• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte...Laredo to Santander

Samphires

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte April 2024
Hey all,
I am walking Camino del Norte route in April this year. Cannot wait! I am trying to decide will I go from Laredo to Noja, and then Noja to Sandander, or from Laredo to Guemes, and then Guemes to Santander?

Has anyone any preferences or advice on which way to walk? Thank you, Ciarán

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Ciarán, welcome to the forum. Just an observation, Laredo to Guemes is just shy of 29k with some uphill. A long day perhaps.

Guemes to Santender is very doable, at just over 15k and a little uphill.

The Albergue in Guemes is a draw for some. I stayed in Noya, but its a personal preference really.

Do you use Gronze? Many of us here have use it.

Open in Chrome and it will machine translate into English (or many other languages). Beware of translations of place names.

Happy planning!

Hi Ciarán, welcome to the forum. Just an observation, Laredo to Guemes is just shy of 29k with some uphill. A long day perhaps.

Guemes to Santender is very doable, at just over 15k and a little uphill.

The Albergue in Guemes is a draw for some. I stayed in Noya, but its a personal preference really.

Do you use Gronze? Many of us here have use it.

Open in Chrome and it will machine translate into English (or many other languages). Beware of translations of place names.

Happy planning!
Hi Donal, thanks for your message and advice. I'm leaning towards Noja, this seems to give 2 days of equal and manageable distances. Like you mentioned 29km and fairly uphill could be a tough day!

On my previous caminos I've only ever used a guidebook, A Wise Pilgrim Guide. But I just had a quick look at Gronze.com, and it seems super informative. Thanks for letting me know about it

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey all,
I am walking Camino del Norte route in April this year. Cannot wait! I am trying to decide will I go from Laredo to Noja, and then Noja to Sandander, or from Laredo to Guemes, and then Guemes to Santander?

Well I just can’t resist the urge to tell you what I recommend you do AFTER Santander rather before. And that is the coastal alternative. Instead of a fairly drab walk past chemical plants, the walk along the coast is just beautiful. Lots of info here here, and here. And there are more threads if you just search “Santander” and “coast”.

Feel free to disregard, after all it is unsolicited advice, but I have never met anyone who raved about the walk on the official camino from Santander, nor have I ever met anyone who did not rave about the coastal alternative.

Hi Donal, thanks for your message and advice. I'm leaning towards Noja, this seems to give 2 days of equal and manageable distances. Like you mentioned 29km and fairly uphill could be a tough day!

On my previous caminos I've only ever used a guidebook, A Wise Pilgrim Guide. But I just had a quick look at Gronze.com, and it seems super informative. Thanks for letting me know about it
Gronze is generally (not absolutely) up to date, make sure to register on the site so you can see the comments.

The Norte @wisepilgrim is great too...

Ultimately all these guides depend on the quality of information at a given time,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey all,

Avoid any of the routes on the road if possible.....too dangerous...e.g between el pontarron and Laredo. You will indeed get there by the most direct route but a bit risky ....if you do take the road routes I would always walk on the left....I e. Facing the oncoming traffic. And also on that road I came across a left turn off the main road indicated by coloured arrows ....red and blue on the actual road...I would ignore those type of unofficial markings..

Note the ferry from Laredo to Santona is not running in the off season. But in April I think you'll be OK and you may want to check here first: https://excursionesmaritimas.com/barca-del-puntal/

For me, the stay in Güemes has been one of the highlights of our Camino del Norte.
I have just researched the albergue in Guemes...it has some beautiful reviews and stories from there. It sounds great! I am in two minds what to do, but I guess I will just leave Laredo and see where the Camino brings me!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.