• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Need to bring a guidebook ?

Skaisthelimit

Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno, Francis, or Portuguese 2015
What is essential for taking in terms of guides from Astorga to Santiago or is a Camino App suffice? I know the route is well marked ,but in terms of knowing distances and "what's next", as well as options of where to stay in each town, I must have something! Not keen on carrying any extra weight,but also want to have some sort of guideline to help "guide" my way

Best app suggestions???

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
urcamino.com

A guide book is not essential for finding the way or finding a place to sleep....but many of us like to know something of the area we are walking through. A guide will give you an idea of the distances and let you plan things to fit your requirements rather than following others in their plans.
A guide should also give you some choices in where to sleep and, usually, an idea of the cost.

John Brierley has a guide that is widely used on the Camino Frances...but there is now an excellent German guide that has just been translated into English. There are a couple of threads about the German guide active right now.
Here is a thread discussing the guides:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...and-yellow-german-guide-now-in-english.35636/

People have many opinions on carrying a guide..so just do what is comfortable for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like caminoguide.net. The basic guide with directions and accommodations is free (donation suggested), but for a small amount you can get the 'full' guide that includes some historical information. That is what I have taken with me the last few years. I keep the day's page at hand and carry the upcoming pages in my pack. You can also throw away each page after it is used and reprint it again after you get home for reference.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also walked in 2012, from Ponferrada to SDC without a guide of any kind, except a stylised linear map showing distances between towns, which I picked-up in the first albergue. I knew to walk west, and what the next town was, but that was all. I know now that I missed a lot of interesting things. Subsequently I have used Brierley's book, to great satisfaction, but you could use any resource. I definitely recommend using some kind of guide.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum