• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Christmas and New Years Camino Portuguese - Central or Costal?

zinco

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter 2015/6
Hi All,

I get into Porto on Dec 22, and am looking to walk to Santiago. Would it be better to walk the central or the costal at this time of year? and will I need to book alberges/hostels/pensions in advance?
I have walked the Frances at Christmas before, and just winged it, not sure that would work for the Portugese.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think I would call ahead unless you know a place will be open 365 days a year like the Xunta albergues. On Gronze.com some of the albergues and hotels say they are open in winter, but to call and "confirm". I don't think it means you have to pre-book the whole route, but maybe it will help you to know if where you are thinking of stopping is going to be open.

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I am still not sure what is the best route to take, or which will have most people. I will have to do more rooting around.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum