• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My route so far…Aragonés from Oloron 13th oct 23

Lianna

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning one Oct 23
Hiya - can’t remember who but someone asked for my movements so far so thought I would try and share best I could… let me know if there are other things that would be useful to know… it is still fresh ish in the mind!

Worth mentioning I am travelling alone and almost every night have been the only person sleeping in the auberge. I have stayed in a couple of hotel style hostels a couple of times when I have taken the longer routes and have been other people there, but mostly locals in the bar!

Trail finding: Used the following map for the route. Sometimes I took alternate paths than the ones suggested here, but all trails is great. Recommend downloading any maps you want so yiu have access to the map with GPS location at all times (in spite of bad reception) and you can put your phone on airplane mode and use GPS to save battery if needed:

GR®653: Voie d'Arles Via Tolosana segment 35: Oloron-Ste-Marie - Sarrance on AllTrails

https://www.alltrails.com/en-gb/tra...e-35-oloron-ste-marie-sarrance?p=-1&sh=fshyvr

Finding places to sleep: used a leaflet I got in Oloron for places to stay in France and Gronze when I got to Spain; https://www.gronze.com/etapa/somport/jaca

Wednesday 11th Oct

11pm night bus to Paris flixbus

Thursday 12th October

Journey: Train from Paris to oloron st Marie with replacement bus

Stayed: Relais du Bastet auberge (15€) https://g.co/kgs/nLKrba

Ate dinner: pilgrims supper at Koffee &Co (15€)

Extra info: emailed in advance to let them know I was coming and would arrive after 8pm (relaisdubastet@hotmail.com)

Friday 13th October

Journey: Oloron (9.30am) - Sarrence (4.30pm)

Stayed: monastery de Sarrance (can’t remember but think it was 20€) - just arrived and found the volunteer receiving the pilgrims, dinner and breakfast included. Was given a single room with plenty of blankets

Ate: lunch on the trail and dinner with the volunteers (is included with the room)

Extra info: there is a short walk down to the river and went there for a dip / to refresh myself before dinner. Ate dinner with the volunteers and attended late night mass.

Saturday 14th October

Journey: Sarrence (8pm) - Borce (4pm)

Stayed: look up (15€)

Ate: crepe at the Creperie up the road next to the church. They only serve savoury after 7.30pm normally but were kind and fed me as we’re planning to shut early that day and preferred to fed me at 5pm rather than wait for me to come back at 7.30pm!

Extra info: albergue was open and let myself in and had a shower before anyone came to take payment. Emailed the address on the door when I arrived (mairie@borce.fr). Had a couple of dips in the mountain rivers enroute and used the post office in Bedous.

Sunday 15th October

Journey: Borce - Canfranc Estación

Stayed: Rio Aragon Hostal (20€ - just arrived late,9.30pm and was fine)

Ate: left overs in the eveñing but the hostal gave good discount for pilgrims if needed

Extra info: Stopped for lunch in Urdos and had menu of the day.

Monday 16th October

Journey: Canfranc Estacion - villanua

Stayed: Hostal Alto Aragon (45€)

Ate: left overs

Extra info: was a short day as hammering with rain early and didn’t leave till 12pm. Was shattered from day before. Called the number on the door of the hostel and they took payment over the phone and gave me directions opening the key safes. Expensive room stunk of cigs (Aragon), but had a bath.

Tuesday 17th October

Journey: Villanua - Jaca

Stayed: Albergue de peregrinos de Jaca (they have someone working there from 3pm - 10pm - I just turned up)

Ate: dinner at Restaurante Universal

Extra info: Another late ish start after the rain, short walk to Jaca. Next morning I waited for the rain to stop and popped out for coffee, breakfast and to buy a proper waterproof. When I came back (10.45am) the door to the hostal was locked! Went to the town hall, they called the police who came and let me in within 15mins!

