• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Health Pass ( QR Code) update for Americans from Le Puy

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Typing quickly, limited wifi. I am standing outside of the hospital in Le Puy. I went to a pharmacy this morning to ask about the “ Health pass QR”, and the lady didn’t know much but sent me to a stadium where she said the could tell me. A ten minute walk produced just a stadium, that was closed and I assume might have been a mass vaccination or testing site at one time. I then google mapped the hospital that unlike ones I have worked in didn’t have an obvious entrance… but I lucked out to walk through a non dramatic entry and attached myself to the first person I saw, a lovely gal who called I think “ the head of vaccinations”. He was all smiles and helpful, And took us to his office where he called the Health Ministries department in Paris. A long hold time but this was what was concluded TODAY ( things change quickly in Covid world, I know first hand from working in an USA Emergency room). But as of now it’s been determined , post call, this pass is “ only” for Europeans and no way as of now to update my info in a system. He said keep my documentation on me. He also said he does not think restaurants will be asking for this for atleast two weeks. He said there is a chance at thst time we might not get in to historical sites or restaurants. He and I both agreed this is the beginning/ cusp of a new procedure with LOTS OF UNKNOWNS. So the answers are not there for everything, and as obstacles present themselves they will have to iron them out. My attitude on this is great!!!! I might need to picnic myself through France in two weeks but deep down I do not think ( just an opinion) this will be the case, because of what I am witnessing here. Spirits are high, I do not feel like I am walking around any differently than the many other times I have travelled in Europe. We did get one frantic look when I walked into the grocery store unmasked, but put one on instantly!!!! I did ask him about the situation of a fellow forum member from Canada who shared they have a mixture of vaccine of Pfizer one dose and I think Moderna one dose. While I had not heard of this he,I am almost certain, said this is common in France as well. His English was as good as my French bad, but I am pretty certain this is what he said. So I am hoping that won’t be an obstacle for those.
I will keep “ Health Pass” updates from what I experience in this one thread. My wifi is limited so I’m not reading and enjoying the forums as usual… just kind of posting to share at this point. I apologize in advance if a thread more specific is already out there. Just sharing what I can. Again my info is from Le Puy at this moment, possibly the best source I will be able to get for weeks. Calls were made and I do think my source was probably the best in the field from this location atleast.
I am appreciate for the time they took with me, calls they made… I saw him first hand trying to get me answers!!!!
Sent requests 8/11 and again 8/13. Just received an email From: COVID-PASS Area1 <area1.covid-pass@diplomatie.gouv.fr> acknowledge receipt of your email. We will reply as soon as possible. Please do not send your email again.

Thank you for your understanding.

I applied on Tuesday and am still waiting for the code. I arrive in Paris early Monday morning. I am a little nervous, as I am scheduled to fly to Biarritz later in the day and unsure if I will need it when I transfer flights in Paris. From reviewing the air france website it looks like I should be ok. I am also looking into getting covid tested at the airport yet it does not appear the test can be pre booked ahead of time as of now. If anything changes I will let everyone know. pen to any suggestions or solutions.
Update I still have not received my QR code I was able to fly from Paris to Biarritz with my us paper card yesterday and had no issue checking into my hotel and having dinner. Hopefully my trip to and stay in sjdpd will be the same today before I start my pilgrimage on Wednesday.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Received my husbands within 18 hours...mine took 3 days. Applied August 10 (tuesday am) and received my code August 13 in the wee hours of the morning. You will no doubt have an approval by Monday.
What was your departure date? I applied on the 9th and have yet to reveive to code. I'm flying on the 31st so maybe it's because of that but 8 days seems a little long I think ;(

The current link as of August 15 says they are processing for August 18. So it appears to be a rolling 3 day window.
I know it says not to submit again but I think they just lost mine even though I got an aknoledgment a few days later. Might resubmit again...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Update I still have not received my QR code I was able to fly from Paris to Biarritz with my us paper card yesterday and had no issue checking into my hotel and having dinner. Hopefully my trip to and stay in sjdpd will be the same today before I start my pilgrimage on Wednesday.
Hey Bradj,
So no problems transferring to your flight to Biarritz in Paris just using your CDC card? That’s my big worry…I’m doing the same thing in a couple of weeks…have sent my stuff in, no response in over a week. Scared of being stuck in Paris.

Hey Bradj,
So no problems transferring to your flight to Biarritz in Paris just using your CDC card? That’s my big worry…I’m doing the same thing in a couple of weeks…have sent my stuff in, no response in over a week. Scared of being stuck in Paris.
For the ones who are freaking out about delays like me, I just read on the french website that all QR demands for travellers not already in the country by augudt 15th or arriving by the 18th would be processed 'at a later time'. Now that's still vague but at least it explains why some of us are still waiting while others got quick responses...

I am now leaving st Jean . Restaurants asking for the pass most everytime. It was a bit difficult to find a bed but finally found this gite. It had many empty beds. The owner was very warm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am now leaving st Jean . Restaurants asking for the pass most everytime. It was a bit difficult to find a bed but finally found this gite. It had many empty beds. The owner was very warm.
Gite Zuharpeta @ 5 rue zuharpeta

What was your departure date? I applied on the 9th and have yet to reveive to code. I'm flying on the 31st so maybe it's because of that but 8 days seems a little long I think ;(
There was a holiday over the past weekend and a system crash in the app on Saturday due to high demand (quickly fixed) so this could account for the delay along with obvious volume and verification issues . I would think you should be ok with your vaccine card and your confirmation email (showing proof you applied ) from the French government until you get your QR code. I would not resubmit unless you did not receive confirmation of receipt as this may further slow down the process.

Last edited:
Hey Bradj,
I do not think you will get stuck as long as you can show proof from the French government (via email) confirmation that you submitted. Use your vaccination card and keep that confirmation email handy. If you do not receive a code I would also as a back up get a test done upon arrival..this will give you a QR code in France good for 3 days (72 hrs). my recommendation is absolutely follow the guidance of the French government website. https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I do not think you will get stuck as long as you can show proof from the French government (via email) confirmation that you submitted. Use your vaccination card and keep that confirmation email handy. If you do not receive a code I would also as a back up get a test done upon arrival..this will give you a QR code in France good for 3 days (72 hrs). my recommendation is absolutely follow the guidance of the French government website. https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19
That was my plan B. With the antigen test, no problem to take the TGV down south, but I was relying also on the QR as my main Covid green card to enter everything in Spain since it's valid througout Europe. I can't get the spanish QR since I'll by arriving walking from France and I'm sure I'll get weird looks using my canadian unscannable proof of vaccination. Keeping fingers crossed to get the french QR asap!!

That was my plan B. With the antigen test, no problem to take the TGV down south, but I was relying also on the QR as my main Covid green card to enter everything in Spain since it's valid througout Europe. I can't get the spanish QR since I'll by arriving walking from France and I'm sure I'll get weird looks using my canadian unscannable proof of vaccination. Keeping fingers crossed to get the french QR asap!!
Good luck and Buen Camino @Kathar1na can advise on the spain aspect but I think you should be good.me too with the American CDC before I got my QR code over the weekend

Good luck and Buen Camino @Kathar1na can advise on the spain aspect but I think you should be good.me too with the American CDC before I got my QR code over the weekend
LOL, I and others on the forum, of course. But ok, I do try to share good information as my way of "paying back" for other useful info I find on the forum.

From reports I see elsewhere it can currently take up to 7-8 days before American applicants get their French QR code for the pass sanitaire. It is really important to follow the instructions carefully: Attachments must not be more than 10 MB in total and not in zip format; fill in the subject line carefully and exactly as prescribed; check your spam folder.

Someone made an interesting point: As you have to fill in your email address in the application form, pay particular attention to this so that it is correct and especially when it contains numbers. Try to write 1s and 7s in the European/French way. I don't know whether it matters in the end but the person had a point, especially since nobody knows how they process the application forms.

Last edited:
Personally, if I were a non-EU visitor, I would not worry about needing or using the French QR code outside of France. Spain as a whole does not use such passes for access to restaurants and bars, and even Galicia who did so for a while has suspended it. The Spanish QR code that you have to apply for when you fly to Spain is of no use outside of one's airport of arrival.

Unlike in France, the Spanish government has refused to adopt a national policy for the use of the EU digital Covid certificates/QR codes for anything else than for travel between EU countries, and measures to use them for access to restaurants or tourist accommodations are left to the regional administrations to decide upon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For the ones who are freaking out about delays like me, I just read on the french website that all QR demands for travellers not already in the country by augudt 15th or arriving by the 18th would be processed 'at a later time'. Now that's still vague but at least it explains why some of us are still waiting while others got quick responses...
If you are thinking the government is prioritizing those of us already in the country, think again. I had been in France since August 5, applied on August 10 when application became available, and received the pass on August 20. I flew home to US on August 22. My husband has never received his!!! Now granted we had to return early because he fell on the Le Puy, tore his quad, and could not continue. But I don't feel that being in the country made any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back