• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

"Miracle of the light" in San Juan de Ortega

Caminofácil

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2014)
Hi all:

Just a heads up in case you are near San Juan de Ortega today or tomorrow (more on this later), since you might have the chance of watching live the "Miracle of the light". As described previously in this forum:

The effect takes place on the spring and autumn equinocces. According to all the online sources I've checked, this year's autumn equinox is tomorrow (Sep. 22th); however, I've seen a couple of people on social media advising people to watch it today (21th). I have the impression that those people might be off-base, but I have also read other sources that say that it also happens on the day(s) previous to the equinox. So perhaps you'll be lucky, if you go today...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We happened into San Juan de Ortega a few years ago on the event day.
We had no knowledge of it and were very confused by the number of cars in the parking lot and the crowds of people.
A bit hard to get service in the lone bar.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Just by chance I'll be there tomorrow. I'm staying in. Belorado tonight.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Great! Just make sure you arrive with plenty of time, since I've been told that there might be quite a crowd. 5PM solar time would be 19:00, but I have been advised to arrive as early as 16:00 (though I don't know if that might be too early).

How is "Solar" time calculated?

Read more here:
http://cms.bsu.edu/academics/center...iodon/backgroundpages/background/solarvslocal

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We saw this one year. Fantastic! I've actually seen it in other churches as well. Can't recall where, but worth looking into.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum