• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Markets on the Camino Francis

alanandgary

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
We will be walking from SJPDP to Santiago in mid May and I am wondering if there are many little markets along the route where we can buy fresh fruits and veggies to bring on our walk each day. I have seen quite a bit of info about bars and restaurants and where to eat but have not seen much about markets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is a cool idea - i look forward to seeing posts about it!!

Yes, there are markets very regularly. Some bars will even have a little tienda area selling fruits, vegetables, bread, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They are called "tiendas" and they are not always advertised.

Often, they will be in someone's home, behind one of those hanging "fly screens" that remind me of the beaded curtains we used in the 60's and 70's. People will be going in and out and there is a particular fragrance I relate with the tienda. Reminds me of the old corner store of my childhood.

Inside you will find fruit, vegetables, meats and cheeses (by the slice or weight), bread, and canned goods great for the Camino like olives and tuna.

I have an entire blog post on eating on the Camino if you're interested:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/eating-on-camino-santiago-coffee-and.html

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum