• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Crossing the Pyrenees from Oloron St. Marie, Bedous or Canfranc Estacion: Tips for Starting the Camino Aragones

It can be muddy and tiring. Hard to say what works for you exactly, but all types of pilgrims do it. If you take your time and spend all day walking slowly, it likely isn’t a problem.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The climp up to Somport from Bronce is my worry. I have walked the CF twice and both times stoped at Orisson.
If you can start out a few km further uphill at Urdos instead of Borce, you will have an easier day of it. It's a slow steady climb if it's dry, but can be treacherous in a few places if it's been raining, so take your time. If you make it up to Somport by around 3pm and are tired/cold/wet, you could always catch the bus down into Canfranc and then take the early bus back up to the pass in the morning to continue where you left off. So there are a few options..

It can be muddy and tiring. Hard to say what works for you exactly, but all types of pilgrims do it. If you take your time and spend all day walking slowly, it likely isn’t a problem.
Thank you, I plan to start i Oloron Sainte-Marie, and would very much like to walk up the Pyrenees.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for the advice, I will plan for a start i Urdos. It seems to be a Gite there.

Yes, I haven't stayed but other's have recommended it. There is a small shop in the village for supplies to cook too.

The municipal gite in Oloron is very good too, with a decent kitchen. If you're too tired to cook, there's a lovely little inexpensive restaurant right across the street.

Why not start in Oloron? That first day is beautiful and easier than the next one. We did Oloron to Canfranc over three days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I went from SJDP to Roncevalles as well. Your comments solidify my decision to tackle the Aragones. I'm 79.