Wed 18th October

Journey: Jaca - Santa Cruz de Serós (via San Juan de la Peña monasterio)

Stayed: Hostería Santa Cruz de la Serós (50€ incl. breakfast)

Ate: lunch on the trail and dinner at the hotel

Extra info: Amazing view of the church from room with a small balcony. slept with doors open. Great bar in hotel (cross between Canadian lodge and uni hall bar - has a table football and great selection of booze).

Thursday 19th October

Journey: Santa Cruz de los Seros - Arres

Stayed: Hostería Santa Cruz de la Serós (just arrived at around 4.30pm and plenty of room, was just me again), operates on donation basis but you get dinner, bed and breakfast!

Ate: the hostaliero cooked that night but we popped to the bar for coffee and drinks before and after dinner

Extra info: is a super special place… the bar has the key to the church and defo worth a look if you have time / inclination

Friday 20th October

Journey: Arres - Ruesta

Stayed: Albergue de Ruesta (12€) just turned up around 5pm. They have a bar out back so go looking for someone beyond the terrace out back if you are stuck

Ate: dinner completa (14€ I think - also had drinks and breakfast next morning on top of this)

Extra info: is a crazy place, very remote village that has been abandoned, and a couple of the buildings in the care of a great group of what seem left leaning folk.

Saturday 21st October

Journey: Ruesta - Sanguesa

Stayed: Albergue de peregrinos de Sangüesa (5€ but also have a washing machine and dryer which is further €5 including washing powder)

Ate: lunch - bought a massive 5€ tortilla sandwich from the albergue in Undués de Lerda

Dinner - popped to the supermarket in Sanguesa to buy bits and bobs and cooked in the hostal

TBC

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perfect reporting! Always good to hear the latest as to what alburgeues are open and what the going rate is currently. I’m sorry that you skipped the beautiful new donativo in Canfranc Pueblo, but the distance doesn’t work if you stay in Estacion.

Thank you @Lianna I have very much enjoyed reading your posts on this fabulous path. Love the Aragones. Have walked it twice (once starting from Arles and once starting from Canfranc) - but both some years ago.

This year, we were in Pamplona in May after the Baztan, and needed to make our way back to France We couldn't resist taking a bus to Jaca, visiting the San Juan monasteries, then walking back over the Col to Oloron Saint Marie. This route gave us the opportunity to stay at Canfranc pueblo donativo, which didn't exist on our earlier walks. And to visit Canfranc Estacion hotel, which was in various stages of dereliction and reconstruction on previous visits.

Best wishes for the continuation of your camino.🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hiya - can’t remember who but someone asked for my movements so far so thought I would try and share best I could… let me know if there are other things that would be useful to know… it is still fresh ish in the mind!

Worth mentioning I am travelling alone and almost every night have been the only person sleeping in the auberge. I have stayed in a couple of hotel style hostels a couple of times when I have taken the longer routes and have been other people there, but mostly locals in the bar!

Trail finding: Used the following map for the route. Sometimes I took alternate paths than the ones suggested here, but all trails is great. Recommend downloading any maps you want so yiu have access to the map with GPS location at all times (in spite of bad reception) and you can put your phone on airplane mode and use GPS to save battery if needed:

GR®653: Voie d'Arles Via Tolosana segment 35: Oloron-Ste-Marie - Sarrance on AllTrails

https://www.alltrails.com/en-gb/tra...e-35-oloron-ste-marie-sarrance?p=-1&sh=fshyvr

Finding places to sleep: used a leaflet I got in Oloron for places to stay in France and Gronze when I got to Spain; https://www.gronze.com/etapa/somport/jaca

Wednesday 11th Oct

Thursday 12th October

Extra info: emailed in advance to let them know I was coming and would arrive after 8pm (relaisdubastet@hotmail.com)

Friday 13th October

Stayed: monastery de Sarrance (can’t remember but think it was 20€) - just arrived and found the volunteer receiving the pilgrims, dinner and breakfast included. Was given a single room with plenty of blankets

Ate: lunch on the trail and dinner with the volunteers (is included with the room)

Extra info: there is a short walk down to the river and went there for a dip / to refresh myself before dinner. Ate dinner with the volunteers and attended late night mass.

Saturday 14th October

Ate: crepe at the Creperie up the road next to the church. They only serve savoury after 7.30pm normally but were kind and fed me as we’re planning to shut early that day and preferred to fed me at 5pm rather than wait for me to come back at 7.30pm!

Extra info: albergue was open and let myself in and had a shower before anyone came to take payment. Emailed the address on the door when I arrived (mairie@borce.fr). Had a couple of dips in the mountain rivers enroute and used the post office in Bedous.

Sunday 15th October

Ate: left overs in the eveñing but the hostal gave good discount for pilgrims if needed

Monday 16th October

Extra info: was a short day as hammering with rain early and didn’t leave till 12pm. Was shattered from day before. Called the number on the door of the hostel and they took payment over the phone and gave me directions opening the key safes. Expensive room stunk of cigs (Aragon), but had a bath.

Tuesday 17th October

Stayed: Albergue de peregrinos de Jaca (they have someone working there from 3pm - 10pm - I just turned up)

Extra info: Another late ish start after the rain, short walk to Jaca. Next morning I waited for the rain to stop and popped out for coffee, breakfast and to buy a proper waterproof. When I came back (10.45am) the door to the hostal was locked! Went to the town hall, they called the police who came and let me in within 15mins!

Wed 18th October

Extra info: Amazing view of the church from room with a small balcony. slept with doors open. Great bar in hotel (cross between Canadian lodge and uni hall bar - has a table football and great selection of booze).

Thursday 19th October

Stayed: Hostería Santa Cruz de la Serós (just arrived at around 4.30pm and plenty of room, was just me again), operates on donation basis but you get dinner, bed and breakfast!

Ate: the hostaliero cooked that night but we popped to the bar for coffee and drinks before and after dinner

Extra info: is a super special place… the bar has the key to the church and defo worth a look if you have time / inclination

Friday 20th October

Stayed: Albergue de Ruesta (12€) just turned up around 5pm. They have a bar out back so go looking for someone beyond the terrace out back if you are stuck

Ate: dinner completa (14€ I think - also had drinks and breakfast next morning on top of this)

Extra info: is a crazy place, very remote village that has been abandoned, and a couple of the buildings in the care of a great group of what seem left leaning folk.

Saturday 21st October

Stayed: Albergue de peregrinos de Sangüesa (5€ but also have a washing machine and dryer which is further €5 including washing powder)

Ate: lunch - bought a massive 5€ tortilla sandwich from the albergue in Undués de Lerda

Dinner - popped to the supermarket in Sanguesa to buy bits and bobs and cooked in the hostal

TBC
Oh you are bringing back some wonderful memories!! Especially lunch in Undues de Lead!!

Wednesday 11th Oct

Thursday 12th October

Friday 13th October

Saturday 14th October

Sunday 15th October

Monday 16th October

Tuesday 17th October

Wed 18th October

Thursday 19th October

Friday 20th October

Saturday 21st October

TBC
Like others, brings back memories. We started in Sept in Lourdes. We were the only pellerin until we reached Oloron. From then on, we had a delightful non-group, for want of a better term, of 9 of us who walked separately but ended up each night at the same place for a communal meal. We bonded and were sad to say farewell at Puente. We kept going to Logrono, then turned south and walked to Montserrat. Camino combos, as we call them, are what we have done with the exception of our first camino, the Frances. If you have time, the walk I outlined is a treasure to be cherished forever.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Wednesday 11th Oct

Thursday 12th October

Friday 13th October

Saturday 14th October

Sunday 15th October

Monday 16th October

Tuesday 17th October

Wed 18th October

Thursday 19th October

Friday 20th October

Saturday 21st October

TBC
A great memory , did it self some years back , thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back