• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Help for a newbie - silly questions.

Zubada

Hello, everyone. I've been interested in travelling the Camino de Santiago ever since I saw a TV program about it and I've been thinking of going there since then. However, I haven't been able to search information on it for several reasons.

So, after browsing this forum, I've thought I'd start my journey in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Basically I need a lot of info about the pilgrimage.

First of all, is there a rail connection to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port?

Second, how much money do I estimately need? I don't have much, and travelling to France will probably cost me a lot.

Where do you actually sleep? I've heard of refugios and albergues but I don't have an idea what they are. Basically I can't afford any money on sleeping. Is it safe to sleep outside?

What about is there a lot of traffic, cars I mean?

How much time will the pilgrimage take from an average person? Months?

Oh, and I'm going to end the pilgrimage in Santiago de Compostela.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Zubada and welcome to this forum,

There are no silly questions. I bet many will be reading this and thanking you for asking exactly what they were wondering as well.

First of all, is there a rail connection to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port?

Have a look at this post. It gives you some ideas how to get there. Note that "Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port" = SJPP.
viewtopic.php?p=2522

Second, how much money do I estimately need?
Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=472

Where do you actually sleep? I've heard of refugios and albergues but I don't have an idea what they are.
With your Pilgrims Passport (also called credential) you can stay in albergues refugios. Cost 5-8 euros/night (see link above). Alternatively you could bring a tent, but most people I know have advised against it. More on tents here:
viewtopic.php?t=557

As for how many days from SJPP? About 30 (+/-)

I think you will learn a lot by studying "The Confraternity of Saint James" website: http://www.csj.org.uk/

Also, check you library for books. For some ideas, have a look here:
http://www.santiago-today.com/amazon/

God tur og velkommen til Santiago,
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum