• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Camino in May: Do I take only a fleece or a jacket as well.

Nigel Rosewell

Time of past OR future Camino
never walked the Camino before
I am starting my Camino in late May, will a fleece alone be enough or should I take my lightweight Gore Tex waterproof as well because i'm sure it will be cold some morning especially where the path is at high attitude in the mornings.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Take a waterproof of some description. A wet fleece is a cold fleece.
The waterproof will also be a good windblock

i'm sure it will be cold some morning especially where the path is at high attitude in the mornings.

Nigel, as with many other things, coldness is in the "eye of the beholder", or relative.

From your avatar it looks as though you might live in a tropical climate. So my training/preparation may not be much use to you.

But: As part of my training regime I try to get going well before sunrise and wear one short sleeve merino top and merino gloves. If there is any wind I also put on a very lightweight (70 gram) wind jacket. Starting quickly means, for me, good generation of body heat. And I have a long sleeve merino top just inside the pack if I want to add to the clothing being worn. But that is me and comes from my training regime. And an overwhelming desire to travel with the lightest weight on my back: so I can best enjoy my journey.

You will have different circumstances and needs.

Kia kaha

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would say yes,take the light fleece and the Goretex jacket. I'm not a fan of ponchos so that's what I take for rainwear and often just wear my Goretex on cold mornings or as windbreak. Mainly use my fleece in the evenings.

Most read last week in this forum