• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

On The Rural Spain

evanlow

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
After 11 Caminos, want to Ruta de la Lana next...
Here's something that is not normally associated with the camino but I think is very relevant. An excerpt of the news:

This is a reminder that the caminos in Spain does not go through every rural town.

And the title of this article? (Hold on to your seat).

Spanish mothers in debt after trying a nearly nude fund-raising calendar for rural school. (via the Herald Tribune)

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/16/europe/EU-GEN-Spain-Seven-Brave-Moms.php

A la the repeat of the Calendar Girls in the UK, but unfortunately in their case it has gotten them into debt. Sad...

So what's that got to do with the the camino via de la Plata? Well, they are from the province of Salamanca, in a town called Serradilla del Arroyo. That is about 50 km west from the camino route before Salamanca heading towards the border town of Ciudad Rodrigo (a nice detour, according to some Travel Guides for Spain).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/straydog/2421937135/

Whether or not you approved the town's method for funding their school, it still shows the plight and challenges of rural Spain. Sometimes you just can't separate the pilgrimage and the people in the land that you're walking on.

I probably won't be making this detour on my via de la Plata later this month. But if I ever chance upon the calendar along the way, I might actually buy one. Yeah, I know, it's not exactly the appropriate material for a pilgrim to carry along. But hey, it's for a good cause. :mrgreen:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The guide books are right, Cuidad Rodrigo is worth a visit. We flew to Valladolid for a weeks holiday last year, spending time in Salamanca, Zamora and Cuidad Rodrigo. I walked the vdlp in 2004 so it's been good to go back to places I have walked through.

It is quite relevant indeed, even more so than the ridiculous questions like : what kind of shoes to wear or should I take a poncho or a raincoat...

To walk to Santiago does not prevent one from being conscious of the social problems of the country you are crossing. Sure it is a pilgrimage and your health and well being is important but none of us should ignore the situation which prevails in rural Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum