• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Cross near Portomarin?

k1ypp

I'm curious about this cross near Portomarin. It must have some particular significance, judging by all the items left there, but I haven't seen any information about it. Across the intersection from it was a place with a number of bicycle tubes left there. Anyone know the story of this cross?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It was there in 2009 and also in 2010. I assume it is still there.
It held different "regalia" both times I saw it and different from the picture posted here.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It certainly must have some significance, judging by all the items left there. Either that or people just like to leave things at crosses along the Camino. I was concerned that if I stopped along the way and stuck my arms out, people would start leaving things on me.

Hopefully someone will know that story of this particular place. I regret I didn't photograph all the bicycle tubes on the other side of the intersection. An awful lot of people must be having flats there.

I notice items of footwear near the foot of that cross. What could have prompted three pilgrims to leave them there?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum