• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese or Camino de Invierno

KAD309

Time of past OR future Camino
May 20222
Hello fellow pilgrims. I am planning my third Caminio for this Spring (last week of May and first week of June). In 2022, I walked the Frances alone from SJPP to Burgos and I fell in love with the Camino. This year, 2023, I walked the Frances again, this time with my daughter, from SJPP to Santiago - it was beyond our expectations. Even though I was plagued by seriously infected blisters and had get hospital treatment a few times, stop walking for a few days while the antibiotics worked, and literally dragged myself for the last 100 km to Santiago, it was still the best experience, especially sharing it with my daughter.

That being said, this year, I can only take two weeks and was all set on walking the Camino Portuguese alone from Porto and then I started looking at the Camino de Invierno. While I'm tending towards the Camino de Invierno, I wonder if more seasoned pilgrims than myself can provide some of their experiences on these two caminos. I know they are completely different and that the Invierno will likely be more isolated and I'll have to shorten some of the stages since my limits don't allow for walking 35km stages.

As mentioned above, I've walked the Frances alone and never felt in any danger or uncomfortable and wonder if the same sense of safety is present on the Invierno ?

Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't walked the Invierno but I would say the main point to consider is whether you want a camino similar to your Francés experience or something quite different. The Portuguese from Porto (especially the Central) is very well travelled and has similar facilities to the Francés (Porto is the second most common starting point on any camino after Sarria). You'll be able to connect with other pilgrims, stop pretty frequently at cafés etc if you want to, and have a wide variety of accommodation options and stage possibilities available to you. The Invierno is much more remote and there will be many fewer pilgrims and facilities, meaning you might have to plan your stages more carefully and it will be more solitary/lonely. So I would say the first question to ask yourself is: which type of experience do you want?

Yes, absolutely. Since 2019 I have walked the Invierno 4 times, relatively alone and I'm 69 years and counting. Many women on this forum have walked it alone as well. Every day there is more infrastructure and more Peregrinos walking, though it still is one of the Caminos less traveled. A beautiful, perfect walk. Hoping to go again in the Fall, with a Peregrina I met on the Salvador as a celebration of our respective 70th birthdays. Go for it and Buen Camino!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Invierno is becoming more popular and better supported than it used to be. Stages under 35 km shouldn’t be a problem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to add another option - I'd highly recommend the Camino Sanabres. Start in Zamora or Granja de Morerula, through a beautifully varied landscape, interesting albergues, a "hidden" monestary, tiny stone villages, over purple heather covered granite, roman roads, oak groves - and even shares the final stages w/ the Invierno into Santiago. I've walked the Invierno, and for me the Sanabres is far more varied and interesting.

Just to add another option - I'd highly recommend the Camino Sanabres. Start in Zamora or Granja de Morerula, through a beautifully varied landscape, interesting albergues, a "hidden" monestary, tiny stone villages, over purple heather covered granite, roman roads, oak groves - and even shares the final stages w/ the Invierno into Santiago. I've walked the Invierno, and for me the Sanabres is far more varied and interesting.
I'm planning to walk the Sanabres this coming mid April and your words since you have already walked it are validating my reasons for choosing this route...can't wait!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back