• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How to recycle on the Camino

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Spain has excellent recycling facilities in even very small villages, for plastic, paper/card, cans etc.

Batteries can be recycled in many of these recycling bins, in a small slot marked PILAS. Also you can recycle batteries in many places where you buy them, especially camera shops.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
Unfortunately there is also a lot of garbage on the way especially in the last 100kms not everybody is putting their rubbish in the bins.!!
Susanna

Susanna said:
Hi,
Unfortunately there is also a lot of garbage on the way especially in the last 100kms not everybody is putting their rubbish in the bins.!!
Susanna

Yes, Susanna, that's the problem. People carry food inside the plastics and after eating it they throw the plastic, etc, they don't carry it to the next town. In my opinion this is really a worse problem.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Terve,
this tells us the attitude towards the environment. What it tells us about pilgrimmage, I´m not sure, but it is very annoying. If I´m able to carry my food, I´m also able to carry my waste to the next pin.
-T-

In defense of pilgrims in general, it only takes an occasional litterbug. I followed a group of teenage school pilgrims one morning. They stopped at a vending machine, bought candy and chips, and for the next hour, I watched them leave a trail of of discarded wrappers! There was not any peer pressure, or an adult leader, to urge them to carry the trash to the next disposal area. No one in the group of about twelve would admit to speaking English, but I exchanged greetings with them for two days, and they were very nice kids. They just were not thinking about keeping the environment clean. One person with a can of paint or a Magic Marker can leave extensive graffiti, and one person with no regard for the cleanliness or appearance of the Camino can leave a mess that lasts days or years (orange peels never degrade, by the way; tissue may last only until the next big rain).

Someone is bound to ask, so, yes, I did pick up after the kids since their mothers were nowhere in sight.

Terve,
I´ve been thinking about the Camino. Is it really a pilgrimmage or just a "adventure"/hiking experience?.It´s not what you say, but what you do.
-T-

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum