• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How many days for Ponferrada to Santiago?

rebecca ward

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hi everyone

I am doing my first Camino this summer. I don't have anything booked yet but I'm hoping to go from either Ponferrada or O Cebreiro to Santiago. Does anyone know how many days I should allow to get from Ponferrada to Santiago? Also if I go from O Cebreiro, does that go through the mountains? And last question, what is the best airport to fly into? Madrid is the cheapest but I know its quite far away. I would be very grateful of any information. Thank you so much.

Rebecca

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rebecca from Ponferrada you are looking at about 200km, so 10 days of walking would be a good estimate. If starting in O'Cebreiro you save 2 days and a long climb which is near the top of the mountains. Madrid would be my choice of airports to fly into plenty of choices of trains and bus schedules.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A good friend has just returned from this trip. Fly to Madrid, train to Ponferrada, walk to Santiago. The mountain is a challenge but so is getting to O'thaybray-eeyo by public transport.

Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
madrid is your best option.

then perhaps an ALSA bus from madrid to ponferrada +5 hours, or piedrafita do cebreiro (taxi or walk up the ill to o cebreiro) to start walking. there are trains to ponferrada but less frequent than buses (none to piedrafita)

some pilgrims do ponferrada to o cebreiro in three stages because of the difficult and long ascent. typically ponferrada to villafranca, then villafranca to o cebreiro (or stopping somewhere before o cebreiro, then perhaps not spending in the night in o cebreiro but continuing downhill to triacastela the next day).

from cebreiro, it's a classic 7-8 days to santiago

Buen Camino

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum. My husband and I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in 9 days. We are in our 50s and of average fitness.

We flew into Madrid and travelled to Ponferrada by train from Chamartin station. It was all very simple. You can also take a bus (www.alsa.es) from Madrid airport to Ponferrada, so it's worth checking that out too.

Buen Camino!

Rebecca....what are your travel dates. I'm flying into Madrid but i start my Walk in Ponferrada on 6/3.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum