• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Guide Books

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I have been collecting various guide books and now must make some decisions for my upcoming extended Camino. My list of guide books, by route, is shown below. If you have any suggestions for a better guide book (English or French only unfortunately) I would like to hear from you.

Via Jacobi

Via Jacobi by Sabine Bolliger 2nd edition published in 2010 in French

Via Gebennensis

Chemin de Saint-Jacques de Geneve au Puy-en-Velay 2012 edition little yellow book
Sentier vers Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle by FFRandonnee for GR65

Both of these seem to be quite good and given their small sizes am considering taking both of them. Yellow guide seems good from an accommodation perspective; FFRandonnee has excellent maps.

The Puy Route

2013 Miam Miam Dodo
Alison Raju Cicerone Guide book 2010 edition

Leaning towards taking the Miam Miam Dodo guide as it is more recent, has good maps, lists accommodations and does not go into detailed route intructions like the Alison Raju guide

St. James route - Many choices here

2013 Miam Miam Dodo - this includes Finisterre
Walking the Camino de Santiago Pili Pala Press 3rd Edition - 2009 including the 2nd edition Map book. This also includes the route to Finisterre
John Brierley Guide book (not including Finisterre) 2009 edition
Alison Raju Cicerone Guide book 2008 edition

I am really not sure what is best here...slight lean to the Pili Pala Press book & map. If I go with Brierley I think I would need his other guide book to Finisterre and perhaps update from the 2009 edition.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions...unfortunately this all adds weight however can't think of a better way to approach this.

Thanks

Guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take the one that covers the first camino you are starting.
Then simply buy the next one when you complete each one.
Discard the old one or send it home if it has a value to you.

Haven't checked on it myself but surely all the information you seek must available in a digital format. Carry one smartphone and done. Cuts down the weight even with a charger.
Can be a used and without a sim card if you don't want it for phone contact along your Camino. It only has to carry your route, reading material and any music. If you can connect wirelessly at an albergue then you have email, blog and this forum at your fingertips.

Tony

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Non-current editions, such as 2008, will be much less useful than the latest editions. The terrain does not change, but the route and accommodations do! I think there are newer editions of Raju and Brierley for the Camino Frances.

Hi Guy, For the Le Puy route the Miami Miami Dodo is a must take. We took both the MMD and Alison Raju's but used almost exclusively the MMD. Raju's historical content is great but the route info is too detailed and the 2010 edition was not really updated. GR65 route is easy to follow and the MMD maps are just fine. As the MMD is updated annually all info is very accurate and reservations are easy and suggested. Enjoy. Bonne Marché. Dayton

Tony

Agree eBook format would be great however I haven't had any success finding any of these in that format. Will carry them and discard as I no longer need them.

Thanks

Guy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!