• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Barcelona to Somport

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal Route (2019)
Francais (2022)
I am planning on hiking the Camino Aragones in early July 2024. I have booked a flight to Barcelona but am unsure of how to get to Somport. I have heard you can take a train to Jaca and then a bus but I can not tell if it stops in Somport and the schedules are not posted. Has anyone taken the bus to Somport or do you have to go to Candanchu and walk to Somport?

Also, would people recommend reservations in July?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are two main routes from Barcelona to Jaca:
- bus or train to Zaragoza and then bus or train to Jaca
- bus to Huesca and then bus or train to Jaca

Once in Jaca, there is a local bus several times a day which heads up the valley to Somport where you can start walking. If the tracks are repaired by the time you walk, you could also take a train up to Canfranc Estacion and start from there, but then you’d miss the beautiful scenery higher up.

Use Rome2Rio to see all of your options.

I am planning on hiking the Camino Aragones in early July 2024. I have booked a flight to Barcelona but am unsure of how to get to Somport. I have heard you can take a train to Jaca and then a bus but I can not tell if it stops in Somport and the schedules are not posted. Has anyone taken the bus to Somport or do you have to go to Candanchu and walk to Somport?

The timetable for the local bus from Jaca to Somport is here: https://www.mavaragon.es/servicio-autobus/horarios-autobus-jaca-astun/
There is also information on the window at the Jaca bus station.
I took the 12pm bus from Jaca to Canfranc Estacion in early November, and returned at 13.10. It was snowing, so I didn't stay long. The bus ran on time, pay the driver. Around 3 euros.
There are good connections from Huesca to Jaca. The train was not running in November, there was work being done on the track. There was a replacement bus from Huesca. There is also a bus Avanza https://aragon.avanzagrupo.com/es/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Train to Zaragoza, then the scenic Renfe Canfranero train to Canfranc Estación, or the Avanza bus from Zaragoza bus station to Jaca, and then a local yellow bus from the bus station up to Canfranc Estación. From Canfranc Estación there are fairly frequent (French) buses up to Somport, leaving from the main road outside the rail station. The bus and train station in Zaragoza are in the same complex, it's Zaragoza Las Delicias. Buy tickets for the Avanza bus from their office downstairs in the bus station, although they can be purchased in advance on their website, the late afternoon and early evening buses from Zaragoza to Jaca do get full quickly in summer with tourists returning up the valley. Try to stay at Albergue Elías Valiña Canfranc *Pueblo*, 4km easy down from Estación on the Camino or by road. The albergue is by donation and luxurious, no reservations taken, has a kitchen for pilgrim use and provides breakfast. It is run by volunteers from FICS, International Fraternity of the Camino de Santiago. If you wish, or are running late, get off the bus at Canfranc *Pueblo* (make sure you tell driver to stop at Pueblo) and stay the night at the albergue. The volunteers will normally let you stay a second night, so you can bus up to Estación and Somport, then walk back down. There should be no need to book ahead between Canfranc and Puente la Reina, it is not a crowded route.

If you have extra time you could start walking the Camino Catalan from Huesca to connect to the Aragonese at Santa Cilia. This gives you a chance to visit Loarre Castle, an outlook to view vultures and the new and old monasteries of San Juan de la Peña (at least take a day from whatever Camino you choose to take a trip to the old one).

I believe the trains to Jaca pass through Estación de la Peña and you might be able to get off there if you ask the conductor to stop. That would cut some days off the Catalan. If they won't stop no big deal you would still end up in Jaca and could still sidetrip to the monasteries.

There has been a lot of track work being done on the railway between Huesca/Jaca and Jaca/Canfranc Estacion. It certainly was needed although the wobbly little train was certainly a fun way to travel previously! The train system was running replacement buses for those sections in 2023, so check in on those items as this year progresses.

Snow does sometimes close the route up to Somport but rarely the highway to Canfranc Estacion, so that is almost always reachable. Sadly, a key pedestrian bridge on the Camino route between Estacion and Pueblo has been severely damaged by high water flows and is currently unusable. Without this link, you’ll have to walk the highway shoulder for this section, which I’ve done and do not recommend. If that footbridge is still out, consider starting in Pueblo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There has been a lot of track work being done on the railway between Huesca/Jaca and Jaca/Canfranc Estacion. It certainly was needed although the wobbly little train was certainly a fun way to travel previously! The train system was running replacement buses for those sections in 2023, so check in on those items as this year progresses.

