• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting from Madrid Barajas to Madrid Chamartin

alex440

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018) Sarria-SdC
(2019) Sarria-SdC
Hi.

My flight is scheduled to arrive at 13:30 to Madrid Barajas on Friday.

Is it reasonable to book a ticket from Madrid Chamartin train station which departs at 16:30?

We expect to have luggage.

Is 3 hours a reasonable time to clear luggage and get to the train station in Madrid on Friday afternoon?

I understand there is a subway line. How much time should it take to get to the station via the subway (for the first timer at Spain)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The train from the airport to Chamartin takes half an hour, and they are frequent. The rest of the time needed is hard to determine. Personally, I wouldn't book your onward train ticket in advance - just buy it at Chamartin.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Is 3 hours a reasonable time to clear luggage and get to the train station in Madrid on Friday afternoon?
Yes. The station is at the T-4 terminal. If you need to take the free shuttle bus, allow about 20 minutes. There is a ticket sales office in the T-4 terminal, so you can buy your tickets in advance. However, most tickets are not refundable, so if you are late, you will lose your prepayment. The entrance to the Cercanias shuttle train is at the Renfe ticket office, and the ticket for the shuttle is included in your train fare. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes, so the worst case is that you have just missed the train. The actual ride is under 20 minutes, so it all adds up to about 70 minutes; you will have enough time!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum