• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Carry a GPS?

dancamino2010

Hello- I'm planning on walking the Via de la Plata this spring, starting in Caceres and ending in Santiago. I lived for a short time in the village of Guadalupe (aout 90 miles from Caceres) when I was in my late 20s – about 10,000 years ago, if I remember right :>) so I know that part of Spain can be rough going. I also am prone to making wrong turns.

So, I'm thinking of carrying a GPS. Has anyone out there used one? Any brands or models that would download maps of that part of Spain?

I'll be walking alone and this will be my first Camino. So, any good advice will be much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello dancamino2010, greetings from the albergue in Xunqueiuria de Ambia, a pueblo in Galicia on the Camino Via de la Plata. A peregrino has just walked in and he is currently making the GPS points for Google Earth, for the stages of the Camino in Galicia. His friends are currently making the GPS points for the other Caminos in time for the Jubilee Year 2010. These GPS points will be available in two weeks tiome on http://www.xacobeo.com . Perhaps these will be of use to you. Regards, Lovingkindness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is true... it will be available at http://www.xacobeo.es ... in a bit more than 2 weeks maybe, but "soon".

Saludos,
Ivar

Hi,

In my opinion it's no necessary.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I carried a GPS on my 2011 Camino. I really didn't need it for navigation (though it helped me find a few albergues) but I did use it to geotag my pictures. I also used the tracks to document my Camino on my blog.

I am now thinking of buying a camera with built-in GPS so it can geotag pictures.

Could I have done the Camino without it? Sure. Was it useful to know how much farther ahead my destination was as I walked? Yes. Would I carry it again? Not sure. If my camera geotags pictures then carrying a GPS would probably not be necessary.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum