• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Foncebadón to Ponferrada

TonyScotland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago - Frances
Camino Ingles
I am trying to find out if there is a bus between Ponferrada to Foncebadón. I am travelling from Santiago in April 2024 to start at Foncebadan but looking at Rome2Rio all public transport seems to stop at Ponferrada. Does anybody know if this is true?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't think there is any bus service to Foncebadon. Or from Foncebadon to Ponferrada. If one existed I'm pretty sure we would all have heard of it as an alternative to the very difficult path down from El Acebo.

You could maybe take a taxi from Astorga or one from Ponferrada, but there doesn't appear to be bus stops on Google Maps in Fondebadon.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If this is what you want to do, hire a taxi at Ponferrada to take you backwards to Foncebadon. Consult Rome2Rio.com to see if there are bus options.

BTW, taxi fares are about 1 euro per km. This was how I found it in 2022.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Looking at Rme2 Rio ther does seem to be a bus from Ponferrada to Rabanal

I had to take a taxi to Ponferrada from Rabanal just down from Foncebadon, and including the tip I gave the driver, it came to €100 (thank you, travel insurance company!)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Can you name the company and route? All I can see is a combination of bus part way plus taxi for the last part of the journey.
I can also only see a combination of bus and taxi

If this is what you want to do, hire a taxi at Ponferrada to take you backwards to Foncebadon. Consult Rome2Rio.com to see if there are bus options.

BTW, taxi fares are about 1 euro per km. This was how I found it in 2022.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Hi Tom I did consult Rome2Rio and they have suggested the only option is a taxi from Ponferrada so I might just start at Ponferrada instead and spend an extra day exploring the city before starting the Camino Invierno. Cheers for info on cost of taxis. Thanks Tony

Yes. You need to take a taxi from Ponferrada.

I can also only see a combination of bus and taxi
Yes it is the same as you, part bus and part taxi. By the looks of it easier to start at Astorga

Attachments

• IMG_0280.png
    964.7 KB · Views: 4
Both Ponferrada and Astorga are fine places to start. I know you can get a train to Ponferrada. I beleive it is on the main line from Madrid too. Not sure about Astorga. Check Rome2Rio.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Both Ponferrada and Astorga are fine places to start. I know you can get a train to Ponferrada. I beleive it is on the main line from Madrid too. Not sure about Astorga. Check Rome2Rio.
Last time I got a train from Madrid to Astorga, it required a simple change (next platform) at Leon.
Very easy.

Most read last week in this forum