• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Making International Connection at Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW)

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2023
Usually I fly to Europe non-stop from Seattle, sometimes I change planes at Chicago-O'Hare. The problem with returning through O'Hare is that when you clear US Customs and Immigration, you must travel to another terminal for your ongoing domestic flight -- and this requires going through the security queue again. So a four-hour layover in O'Hare is the minimum I ever arrange.

What's the arrangement at Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW) airport? Do you have to go through US security after clearing US Immigration & Customs? Or do you just proceed to your gate for the ongoing domestic flight?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As someone who has lived for a long time in both Chicago & Austin, I can assure you that the DFW airport is much more streamlined & easier to get thru in every way--international or not--than is O'Hare. You may have to go thru security again (I cannot recall), but I have never scheduled more than a two hour layover in DFW & that has been enough (assuming the plane arrives more or less on time). Another difference is that DFW has a great train system between terminals that only takes a few minutes instead of having to schlep all your stuff on food around O'Hare. So I hope that helps. (Of course, Chicago is a MUCH HIPPER CITY than is Dallas, but that is not what you asked!).
Dusty from Austin

Thanks so much! I was scouting around for routings using frequent-flyer miles, and DFW cropped up as an option. While I have made domestic connections there a couple times, I appreciate the info on the international set-up!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had my domestic connection from Tokyo through DFW in August and it was pretty painless to go through customs there. It's a fairly modern airport and I absolutely HATE O'Hare!

Most read last week in this forum