• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many people go right to Orisson?

isawtman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2022
Ice Age Trail, 2014, 2019
I was wondering how many people skip staying at St Jean Pied de Port
and hike right to Orisson. The one bus from Pamplona arrives in SJPP
at around 1:30 pm. If you sat right in the front of the bus and were one of
the first people off, then if you headed right to the Pilgrims Office to get
your Credential, perhaps you could start hiking by 2 pm. It's a 4.7 mile
hike to Orisson. I have heard that Orisson can be irritated if you arrive late
so maybe Borda would be a better choice. Still, I think I could huff it to
Orisson by 5 pm if that's the only hiking I am doing that day. It appears
that I did that hike in 3 hours the first time I did it. I have a photo of
me starting out at St Jean at 7:23 am and another photo of me enjoying
a ham sandwich at Orisson at 10:21 am. I'm just wondering if there are
any people that have done this. I don't need to hear about the merits
of St Jean, etc. I've been there and done that.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
in May 2022, I took the 1:30 bus and made it to Orisson in time to get my things settled on my bunk and make it to dinner. It IS possible. Buen Camino!

of St Jean, etc. I've been there and done

Just a thought, if time is an issue, why not get your credencial before you leave home?
I get mine mailed to me at my home address before I start out. I'm not normally in a rush, but it means that you aren't at the mercy of Pilgrim/Tourist Office opening hours/queues

Hope this helps

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a thought, if time is an issue, why not get your credencial before you leave home?
I get mine mailed to me at my home address before I start out. I'm not normally in a rush, but it means that you aren't at the mercy of Pilgrim/Tourist Office opening hours/queues

Hope this helps
Definitely a time saver.
@isawtman can order one from American Pilgrims.

The first stamp can be from the train station, a shop, or restaurant in St Jean. It doesn't have to be from the Pilgrim Office.

Hola - of course there is the issue of accommodation at Orisson,. Hopefully you are pre-booked?? The only reason I ask is that I have heard that it can be booked out. Also that 800 metre climb can be a bit tough if you have any jetlag. Cheers

We came in on a morning train, got our credicial stamped, bought a jack knife and had a picnic in a little park near the river. So... it was afternoon by the time we hiked up to Orisson. We took our time walking as we were jet lagged and had taken the night train from Paris. We got there long before dinner. We did have reservations but others did not. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would skip Orisson if I were to do it again. If unfit Orisson appears as though a welcome refuge but the incline reduces straight after. I would stay over in SJPDP and with a booking for Roncesvalles make a slow and enjoyable walk to the top and over.

I left Lourdes early, and arrived in St Jean at lunch time - Pilgrim office closed, but it was important to me to get my first stamp there, so I had a wonderful lunch and then the office opened, I got my stamp and walked to Orisson. A wonderful first day on the Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would skip Orisson if I were to do it again. If unfit Orisson appears as though a welcome refuge but the incline reduces straight after. I would stay over in SJPDP and with a booking for Roncesvalles make a slow and enjoyable walk to the top and over.
Still plenty of hill left post- Orrisson though . . . 🙃

Attachments

• 20240122_143325.jpg
    20240122_143325.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
Interesting question . Flying in from US leaves you jet lagged and nothing worse than pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion that could take days to get over ( or sick) I have always stayed a night at St John and left early in the morning , rested at Orisson and trudged into Roncevalles. Always a tough/ long day but doable.

Interesting question . Flying in from US leaves you jet lagged and nothing worse than pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion that could take days to get over ( or sick) I have always stayed a night at St John and left early in the morning , rested at Orisson and trudged into Roncevalles. Always a tough/ long day but doable.
Me too; breaking that first day up was definitely the right decision for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Orisson books up quickly and is prepaid, I wouldn't expect it to be easy to get a room last minute during busy months. We enjoyed breaking up the first leg. Either way, highly recommend getting a leg massage at the hotel in Roncesvalles. Definitely helped in acclimating to the walk after facing 40+ mph winds going over the Pyrenees on Day 2.

I'm assuming the person wouldn't be doing this in a Jet Lagged Condition

This may seem like crazy talk, but personally, I always try and get at least a several hour walk in right after arriving at my starting point. If I can get a half-day or even a few hours into my walk before stopping for the night, that is best. If not, an extensive walk around town will do. I have found the quickest cure for jet lag and the punishment of sitting down in airplanes, airports, trains, and busses is to get some fresh air and stretch the legs. It will help reset your rhythms, you'll sleep soundly that first night and feel great the next morning. This seems counter-intuitive, but you may want to give it a try sometime and see if it works for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I flew Canada to Paris to Biarritz, spent the night near the airport and took a train to SJPdP first thing the next morning. Stopped at the pilgrims office and headed straight for Valcarlos. Didn't take time adjust to the travel or anything, just got going.

Stopped at the pilgrims office and headed straight for Valcarlos.
Great little village is our Valcarlos
A Gods send if you continue from GR 65 [ Le Puy ] and avoid stopping St JPP

and hike right to Orisson.
I would think that given the relatively small number of beds available between both Orisson and Borda compared to Pilgrims walking, most people walk the distance to Roncesvalles in one day.
Therefore most people would start walking in the morning to give themselves time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This may seem like crazy talk, but personally, I always try and get at least a several hour walk in right after arriving at my starting point. If I can get a half-day or even a few hours into my walk before stopping for the night, that is best. If not, an extensive walk around town will do. I have found the quickest cure for jet lag and the punishment of sitting down in airplanes, airports, trains, and busses is to get some fresh air and stretch the legs. It will help reset your rhythms, you'll sleep soundly that first night and feel great the next morning. This seems counter-intuitive, but you may want to give it a try sometime and see if it works for you.
I agree completely, however in this instance the limited accommodation, and the restrictions (such as getting there in time for dinner) makes walking the camino straightaway perhaps not the best option. Depending of course upon arrival time.
But a couple of hours or so exploring town before a light meal and bed is an excellent idea.

I've already explored the town, so to me, that's not that much of an appealing option. Plus, the amount of beds at Orrison and Borda is not even an issue because I would be reserving it ahead of time. I'm just wondering if anyone has done the hike as I have described and how it worked out. I guess the one big issue is when's the cut off at Orisson? If it's 4:30 then I may not make it, if it's 5:30 I'll be fine.

What month are you walking ?
If I was regimented at 5 pm in the middle of summer …….Adios
If winter or just either side it’s a different story …… just .
Why are you walking the CF again ?
To take longer , to vary , to deviate ?
I ask this because I’ve been in St JPP many, many, times .
We have stopped , we have walked through but I still don’t believe I’m qualified to say after six visits ……..“ Been there done that “

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What month are you walking ?
If I was regimented at 5 pm in the middle of summer …….Adios
If winter or just either side it’s a different story …… just .
Why are you walking the CF again ?
To take longer , to vary , to deviate ?
I ask this because I’ve been in St JPP many, many, times .
We have stopped , we have walked through but I still don’t believe I’m qualified to say after six visits ……..“ Been there done that “
What month am I walking? not sure yet.
Why am I walking the CF again? Might be hiking with a newbie as a guide, etc.
to take longer, to vary, to deviate? don't think I want to take longer, but I
do want to stay at different places, if that's what you mean by deviate and vary.
It's not really a been there/done that situation. I just feel that other towns
would be better to take extra time in. In particular, Burgos, Leon, & Ponferrada.

extra time in.
I hope you venture to Samos
A truely lovely way and warm village.
Enjoy and I hope you take a few extra days , we found that out when returning , not just on CF.

I hope you venture to Samos
A truely lovely way and warm village.
Enjoy and I hope you take a few extra days , we found that out when returning , not just on CF.
yeah, I blew through the San Xil route the first time on the Camino Frances.
So, Samos is totally on my bucket list for next time.
That being said, I thought the San Xil route was pretty spectacular with the views.
It is featured in my "Best Moments on the Camino Frances" video here:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back