• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Physical/mental fatigue on the Camino – Hitting a wall?

annelise

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
I recently read in a post (sorry, cannot just locate it now – it was at the end of a long thread) that it seemed to be a common phenomenon to experience both physical and mental fatigue after 5 – 7 days into the camino.

I have thought about this, because this was exactly what I felt (checked my notes to be sure) after about seven days (starting from Roncesvalles). I kind of hit a wall after seven days – felt I had to make it a short day – and checked into a hotel.

Physically I had been doing fine so far – no blisters, good feet, no particular pains or aches, and carrying my backpack.

But suddenly I almost couldn't drag my feet along to a shop to buy food - and my body felt totally exhausted (but no pain) – and mentally I hit a total low.

Now I wonder whether this is a common occurrence or experience (hitting a wall)? – and if so, whether you would care to share your experience.
Kind regards, Annelise

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suspect it was a post by me. It happens to me every time, and I blame it primarily on nutrition. I eat, but I often find myself too fatigued to eat a real meal, and I don't eat the 4,000 calories per day that I am burning. Breakfast, and often lunch, is high in bread and low in protein, and I think that is the problem. I try to keep protein intake up, usually with eggs and omelets, but probably still don't have enough. The first day I boil a half-dozen eggs to carry with me. Tuna, sardines, canned meats, and sausage are other protein possibilities, so I try to have them in my pack when I stop for lunch or a snack. Whether I actually eat them is a function of appetite and attitude!

The mental state probably comes from the combination of nutrition and fatigue. It is not hard for the run-down feeling to translate into a mental state.

A day of rest has always been the cure!

I think I hit a wall every 5-7 days. I didn't last long and the next morning I was usually fine and ready to go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love rest days - in somewhere deeply nourishing. They did me a power of good on the Camino and I learnt as much from them as from the walking. Learning to listen to the needs of your body and soul is, for me, deeply part of the Camino.

There's a post on rest days here:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/rest-days/

take it easy!

Andy

Most read last week in this forum