• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Descent into Portomarin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Autumn, 2023
My wife and I (both mid-70’s) have been surprised by how treacherous some of the descents have been. Steep trails that have washouts, leaving deep ruts and narrow pathways and sharp, jagged rocks - lots of them!
How is the descent into Portomarin?
We have watched dozens of YouTube videos and they’re always positive, never addressed how steep and slippery things can become.
We would appreciate an accurate view of the descent into Portomarin from anyone willing to help us out.
Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I (both mid-70’s) have been surprised by how treacherous some of the descents have been. Steep trails that have washouts, leaving deep ruts and narrow pathways and sharp, jagged rocks - lots of them!
We have watched dozens of YouTube videos and they’re always positive, never addressed how steep and slippery things can become.
We would appreciate an accurate view of the descent into Portomarin from anyone willing to help us out.
Thank you.
I prefer the old route.
To me, though steep, it's safer.
Someone posted a photo of the new path in a group I saw yesterday.
I'll see if I can find it.

Here is a video I found:
Descent into Portomarin

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yeah it's steep, rocky and narrow. Yet nothing that holds a candle to Zubiri. Alto Perdon & Molinaseca IMHO.
The good news is that there are 2 more variations, slightly longer but less difficult.
Take your pick.
Good luck and Buen Camino

As others have said, one approach into Portomarin is more steep and rugged.

When you get close to Portomarin, there are two options. To the LEFT is the more rugged route, and to the RIGHT is the less difficult route. I believe it is the same distance for both. Buen Camino!

I took the steep route, but I didn't think it was all that bad. But if there are tons of High School Kids they may make you feel a little rushed. I have the steep route documented here:
Go to the 23 minute mark in the video

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you.
Take the right hand option. It is a steep descent but all paved - like walking down a steep quiet road or lane. I walked this in June this year - and it doesn’t even register alongside treacherous descents like Zubiri in wet weather, Alto del Perdon or - worst in my opinion - Rabanal to Molinaseca, especially after El Acebo.

There’s an easy way to go. Took it last year. Start out on the left-hand trail. After a little ways you’ll see a small blacktop road branch off on the left. It’s quite pleasant and goes down to the road that goes along the river. Turn right and you’ll see the bridge shortly. This is all on your map app or google earth.

Last year we turned around on the steep rugged route - in our 60’s - our knees found the steep wet rugged downs a bit treacherous - if it’s dry it would be more doable - but one twisted knee and …. Well you know - right? 🤞💪

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As others have said, one approach into Portomarin is more steep and rugged.

When you get close to Portomarin, there are two options. To the LEFT is the more rugged route, and to the RIGHT is the less difficult route. I believe it is the same distance for both. Buen Camino!
I went left, more rugged, and darn near fell face forward. Honestly, I feel Saint James grabbed my pack and set me upright, no other reason for why I didn't face plant. This is one of the options where "right is right" is the rule to follow.

The sign was kind of blurry and washed out a couple of months ago. Fortunately, I could make out that the path to the left had the word “experto” next to it. Not my arthritic knees!! I went to the right and even that was ouchie. I talked to some who went left and they regretted it. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I was surprised by the challenges of some of the descents, with all the loose and sharp stones. I'd sometimes be soaked in sweat by the bottom, from the intense concentration needed to avoid twisting an ankle. I was well prepared for the climbs, as they are frequently discussed and blogged about. I actually found the climbs to be easier than anticipated. But few people talk about some of the descents and how treacherous they are!

Yes, I was surprised by the challenges of some of the descents, with all the loose and sharp stones. I'd sometimes be soaked in sweat by the bottom, from the intense concentration needed to avoid twisting an ankle. I was well prepared for the climbs, as they are frequently discussed and blogged about. I actually found the climbs to be easier than anticipated. But few people talk about some of the descents and how treacherous they are!
So true! Thank you for joining the discussion.

Thank you.
Take the road to the right, or the bike route, when it splits. The main route in the middle is a washout, it's like going through a canyon shoot toward the end. Starts out as anice enough trail. The route to the right is steep,but at least it's a road.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I went left, more rugged, and darn near fell face forward. Honestly, I feel Saint James grabbed my pack and set me upright, no other reason for why I didn't face plant. This is one of the options where "right is right" is the rule to follow.
I only made it down because a man suddenly appeared behind me and held my arm to guide me.

Thank you.

I went left down the “steps”

E017D084-34BD-47A9-8EE4-6B3FD63770BF.jpeg

Thank you.
There are two routes down to portomarin. First two times I walked it, it was fairly decent descent. Third time, I got kinda lost in fog and came in by a different route. Because of the fog, I don't know where the second route deviates from first. Find my first trail and you will be grand. The second one is steep and rocky down the back of some buildings but is not as bad as the descent from perdón or down to Molinaseca. I was in my late 60s when I walked the second one and found it ok as long as you watch where you put your feet and use walking poles

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first video mentioned in Anniesantiago's post (#3) does not show the really steep and difficult route into Portomarín. The last part, probably only 50 metres, is the only difficult part, but it is really, really difficult. This section begins at about 25 minutes into isawtman's video.

Thank you.you can always walk on the road , some switchbacks but doable

Last edited:
I remember the part that's crazy is very short and was doable for a portion sliding down on my butt.
What gave me more angst was crossing that stupid bridge....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have always gone left. To me going left is part of going into Portomarin. At the place where you choose there were two other pilgrims debating which way to go and they shouted to me to warn me. I just gave them a thumbs up - smiled and said buen camino.

Thank you.
Hi! There are 2 routes. The original, the most rugged, is the historical route. The less rugged is the complimentary route. I took the historical route after it had rained and a pilgrim was kind enough to help me down the slippery slope because it was not only slippery but it was so muddy that it was difficult to get any traction.

Hi! There are 2 routes. The original, the most rugged, is the historical route. The less rugged is the complimentary route. I took the historical route after it had rained and a pilgrim was kind enough to help me down the slippery slope because it was not only slippery but it was so muddy that it was difficult to get any traction.
Needless to say that was the worst of the Camino Frances. Luckily, we made it down in one piece :)

We mistakenly took the difficult route today. So happy my husband was there to guide me as my short legs could not make the giant step downs. A very tricky but short section indeed. Luckily we emerged unscathed.

There’s an easy way to go. Took it last year. Start out on the left-hand trail. After a little ways you’ll see a small blacktop road branch off on the left. It’s quite pleasant and goes down to the road that goes along the river. Turn right and you’ll see the bridge shortly. This is all on your map app or google earth.
I believe this is the route suggested in the Brierly guidebook.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We mistakenly took the difficult route today. So happy my husband was there to guide me as my short legs could not make the giant step downs. A very tricky but short section indeed. Luckily we emerged unscathed.
And yet... here you are and you made it. IMHO, the "luck" has to do with taking it very easy and very slow. As mentioned before, all other descends are "just as tricky". No worries - use common sense...

Re: how many rooutes - folks say its 2, i remembered 3 and here is a link to photo someone took this past August. as you can see it is 3 ways: 3 Routes
The original (tough one) is in red and 2 variations - to the left and to the right

Thank you.
I took the tough way down. Why? because it was a challenge.
PS. I am 73 next month! 😎🇳🇿

Thank you.
We are in our 60’s, we took the steeper route and turned back. The ‘steps’ are beyond my knees, and the rocks were wet, the path muddy. It was doable - if it had been dry I’d have done it for sure. We took the longer route and saved our legs for the stone steps up into Portomarin. 👍😀

Thank you.
You have the option to go left or right. I went left. I slipped in the rain on the stone steps, fell and broke my hand. St. Jean Pied de Port to Portomarin. . . I could not finish.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have the option to go left or right. I went left. I slipped in the rain on the stone steps, fell and broke my hand. St. Jean Pied de Port to Portomarin. . . I could not finish.
I'm sorry to hear that your Camino was cut short. If you decide to return and complete it, just bring back your credencial and get it stamped again in Portomarin (assuming you got it stamped there before you left. So long as your credencial is stamped where you stopped and again in the same place when you re-start, the Pilgrim Office considers it all one Camino.

And yet... here you are and you made it. IMHO, the "luck" has to do with taking it very easy and very slow. As mentioned before, all other descends are "just as tricky". No worries - use common sense...

Re: how many rooutes - folks say its 2, i remembered 3 and here is a link to photo someone took this past August. as you can see it is 3 ways: 3 Routes
The original (tough one) is in red and 2 variations - to the left and to the right

I'm pretty sure we took the green one, which I guess very few people do. It was actually quite lovely.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Be careful about discussing your accounts on this unencrypted site. I only wanted to know what banks charged the least expensive fees for ATM right now along the Frances. Not to open any new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back