• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino del norte

Rini

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the Camino in June 2015
Hi. We will be walking the Camino del norte during June this year and can you please help me with the following:
1. We have 10 days to walk and where should we start and end. We would like to walk most of the time close to the coast
2. Where can I find some information on places to stay

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Rini! Welcome to the forum!

1. We have 10 days to walk and where should we start and end. We would like to walk most of the time close to the coast

It depends. If you are interested in getting a Compostela, you must end in Santiago de Compostela and a 10 days walk ending in Santiago de Compostela would make Luarca a good starting point for you. Otherwise, you have much more walking options what could make selection (much) more difficult...

Any guide will tell you. There are some free guides online. You can also find some info browsing the Camino del Norte area of this forum...

San Sebastian (Donostia) to Santander would be my choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Start in Irun and walk to Santander, you will walk along some lovely beaches, and cliffs which look down on the sea. You can always come back in the future and continue the walk from Santander towards Santiago.

Hi. We will be walking the Camino del norte during June this year and can you please help me with the following:
If you want to include some mountain trails, yes start at Irun and go as far as you can.
An overview of the northern route is here:
http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenidos/informacion/x65_folletos/en_x65/folletos/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

If you don't have a command in Spanish, the cicerone northern camino guidebook contains all the info you need, including accommodation recommendation. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1852847948/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

One option would be from Bilbao to Ribadasella. Here are my stages /accommodation:

0. [22k] Pobena, mostly boring road walk from Bilboa, take the train
1. [17.5k] Castro Urdales (Alb Municipal, 5eu, 3km from town, avoid it if you want town action)
2. [30.1k] Laredo, walked to Liendo 24k and then bus to Laredo(casa trinidad, 10eu, private, run by the nuns)
3.[30.6k]Guemes (bus to Santona & walk 25.xk to Guemes (motel style alb Guemes, donativo)
4.[17.1k]Santander (hostel b&b&b, 15eu, Dinner at La Barboletta)
5.[33k]Santilla del mar, bus out of Santander and then walked 25k (pension Posada Revolgo, 20eu)
6.[27.5k]San vicente, walked to camillas 23k, bus to san vicente(Alb basic, 10eu)
7.[26.5k]Perubeles (Alb aves de paso, Donativo, private, communal meals)
8.[19k]Playa de poo (Private alberque, food not the best)
9.[20k]Cuerres, 6km before Ribadesella (Private alb run by a German couple, excellent)
10.[6k]Ribadasella, (hostel Juvenile,on the beach, 15eu)

Last edited:
If you start in Barreda, just west of Santander and easily accessible by FEVE (train) then you walk a lovely part of the Camino between the mountains and the sea. Depending on how far you want to walk in a day you would at least reach Ribadasella. Starting in Barreda avoids walking therough the industrial area which extends basically as far as west of Requejada.
Barreda to Santillana del Mar (7.4kms)
Santillana to Cóbreces (11.6kms)
Cóbreces to Comillas (9kms)
Comillas to San Vicente de la Barquera (12kms)
San Vicente to Bustio/Unquera ( 15kms)
Bustio/Unquera to Pendueles (12kms) Alb Aves de Paso and also rooms in the cafe-bar's albergue.
Pendueles to Llanes (13kms)
Llanes to Nueva/Piñeres de Pría
Nueva/Piñeres de Pría to Ribadasella
Distances are taken from our last Camino although we have walked the Llanes to Ribadasella section previously.
You can find more details and lists of accomodation with prices on the Gronze site - Camino del Norte section Etapas 13-17 inclusive.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi! I am planning to walk Camino del Norte in July 2015.

Do you know how many days it takes from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela (and then to Fisterra) ? I'm a woman, average health condition. Never walked so much before, so I have no idea how much I can walk per day.

Thanks a lot for help!

Do you know how many days it takes from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela (and then to Fisterra) ? I'm a woman, average health condition. Never walked so much before, so I have no idea how much I can walk per day.

Thanks a lot for help!
Hi m8ck8,
So many unknowns here (fitness level, experience, timing, backpack) to give a definitive suggestion.
The English language guide (cicerone) breaks the Norte (Bilbao-sdc) into 25 stages and Finistere into 3 stages. That is a total of 28 days, IF YOU CAN WALK THE DISTANCE in those stages. Average person usually walk about 20 km comfortably and 25 if/when fitter.

First thing to do is training walks. Get a good pair of walking shoe/boot and walk. Start with short distances and then gradually increase it to 15-20k and determine your walking range. Most people also carry the pack weight to simulate camino conditions. This will sort out any foot issues and build up your stamina and confidence to tackle the 800 km walk.

Then get a guidebook and plan for daily stage that you would be comfortable with (15/20/25k?) and estimate the number of days you might need to walk your camino. And add as a rule of thumb, 1 day per week/ten days as a rest day. Bear in mind that it is easy to bus/taxi part of a stage in/out of major industrial towns so as to keep the walking distance within your limit and still reach your stage destination.

Once you are on the camino, take it easy during the first week and give your entire body to adapt to the daily grind. Have a good night sleep. Listen to your body and attend to any foot/musle issues that might develop. With good training/preparation, you should be ok.

You are choosing the busiest/hottest time of the season, i hope you can cope with heat/traffic.

If you are limited by time, skip certain section and still get to sdc in time for your return.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RVEO89C/?tag=casaivar02-20
Buen Camino

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thanks a lot for help!
I find that a comfortable walking day is around 15kms, sometimes a little less and once on the Camino some 20km days. I like the Gronze site as it gives distances between places, all the 'stages' and also accomodation so is very useful for planning ones own stages. The CSJ guide is also very helpful (it is in 2 booklets) for directions along the Camino 'Caminos del Norte; Ruta de la Costa A 1&2'. (Los Caminos del Norte is only an outline of what the Camino is.)
With these you can try to work out your own plan and then work out how many days you will need. If you are limited for time then work it from Santiago backwards to decide a start point, or which bit(s) to miss earlier in the walk.

Most read last week in this forum

please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks
An article on the El Correo website reporting on very high occupancy rates at the albergue in Markina on the Camino del Norte. Full almost daily...
I’m travelling to Irún today to start my Camino tomorrow morning - I’m flying to Biarritz getting in at 4pm, planning on catching the bus to Hendaye and walking to the pilgrims hostel from there...
Hello everyone, I will have to work digitally about every other day from Irun to SdC (bringing an iPad). What are the wifi connections like along the entire route? What about the Primitivo? Thanks.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.