• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

how far is Somport from Jaca?

emv0816

I am considering hiking the Camino Aragones and hooking into the Frances starting April 30. I'd like to start in Somport but I can't find Somport on a Google map. I read that someone took a local bus from Jaca so I assume it's not far from Jaca. Is Somport north of Jaca? if so how far?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Look for Candanchu instead in the Somport pass.

Merci, Falcon. Candanchu Sure looks pretty with all that snow. have you heard anything about the snow situation @ Col de Lepoeder? I will be either at Candanchu or St Jean Pied de Port on April 30/May 1. The Aragones sure looks more interesting. If you could only do one of the 2 routes which would it be?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Falcon, did you start the Aragones in Somport? if so, when? what month/day? just trying to get an 'idea' what the weather (snow? rain? temps?) will be like. bear in mind please that I will be there on April 30/May1

I walked from Lourdes last year beginning in May. By May 20 I was at Canfranc and it was icy cold and blowing snow and sleet. The ground was clear but the wind was freezing. I was afraid of getting sick, so I took the 9:37 train to Jaca for 2,55 euro. My walking partner walked. He said the walk was cold, but pretty.

I guess my point is, you can always take the train if the weather is too bad to walk.
Once I was in Jaca, I was a happy girl. I had stayed at the pilgrim albergue before, having walked the Aragones more than once (it's my favorite!) but his time, the lady at the TI led us to Casa Mamre
on Billado & Arco streets near the Cathedral Plaza. We slept in the dorms at 14 euros each including breakfast. It was a wonderful place!

Here is a link to my blog if you'd like to see photos of the place:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/05/to-jaca-we-go.html

The priest told of a bus that went round trip to San Juan de Pena Monastery.
A few years earlier, I had attempted to take the trail up there and eventually turned back because I ran out of daylight and energy. That trail is nearly impassable and I do not suggest you try it. Instead, take the bus up there, enjoy your visit, and then either bring the bus BACK to Jaca and start walking next day. Or alternatively, you can do what we did, and you can walk down to Sta. Celia from the Monastery.

If the weather is good, the trail down is rough, but not too bad. If the weather is bad, you can always simply walk the road down. There is not much traffic and the views are spectacular in the spring!

I love the Aragones route and will probably walk it again and again. I've done it in the spring and in the fall, and the spring is my favorite time, despite the snow on the peak.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks so much Annie. So, probably not a pleasant stroll down from the Somport Pass in early May. I'll plan on going to Jaca on May1 and get the latest there. if it's too 'unpleasant' due to weather to start up top, I'll just start the Aragones from Jaca.

I walked through the Somport Pass having started in Toulouse. Down from Estacion Canfranc toward Jaca the weather was very cold, wet. and windy. A policeman stopped his car, took our picture, and drove away to show his friends the kind of fool that was out in that weather...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was in late October, and some nights were getting cold.

My email that day:

My friend and I will be a few days behind you Emv. We plan to reach Somport on Sat 4th May in time to walk back to Canfranc Estacion and stay the night there,perhaps at Pepito Grillo. Will then walk down to Jaca on the 5th. That is the plan anyway...
I love reading the positive comments on the Aragones and can't wait to get going! Hope the weather is kind to us all.
Heather

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum