• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dangerous parts from Lisbon to Porto ?

Barbara06

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Hello,

I will be walking on the camino leaving from Lisbon around 21st of august (passing by Santarem, Coimbra,...).

I heard there are some quite dangerous places due to busy roads and with not much room for pilgrims to pass.
If possible I would like to avoid walking on these stages and take the bus instead.
Could any one, tell me which are the most dangerous / disagreable stages on this part of the camino (from Lisbon to Porto) ?

Is anyone else leaving Lisbon around this period ?

Thanks so much !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Albertinho and Stephen for your very useful answers :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Lisboa friends, Didn't Diogo post something about a new off-road route on that stretch? I have tried a few searches but can't find it -- I'm sure some of you are more adept than I, or maybe I was imagining it. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hello,

I will be walking on the camino leaving from Lisbon around 21st of august (passing by Santarem, Coimbra,...).

I heard there are some quite dangerous places due to busy roads and with not much room for pilgrims to pass.
If possible I would like to avoid walking on these stages and take the bus instead.
Could any one, tell me which are the most dangerous / disagreable stages on this part of the camino (from Lisbon to Porto) ?

Thanks so much !!

I was supposed to be leaving Lisbon at that same time but had to move my trip to September. We could have joined together! As a result of have to move my trip further back, I also needed to cut a few days off in order to get back home in October. I will be starting my Camino in Tomar instead-that is five days off the trail, I'm taking a train from Lisbon and will begin in Tomar. Maybe this is a consideration for you as well? I wish you a soulful and safe Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

Thanks so much !!
I will be leaving about that time and would like to have a walking companion
Norma Jablonski I will arrive in Lisbon on Aug 5 and staying till Aug 11 and at that time I was planning on getting on the camino.

I was supposed to be leaving Lisbon at that same time but had to move my trip to September. We could have joined together! As a result of have to move my trip further back, I also needed to cut a few days off in order to get back home in October. I will be starting my Camino in Tomar instead-that is five days off the trail, I'm taking a train from Lisbon and will begin in Tomar. Maybe this is a consideration for you as well? I wish you a soulful and safe Camino.

Hello treefrogtoes,
I should be in Tomar around 24th august so it will be difficult for us to meet.
Not a bad idea to start in Tomar, but maybe also Santarem.
Bom caminho to you !

I will be leaving about that time and would like to have a walking companion
Norma Jablonski I will arrive in Lisbon on Aug 5 and staying till Aug 11 and at that time I was planning on getting on the camino.

Hello Norma,
Thanks for your answer.
The problem is as you are leaving on August 11th from Lisbon and I will leave around the 21st so a little difficult to walk together, unless I jump many steps, which could be possible but I don't yet know in advance.
Hope for you that you meet walking companions on your way !
Bom Caminho !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For us, the worst parts were before Pereira.
Not sure about a bus.
We tied orange kerchiefs onto our poles to warn motorists.
It was quite hairy!
1009_1502 Road to Rates.jpg 1010_1511.jpg 1009_1504 Road to Rates.jpg

Woaw !! Is Pereira after Porto ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was also considering walking feom Lisbon, starting in Sept 25th, but having read a few blogs it does sound as if the first eight days out of Lisbon are really awful. Any ideas/suggestions on an alternative route? Maybe a different starting point inland to get to Porto?

Hi, Rayne,
I have walked from Lisbon to Porto, and I think "really awful" is an overstatement. The first 8 days include some very nice stretches of walking and some nice towns along the way. There is actually a wide range of opinion, as there is on most Camino topics. Some didn't like that part, and some forum members recommend taking a train to skip a short segment or two between Lisbon and Azambuja, but others have walked the whole way and enjoyed it. I personally think that the walk from the cathedral, through the Alfama, the old port, and then to the Parque de Nacoes is a great start of a great camino. I may have been lucky with traffic but I never encountered any of the hair-raising situations that others did.

Check out the videos of several forum members: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/why-start-in-lisbon.29651/

Wherever you start, com caminho! Laurie

Dear Laurie, thank you so much for your reply! I must say, after have read some more blogs yesterday it seems a matter of "some many people, so many opinions". I am not keen on walking aling highways, and will try and avoid those! Thanks again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was also considering walking feom Lisbon, starting in Sept 25th, but having read a few blogs it does sound as if the first eight days out of Lisbon are really awful. Any ideas/suggestions on an alternative route? Maybe a different starting point inland to get to Porto?
i took the train out from lisboa for about 30min and walked from there to Azambuja for about 11km - mostly along highways that were very busy and it was blasting hot.
but still, 'really awful' i would not consider it - that would be reserved for walking through perhaps the slums of Dacca or any IS territory.
walking out of Azambuja the next day was a treat ... as were many many roads and sections on the portuguese. yes, one needs to really take care well of ones feet due to the walking on cobblestones for many stretches, etc ... but nonetheless ... it was a very blessed experiene, a gift that keeps giving.
enjoy.
bom caminho!

I am taking a train from Lisbon to Tomar and starting there September 7, originally I was leaving from Lisbon but circumstances arose and I had to change it. You could also take a train and start from Santarem.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back