• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece/jacket necessary in august?

DavidAt

Time of past OR future Camino
August 1- august 29 Camino del Norte from Bilbao!
Hello everyone!

I will be walking the Camino del Norte starting august first. I can’t quite figure out what warm layers I need, if any. I’m thinking of just a light weight fleece. Would that be enough? Is it too much?

I have a rain poncho that I’m bringing as well.

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum.

The secret to choosing clothes is always to take layers that can be combined in different ways. It is impossible to say if one item is "needed" without knowing how the various items can be combined. Two light shirts are better than one heavy one. You say you have a light fleece. What other items could be layered with it, for example on a cool evening while other items are being washed and dried?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always bring a fleece jacket and a longsleeved thermoshirt, so I can wear one of them when the other one is hanging to dry and I could also combine them if really cold. The last thing (combining them) won't be necessary on the Norte in August, so if you don't mind risking to feel a little bit chilly when your fleece jacket is hanging to dry you could also just bring a fleece. But I would always bring one warm layer.

I brought a light weight Columbia fleece pullover and a Patagonia Nano puffy jacket and there were a few days early in the morning when I had to use the plus my rain jacket on top, but I’m from Florida and not used to cold weather. We walked August 30-October 2, mainly early in the mornings temperatures were in the 40s and 50s, and it came in handy. Also my rain jacket was lightweight, but a good wind breaker. Hope this helps! BUEN CAMINO

Hello everyone!

I will be walking the Camino del Norte starting august first. I can’t quite figure out what warm layers I need, if any. I’m thinking of just a light weight fleece. Would that be enough? Is it too much?

Thanks!
Yes!! It's too much!! Bring a lightweight long sleeve ( think gauze) shirt, even a down puffy that sqooches down to nothing and is much lighter than fleece but you won't need that until possibly towards the end. And I would rethink the poncho. They make very lightweight very effective rain jackets that also look kinda nice for wearing around towns. Ponchos are good for backpacking but you will be walking around a lot of towns.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
I don't have a jacket with me, nor have I needed one over the past two months. Walked Madrid, Frances from Sahagún to O Cebrerio and Portuguese from Tui.

Currently on the North West coast.

And I would rethink the poncho. They make very lightweight very effective rain jackets that also look kinda nice for wearing around towns. Ponchos are good for backpacking but you will be walking around a lot of towns.
I wouldn't rethink the poncho!! Yes, you will be walking around towns, but not half as much as you'll be on the trail!!
To be fair, I'm not too worried about how I look - I care more about comfort and practicality.
I've worn both. In my personal opinion, poncho's are better. Especially the ones with proper arms - they're like a jacket , but with the added bonus of protection for your pack, (day pack when you are in town) and they hang down lower than a jacket, so in August you won't need rain pants too. The bottom of your shorts might get wet, but that's about it. Plus, once I'd practised a couple of times, I can pull it out of the side pocket of my pack and put it on without even stopping. And yes, I use poles. Don't know how I'd manage that in a sudden downpour with a jacket!
They also come in their own pouch - useful for dirty clothes, whilst the poncho stayed, easily accessible, in the side pocket...
I carried a long sleeved Merino, +light weight puffer, and used both. To be fair, on the Primitivo, so perhaps a little cooler. But July... I'm writing this in the train on the way home.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use a very thinly padded jacket that also keeps of the wind and the occasional drop of rain. I would never travel anywhere without it, no matter the season.
Yes, it's likely that i would not need it right now, but weather can change and who knows what it will be like in 3 weeks from now. So better have options available. Does not have to be heavy, layer with some other items as needed. Also not bad to have an extra if everything else is in the washer.

Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Weather is not predictable, you will be near the ocean, ponchos are not jackets so they seldom provide warmth, layering will help. Tshirt, long sleeve shirt, light fleece, rain jacket could be a good combination. Be prepared.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Rain Jacket and light weight fleece will be plenty. Layer up if necessary.

Yes!! It's too much!! Bring a lightweight long sleeve ( think gauze) shirt, even a down puffy that sqooches down to nothing and is much lighter than fleece but you won't need that until possibly towards the end. And I would rethink the poncho. They make very lightweight very effective rain jackets that also look kinda nice for wearing around towns. Ponchos are good for backpacking but you will be walking around a lot of towns.
Most puffys weigh around 300-400g with fleeces in the 150-200g range. Lightweight baselayer, fleece and possibly lightweight rainshell (my black diamond stormline is amazing for wind) should cover most conditions

It depends on where you are from. I am from northern Alberta and not bothered by cold that much as we deal with snow six months a year. On the other hand I don't do well with temps over 32 C
If it is above 0 C, I am in shorts.
I typically go early spring on my walks, but when we did the Primitivo it was in September.
I might have been in long sleeves in the very early morning on a few days, but typically started almost every day in shorts and a T shirt on the Primitivo.
A rain poncho is a good idea though although in six Caminos I have only had one spring trip where I ever used one more than once.
So in summary, depending on your tolerance to cold ( what you are acclimatised to) I would personally minimize the weight of cold weather clothing for a summer, early fall Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.