Snow does sometimes close the route up to Somport but rarely the highway to Canfranc Estacion, so that is almost always reachable. Sadly, a key pedestrian bridge on the Camino route between Estacion and Pueblo has been severely damaged by high water flows and is currently unusable. Without this link, you’ll have to walk the highway shoulder for this section, which I’ve done and do not recommend. If that footbridge is still out, consider starting in Pueblo.
I have to disagree, have walked the Pueblo to Estación road quite a few times, doing shopping for the albergue in Canfranc Pueblo - walk up, bus back loaded up. Wide enough walkway beside the road, and the 100m through the tunnel has an elevated walkway with protective barrier. The poster is planning to walk in summer, so hopefully the bridge on the Camino will be repaired by then.

Train to Zaragoza, then the scenic Renfe Canfranero train to Canfranc Estación, or the Avanza bus from Zaragoza bus station to Jaca, and then a local yellow bus from the bus station up to Canfranc Estación. From Canfranc Estación there are fairly frequent (French) buses up to Somport, leaving from the main road outside the rail station. The bus and train station in Zaragoza are in the same complex, it's Zaragoza Las Delicias. Buy tickets for the Avanza bus from their office downstairs in the bus station, although they can be purchased in advance on their website, the late afternoon and early evening buses from Zaragoza to Jaca do get full quickly in summer with tourists returning up the valley. Try to stay at Albergue Elías Valiña Canfranc *Pueblo*, 4km easy down from Estación on the Camino or by road. The albergue is by donation and luxurious, no reservations taken, has a kitchen for pilgrim use and provides breakfast. It is run by volunteers from FICS, International Fraternity of the Camino de Santiago. If you wish, or are running late, get off the bus at Canfranc *Pueblo* (make sure you tell driver to stop at Pueblo) and stay the night at the albergue. The volunteers will normally let you stay a second night, so you can bus up to Estación and Somport, then walk back down. There should be no need to book ahead between Canfranc and Puente la Reina, it is not a crowded route.
Thanks for the advice Paul. This is very helpful. I was wondering how to make it work to "start" at Somport and still have a place to stay as the hostels seem to be booked up. If the Albergue Elías Valiña Canfranc *Pueblo* is willing to take people for two nights that would be perfect. I would stay there, take the bus to Somport and walk back. Really appreciate it.

There are two main routes from Barcelona to Jaca:
- bus or train to Zaragoza and then bus or train to Jaca
- bus to Huesca and then bus or train to Jaca

Once in Jaca, there is a local bus several times a day which heads up the valley to Somport where you can start walking. If the tracks are repaired by the time you walk, you could also take a train up to Canfranc Estacion and start from there, but then you’d miss the beautiful scenery higher up.

Use Rome2Rio to see all of your options.
Thank you Vacajoe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you have extra time you could start walking the Camino Catalan from Huesca to connect to the Aragonese at Santa Cilia. This gives you a chance to visit Loarre Castle, an outlook to view vultures and the new and old monasteries of San Juan de la Peña (at least take a day from whatever Camino you choose to take a trip to the old one).

I believe the trains to Jaca pass through Estación de la Peña and you might be able to get off there if you ask the conductor to stop. That would cut some days off the Catalan. If they won't stop no big deal you would still end up in Jaca and could still sidetrip to the monasteries.
Thank you. I will check that out. I am not sure of my timing at this point so there is some flexibility.

I'm having a bit more of a problem because I want to travel from Barcelona to Oloron-Sainte-Marie. I'm planning two nights in Zaragoza on the way, but there doesn't seem to be any daily buses or trains that will get me from Canfranc Estación to Oloron-Sainte-Marie.

I'm having a bit more of a problem because I want to travel from Barcelona to Oloron-Sainte-Marie. I'm planning two nights in Zaragoza on the way, but there doesn't seem to be any daily buses or trains that will get me from Canfranc Estación to Oloron-Sainte-Marie.

There are, but they are seasonable and it’s two different systems since it’s two separate countries. Estacion serves both systems, so take the bus or train there and then transfer to the French-system bus to get to Oloron. If you are looking at this now, though, it may not be in operation during the winter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the advice Paul. This is very helpful. I was wondering how to make it work to "start" at Somport and still have a place to stay as the hostels seem to be booked up. If the Albergue Elías Valiña Canfranc *Pueblo* is willing to take people for two nights that would be perfect. I would stay there, take the bus to Somport and walk back. Really appreciate it.
Avanza afternoon buses Zaragoza to Jaca, cúrrent weekday buses. Earlier buses from 0630 onwards. Different weekends. When selecting origen on Avanza's website, you have to select Zaragoza Estacion (sic) not just Zaragoza for Jaca to show as a destination. Journeytime is 2hr 30min and arrives in Jaca's tiny bus station.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-05_074904.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-05_074904.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 11
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Avanza afternoon buses Zaragoza to Jaca, cúrrent weekday buses. Earlier buses from 0630 onwards. Different weekends. When selecting origen on Avanza's website, you have to select Zaragoza Estacion (sic) not just Zaragoza for Jaca to show as a destination. Journeytime is 2hr 30min and arrives in Jaca's tiny bus station.
Timetables for the Jaca > Canfranc P and E > Somport bus. Same services every day of the week, all year. Last bus leaves Jaca at 2135. Very reliable service, just a couple of €, heavily subsidised route.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-05_080745.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-05_080745.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 9
Timetables for the Jaca > Canfranc P and E > Somport bus. Same services every day of the week, all year. Last bus leaves Jaca at 2135. Very reliable service, just a couple of €, heavily subsidised route.
The timetable has been the same for several years, unlikely to change.

Finally, re 2 nights at the albergue: it is at the hospis discretion, but quite a few pilgrims coming up from Zaragoza and Jaca have been able to do this, I certainly fit people in up to the legal maximum for insurance purposes, which is more than the number of beds. There are sofas! Should you not be able to stay a 2nd night, just walk the easy 4km down from C Pueblo on the Camino to Villanua where there are private accommodations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's what I was thinking. Would mid May be more "in season?". Or would taxis be available?
May is a beautiful time there and definitely post-snow. The donativo in Pueblo opens April 1 and while snow is a definite possibility, it usually isn’t heavy enough to close the road for any extended time. Taxi coverage is minimal, though it exists.

There is a daily (French, white) bus all year from Canfranc Estación, starts on the main road at the entrance to the rail station, to Oloron-Sainte-Marie, at 2001 arriving 2117, with Nouvelle Aquitaine. You pay on the bus. There are 3 daily earlier buses from Canfranc Estación as far as Bedous, where you could overnight and then continue to Oloron, or taxi. A fairly popular route, but in my peak season stays in Canfranc in 2021 and 2022 I never saw it more than half full, if that.
See my replies to the original poster for the frequent public transport options between Zaragoza Delicias intermodal bus/train station to Jaca, Canfranc and Somport. Note that the Canfranero rail link between Zaragoza Delicias and Canfranc Estación is *still!* undergoing long term engineering works, not due to be completed until May this year, and a rail replacement Monbus operates between Huesca and Canfranc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-05_084609.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-05_084609.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 8
There is a daily (French, white) bus all year from Canfranc Estación, starts on the main road at the entrance to the rail station, to Oloron-Sainte-Marie, at 2001 arriving 2117, with Nouvelle Aquitaine. You pay on the bus. There are 3 daily earlier buses from Canfranc Estación as far as Bedous, where you could overnight and then continue to Oloron, or taxi.
Thank you so much. I finally was able to find that schedule here:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you have extra time you could start walking the Camino Catalan from Huesca to connect to the Aragonese at Santa Cilia.
I forgot to add the link to Gronze for this. Gronze has it as a three day walk from Huesca and a one day walk from La Peña Estación. Day 1 is a 2 star rating and then two days given 4 stars. The last stage brings you to San Juan de la Peña. Remember, I believe that you have to request the train to stop in La Peña Estación.

Four years ago in November I could not find lodging in La Peña Estación so I did the trip in four stages. Huesca, Bolea, Sarsamarcuello, Ena, Santa Cilia.

Does anyone know where in Jaca you get the bus to Canfranc Estacion? Does it leave from the train station or a different location in Jaca.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where in Jaca you get the bus to Canfranc Estacion? Does it leave from the train station or a different location in Jaca.
Town centre, very small bus station, a big shed really. The yellow bus to Canfranc, it leaves from the first bay on the right hand side as seen from the entrance opposite the squaré with bars and restaurants. Pay on the bus. No 'facilities' in bus station.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Town centre, very small bus station, a big shed really. The yellow bus to Canfranc, it leaves from the first bay on the right hand side as seen from the entrance opposite the squaré with bars and restaurants. Pay on the bus. No 'facilities' in bus station.
Thamks

Av. de la Jacetania, 11, 22700 Jaca, Huesca, Spain

Bus driver can make change for small bills. If you have time, definitely visit the church museum where they have preserved multiple wall paintings from abandoned churches in the area.

Av. de la Jacetania, 11, 22700 Jaca, Huesca, Spain

Bus driver can make change for small bills. If you have time, definitely visit the church museum where they have preserved multiple wall paintings from abandoned churches in the area.
Thank you very much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back