• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Climbing on the camino?

nicholas ridiculous

Time of past OR future Camino
no camino experience hoping to do saint jean to santiago
I'm a first time camino..er and am going in march around the 17th I was wondering if it was worth it to hang out in paris at all I'm not much for sight seeing and I'm flying to paris all by my self. I was also considering bringing a pair of climbing shoes and I know it's a long shot but is there much climbing on the route? be it a gym or something?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My gut response regarding climbing would be no... though I will not claim to have looked for a climbing gym in any city. Guess you may be able to locate one in Burgos or Leon since they are bigger, but the chances are slim to none that you would find them in other towns along the Way. As for climbing on actual rock... there may be times when you can find some spots to boulder just off the road, but the majority of the time if you leave the path it is likely you will be on someone's private property. And then there is the week you are on the Meseta where there will be nothing around you at all! My brother is a huge climber and I know he would be interested in taking his shoes as well I would think of it like this: are you willing to carry the shoes the whole way even for ONE day of climbing? If so, then sure, take them-- and any other days will be a bonus!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My wife and I really enjoyed a few hours walking tour with Paul and his wife Paulina. It is a 'pay what you think it is worth' type thing and Paul is a real history buff and we found it a great intro to a very walkable city. He saved us more than the cost of the tour in suggesting great local eateries and shops to buy gear/clothing at the last minute for the rest of our trip. I enjoyed it so much I'd go again if I had a day or two in Paris.
http://www.wegowalking.com/

I included notes about this day in my blog at https://theotherjew.blogspot.com/2016/10/paris-history-unfolds-in-city-of-lights.html if you want to read more.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum