• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Book "A Travel Guide to the Middle Ages" - the medieval pilgrim experience

HumanistHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues September-October 2023
My mum sent me the review from the Times of 28.10.2023 of a new book "A Travel Guide to the Middle Ages - The World Through Medieval Eyes" by Anthony Bale, which sounds like it might be of interest to folks on the forum.. The focus is on pilgrimage to the Holy Land but I imagine aspects of the 14th century pilgrim experience would be similar for those headed to Santiago.

Never mind all the "help me decide what not to take to get my backpack weight down" guidebooks insisted that a sword was essential to guard against spies, brigands, pirates, theives, molesters and conmen. Henry Bolingbroke, Earl of Derby, took on his pilgrimage to the Holy Land 6 horses, several sets of armour, a feather bed, an assortment of flags, cutlery, pots and an immense amount of food and wine. (He'd have been OK at the Xunta albergues if he brought his own pots and cutlery!)
If even at the best inns, bed linen was only changed once a fortnight, medieval travellers would have been well advised to pack their sheet sleeping bags. Count yourselves lucky that modern albergues have bunk beds - guests then were expected to share their beds with fellow travellers (and, of course, bedbugs).

Tips from John of Gaddesden in "The Rose of Medicine" (c 1314) don't seem that weird having seen the various tips on the Camino forum about blister prevention "The feet should be washed with hot salt water, dried and then rubbed with goat's or ram's fat. One should do the same to one's perineum, on account of all the chafing" and "Before the traveller sets off in the morning he should rub himself with tarragon and marciaton ointment (made of olive oil, beeswax and bay".

The medieval pilgrimage may have been an even more boozy affair than some modern ones. Beer and wine were preferable to drinking the water "which brings about fevers and abscesses and blockages". John of Gaddesden also advised "Absinthe should be sipped, which shall make fatigue and weariness disappear almost completely" (Maybe there's another Camino business opportunity, wayside absinthe stands, before the big hills, so that one is carried up by the green fairy!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Nowadays we worry about blisters on our feet because we walk. Back then they spent all day sitting on a horse.
"Before the traveller sets off in the morning he should rub himself with tarragon and marciaton ointment (made of olive oil, beeswax and bay".
One can only imagine where they put it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is available as a pre-order on Amazon.

Search: A Travel Guide to the Middle Ages - The World Through Medieval Eyes Anthony Bale

It is USD 29.95, in hardcover. But does not ship under next April.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is available as a pre-order on Amazon.

Search: A Travel Guide to the Middle Ages - The World Through Medieval Eyes Anthony Bale

It is USD 29.95, in hardcover. But does not ship under next April.
But apparently it can be ordered from England for a better price and available now!
It’s available now. Use Blackwells (https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9780241530849?a_aid=prh) $21.45 and free shipping to US.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Part way through listening. Interesting but I wish I had time to listen when I wasn't;t also working so that I could look up places mentioned. Still, a recommended audible.

My copy of A Travel Guide to the Middle Ages arrived today. I have had the opportunity to read a small portion of it and glance through the rest. Quite fascinating. While the book is (obviously) not specifically about the Camino or Santiago, there are parts that a Camino Pilgrim might find identifiable.
From the Book:

"Good manners in a tavern." "The basic rules of dining are as follows: don't scratch your head or back as if you've got fleas. Don't be sullen, blink too much or have watery eyes. Don't sniff or pick your nose, or let it run, or blow it too loudly. Don't twist your neck like a jackdaw. Don't put your hands down your stockings or fiddle with your codpiece or scratch, or shrug, or rub your hands. Don't pick your ears, retch, laugh too loudly or spit too far. Speak quietly, don't tell lies or talk drivel, don't spray spittle, gape or pout. Don't lick the dish. Don't cough, hiccup or belch, stamp your feet or straddle your legs. Don't pick or gnash your teeth, and don't puff bad breath over your betters. Always beware of 'blasting your rear guns' (that is farting)."

Is the author referring to the Middle Ages or the 21st Century?---just asking.

More enlightenment from A Travel Guide to the Middle Ages:

"An indulgence, or pardon, was one of the main reasons Christians traveled in medieval Europe. An indulgence granted, after death, that one's time in Purgatory, due to sins committed during one's life, would be remitted (shortened) or revoked. Indulgences were usually associated with travel to a saint's shrine or a holy place, and pilgrims would pay the church or its brokers for certificates of indulgence."
"Here is a small selection of the indulgences available in Rome for visitors in 1450, taken from a Rome travel guide."

"St. Paul's Outside-the-Walls (San Pailo fuori Mura):"

"Twenty-eight years, with remission from a third of one's sins for entering the church via the west door (near the relic of St. Paul's head)
One thousand years on St. Paul's feast day
One hundred years on the feast day of St. Pauls conversion
Forty years on the feast day of the Holy Innocents
Seven thousand years with remission from a third of one's sins on the feast day of the dedication of the church
Every Sunday, one receives the same pardon as if one went to Santiago de Compostela"

A simple question: Is there an Indulgence for the Pilgrim (in an Albergue) who sounds like a freight train all night long?--just asking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just finished listening on Audible. Great book with many quotes from older manuscripts with interesting and often drĂ´le information about life on the road in the middle ages. Explanations and imagination create wonderful scenarios.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes - Maybe out of stock, but at least I have a delivery date. It will give me something interesting to read before my September Camino Primitivo......

Order Confirmation
Arriving:
Thursday, July 25

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back