• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Variant to Riano?

TrailRunner

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2023: Lebaniego, Vadiniense y San Salvador
Hi, I walked the Camino de Lebaniego and Varidiense last week and it was truly glorious. I saw very few/no other pellegrinos along the way, although did meet some Spanish in the albergues along the way. Just wanted to mention an alternative section I took on the stretch before Riano. I can't find reference to it in any of my research so it may be a new variant. It's after you pass the Hermitage de San Turso. You can continue along the causeway towards the reservoir if not too wet underfoot. At the point where it swings right towards the road, it becomes obvious you have to join the road.The directions I was following from Gronze state there's no alternative but to carry on walking along this road, but directly opposite the point where I joined it, there's a new fence on the far side with fresh yellow arrows giving you the option to take this alternative route. This I did. It's a narrow path that goes up the mountain for a short stretch before swinging left. This wooded path then hugs the side of the mountain, going around a deep valley and around the other side. It comes out just before Riano and avoids walking along that busy highway. For me, that was very welcome. I found it very beautiful and tranquil but it was longer by at least 2-3 km, which I didn't mind at all. One on this alternative path, there were no yellow arrows marking the way but the path was obvious and there was no confusion with any other paths. I recommend it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
H
Hi, I walked the Camino de Lebaniego and Varidiense last week and it was truly glorious. I saw very few/no other pellegrinos along the way, although did meet some Spanish in the albergues along the way. Just wanted to mention an alternative section I took on the stretch before Riano. I can't find reference to it in any of my research so it may be a new variant. It's after you pass the Hermitage de San Turso. You can continue along the causeway towards the reservoir if not too wet underfoot. At the point where it swings right towards the road, it becomes obvious you have to join the road.The directions I was following from Gronze state there's no alternative but to carry on walking along this road, but directly opposite the point where I joined it, there's a new fence on the far side with fresh yellow arrows giving you the option to take this alternative route. This I did. It's a narrow path that goes up the mountain for a short stretch before swinging left. This wooded path then hugs the side of the mountain, going around a deep valley and around the other side. It comes out just before Riano and avoids walking along that busy highway. For me, that was very welcome. I found it very beautiful and tranquil but it was longer by at least 2-3 km, which I didn't mind at all. One on this alternative path, there were no yellow arrows marking the way but the path was obvious and there was no confusion with any other paths. I recommend it!
How was the weather? I’m playing with the idea of walking this path next September.

H

How was the weather? I’m playing with the idea of walking this path next September.
It was amazing! Generally cool mornings, hot by mid day. Just one morning of light rain, and one other day that was cooler and overcast. I didn't start off until around 8am as it was dark before then - I like to see what's going on around me 🙂 NB, I did this Camino the 3rd week of September

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks - I’ll keep an eye on the weather reports through October- like you I like to see what’s going on but do not like walking in the heat.

The amount of sphalt on this route was a real problem for me. I remember that years ago, there was chatter that much of it would be re-worked, but I don’t know that ever happened. This was true particularly after Cistierna along the river, if I remember right. Did you find that things were ok?

The amount of sphalt on this route was a real problem for me. I remember that years ago, there was chatter that much of it would be re-worked, but I don’t know that ever happened. This was true particularly after Cistierna along the river, if I remember right. Did you find that things were ok?
I didn't mind the quieter country roads so much after Cistierna. It was walking along the highway before that, the stretch after Horcadas until the tunnel that I really didn't like and didn't feel at all safe. It seemed to go on and on. Must've been at least for 3km. Kept throwing myself over the safety barrier to avoid the oncoming traffic. I concur with the sentiments made elsewhere on this forum that it is not at all safe and the greatest of care must be taken.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did you have any trouble with finding accommodation? Especially on the Lebaniego portion?

No, I didn't have any significant problems. I didn't prebook anything as I prefer to see how I feel on the day, but realise this can be too heart-in-the mouth for some. I think I was lucky but the season is winding down for these more remote caminos. The hostel at Cades was quite busy, Cabanes was quiet. On the Vadiniense, I had one very long stretch from Portilla de la Reina to Cremenes due to lack of accommodation at Las Salas. I had the albergue all to myself at Gradefes.

For anyone walking the Vadiniense, you will go by San Miguel de la Escalada on the last day into Mansilla de las Mulas. If you are a fan of ancient churches, do not miss this one.

Siglo IX - X. Just gorgeous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back