and am heartened to read you did this without too much difficulty .
I used to carry my pack but my last Camino I used my ever improving Spanish to send it on ahead and made life easier for myself.
The only downside obviously was having to book ahead where before that I loved the freedom of just turning up and staying if the fancy took me.
I will weigh up all the options but have decided the Norte will definitely be my next walk in 2024 😁
Very welcome. It a fantastic walk! My only issue was Ribadeo Brodge as I have a very extreme fear of heights!

Thank you in advance 😄
I met an Ex-collegue of mine on the 28th of July in SdC, he did the Norte.

He told me that it was quite nice, not to hard. But sometime annoyingly boring, because there is less to see than on the CF. He walked in company of another Ex-collegue and despite the fact that the second Ex-collegue is an ultra-marathon runner, he suffered a lot. Maybe it depends if you are able to adapt to different situations more easily.

As I walked my CP this July I felt a little misplaced first, missing the "vibe" of the CF. But on the third day I found my inner peace and the last three days after Tui I had fun and good company.

Just walk, they way will tell you, if it's meant for you or not.

BC

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It all depends, pick any order...

1 on the weather
2 on the number of people starting around the time you start
3 when you start ie, day of week
4 if the surf is good 🤦‍♂️
5 if you are well off (€37 Hostel options)
6 Where you start, after Bilbao "may" be more accomodation friendly

Specifically to your question, you can walk from Biarritz Airport, route is fairly well marked, but nothing like the Frances. You need to keep your eyes open! Did a few extra kms 2 days ago, dropping into Hendaye to get to Irun.

Gronze is your friend here. Pay attention to it's advice.

From Irun the @wisepilgrim

app is v helpful

I had the same struggle. I wondered how many people called taxis just to take them over the bridge. It just went on and on!
Yep, it went in and on! I walked over the Ribadeo bridge on a chilly, cloudy, windy day with a bit of spitting rain last spring. I did not stop to take any pictures which is very unlike me and I only looked straight ahead. My only sense of security were the fence railings between me and the water far below and me and the heavy traffic whizzing past. The bridge connects Asturias with Galicia and is 612 meters long.

@Mar W, all good comments above, and I too, loved the Norte. Overall though, I am slightly partial to the first half.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yep, it went in and on! I walked over the Ribadeo bridge on a chilly, cloudy, windy day with a bit of spitting rain last spring. I did not stop to take any pictures which is very unlike me and I only looked straight ahead. My only sense of security were the fence railings between me and the water far below and me and the heavy traffic whizzing past. The bridge connects Asturias with Galicia and is 612 meters long.

@Mar W, all good comments above, and I too, loved the Norte. Overall though, I am slightly partial to the first half.
Here’s a thread I started at time!

I have walked the Norte twice. Lots of rain both times. Not too difficult for me - in my 50s and 60s, but a couple of very dodgy steep muddy descents which are probably OK in dry weather.

The Ribadeo bridge was no problem for me. But the cyclists who had taken all the beds in the albergue before early afternoon was a problem.

Then there is the railway bridge. Crossing this on foot saves a lot of km, but is not encouraged. A local person showed me how to do it on my first Norte. You could always take the train for a couple of stops, which I did on my second Norte.

It is a most enjoyable route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
I'll be 59 this year and will be walking del Norte next April with my brother (64) and a friend from Brazil (29). My strategy is to go slow and enjoy the walk. I walked the Frances a few years ago and feel like I walked too fast and didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. So I will have to do it again.

€149,-
Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
I did the Camino del Norte in 2018 at 59 years of age. It certainly was the most picturesque as well as challenging Camino so far although I will be embarking on the Podiensis in a few days time. The thing to know about the Norte is, it being on the northern coast, the towns and villages are typically at sea level where a tributary or river runs into the ocean. That means you will be walking up in the mornings and down in the later part of the day. I trained in Colorado and definitely felt my training and was glad I had it. It was one spectacular Camino though! Highly recommended.

I walked from Bilbao for two weeks last year after starting on the CF and getting to Pamplona. I found the ups and downs, degree of grade and terrain more difficult that the CF but by that I mean it took me longer (age 72). And note, I can only compare based on where I actually walked. It was so gorgeous there and so much cooler than the CF and I would have stayed on that path to completion. The only reason I didn't is bc I had plans to be in Ireland. I took trains to Ferrol and completed the CI.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
Hi MarW
I walked my first camino at age 65 starting last September (2022) in Irun on the Norte. I had "trained" in New York City's Central Park doing some step-ups onto park benches a few times a week and jogging (incredibly slowly) around the Great Lawn. I hadn't read anything on this forum and had only watched a few YouTube videos which helped me pack. I left Irun at dawn on September 4th and finished in Santiago on October 5 - feeling absolutely exultant and very strong. On my walk I had blisters in the first week and got a shin splint at the end of the second week which lasted until after I got home. The weather cooperated remarkably although Galicia is extremely variable, so sunshine was lovely. I walked a bit one day with Bob from Minnesota who had walked the CF two years prior and really loved that experience. He said that the Norte felt very different but was also amazing. I can only say that I found the Norte spectacular. The first week was hard for this broad (especially the one day walk from Guernica to Bilbao - that was the one day I had my bag shipped ) and then I just loved the beaches and the little port towns and the eucalyptus forests and a cold beer or glass of wine at the end of the day. I stayed in albergues half the time which worked for me but next time I'd probably stay in more albergues. There's a lot of asphalt walking but it is almost never on a route with much traffic. I spent a lot of time alone on the route which suited me perfectly but every day there were a few people around that I could have walked with or interacted with and certainly in the evenings there were people in the albergues. Coming home after my experience was maybe the hardest part! I look forward to my next camino though I'm not sure which one it will be. Hopefully there's some info here which will be helpful to you. Buen camino!
Susan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
I have completed the Frances twice, conquered the Pyrenees with my 14 year old daughter at the time, I was 57, in one day. I just started the Norte from Irun to San Sebastián today. It was a lot of climbing but doable. So much depends on the shape you are in generally. Go for it!!

I did the Camino del Norte in 2018 at 59 years of age. It certainly was the most picturesque as well as challenging Camino so far although I will be embarking on the Podiensis in a few days time. The thing to know about the Norte is, it being on the northern coast, the towns and villages are typically at sea level where a tributary or river runs into the ocean. That means you will be walking up in the mornings and down in the later part of the day. I trained in Colorado and definitely felt my training and was glad I had it. It was one spectacular Camino though! Highly recommended.
Picturesque and spectacular!
What a recommendation 😁
Thank you @WayWalker

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi MarW
I walked my first camino at age 65 starting last September (2022) in Irun on the Norte. I had "trained" in New York City's Central Park doing some step-ups onto park benches a few times a week and jogging (incredibly slowly) around the Great Lawn. I hadn't read anything on this forum and had only watched a few YouTube videos which helped me pack. I left Irun at dawn on September 4th and finished in Santiago on October 5 - feeling absolutely exultant and very strong. On my walk I had blisters in the first week and got a shin splint at the end of the second week which lasted until after I got home. The weather cooperated remarkably although Galicia is extremely variable, so sunshine was lovely. I walked a bit one day with Bob from Minnesota who had walked the CF two years prior and really loved that experience. He said that the Norte felt very different but was also amazing. I can only say that I found the Norte spectacular. The first week was hard for this broad (especially the one day walk from Guernica to Bilbao - that was the one day I had my bag shipped ) and then I just loved the beaches and the little port towns and the eucalyptus forests and a cold beer or glass of wine at the end of the day. I stayed in albergues half the time which worked for me but next time I'd probably stay in more albergues. There's a lot of asphalt walking but it is almost never on a route with much traffic. I spent a lot of time alone on the route which suited me perfectly but every day there were a few people around that I could have walked with or interacted with and certainly in the evenings there were people in the albergues. Coming home after my experience was maybe the hardest part! I look forward to my next camino though I'm not sure which one it will be. Hopefully there's some info here which will be helpful to you. Buen camino!
Susan
Thank you so much for posting Susan
This is really encouraging.
I too would have no problem walking alone and interacting in the evenings . Also I love the sea and little seaside villages so am looking forward very much to that part.
I will get more hillwalking in at home before I go. I'm a bit of a tortoise on the hills but do get there eventually 😂
I hope you find your next Camino and have a truly magical experience 😁

Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
The Norte is a little tough in places, but so too are all the Caminos. Allow a little more time for some stages. The Camino rewards you with some beautiful sections. It is my favourite Camino. Good luck

Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance
Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
There are days that can be difficult. When a friend and I started the Norte, 2 years ago. As we climbed out of Irun, we were given an option to go up and over or stay below the top and go around. We chose up and over. There was a very steep climbs near the top, where it was easier to zig zag across till you got above that area. We had fog, rain and cool temperatures (48 degrees f. ) This was just after Spain opened up, after covid in June 2021 Our feet were soaked on the way down. Go down really took a toll on my buddies knees, so much so that when we got to the harbor and you take the water taxi across to the other side. We ended up taking a bus to San Sébastien. It had been a long day. (The next day, we walked back to the harbor and took a bus back at the harbor back to San Sébastien.) Over the next several days my buddies knee got better and we were able to completed the Norte. One of the other things I remember, early on, was following the yellow arrows that would lead us down off the road, down rocky and uneven trails, that would lead us down to the stream or river below and we'd have to climb up out of the valley to find that we were back on the road. After doing this a couple of times and not helping with the knee situation. We'd look ahead on our maps to see if we could just follow the road around vs going down and back up. We did this several times. We didn't miss anything because you were just walking thru tree tunnels going down into the valley below. There was a few other hills I remember after we had turned Southwest that were pretty good climbs as well. Overall, it's a very good Camino to consider. I liked not being in crowds. I had just turned 60 prior and my buddy was 58. I considered myself in decent shape at the time. (A month after getting home I started to have heart issues and about 6 weeks later I was having stents put in my LAD. There were no indications during the Camino.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi, the route is not difficult at all, my wife and I walked in 2019 just before COVID hit. The whole route, took 30 days with a couple of days in between stops for a rest. There are a few climbs and a long descent in Bilbao, but other than that it is just a bunch of steps. We used walking poles which helped us and we used Correos Bag service a few times, especially on the really big climbs i was 75 when we walked

I thought I was going to DIIIIIIIIIE!!!!!

I watched this a few days before I crossed and watched it again yesterday. Thank you for producing it as I like to know what I am dealing with. I remember visiting the bridge the night before I walked it and ‘edging’ out a few metres. and feeling quite sick and very apprehensive. I’m very impressed you were able to hold a phone for a few metres. Thankfully I managed to do it (as per linked post) but my fear of heights is as strong as ever!

Don’t worry folks, this won’t be an issue for 99.9% of people!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The bridge into Portomarín, on the Francés, isn’t as bad, but I walked in the road (not heavily traveled) rather than on the sidewalk next to the railing.

Fun fact: I’ve skydived three times.

The bridge into Portomarín, on the Francés, isn’t as bad, but I walked in the road (not heavily traveled) rather than on the sidewalk next to the railing.

Fun fact: I’ve skydived three times.
I think I did that too re Portomarin bridge.

Skydiving!!! That said I did a bungee jump once. I have a video at the top looking so relaxed smiling and waving but I was petrified!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everybody.
Thank you in advance 😄
I started in San Sebastian and spent a couple of days there as well. It is a wonderful city. I did not find the Norte hard and I did it at 72. The only training I did was 2 days a week of mountain and volcano climbing and 3 days at the gym but everyone is different. attitude as a lot to do with it.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.