• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mental Health on and AFTER the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2025
I am by no means a Mental Health professional (MHP). However Psychology and Nursing is my educational major and loss and grief are the highest topics since the PANDEMIC, in which I have had the pleasure OF FIRST HAND FRONT AND CENTER ON MY FACE experience with people of all walks of life, faiths and profession in my ER.

Many have shared on YOUTUBE, other doeums, instagram, FACEBOOK etc., about what happens after their Camino and how they are dealing with their depression, and feelings to be to the point.

Basically they are dealing with the question of, "OK, Now what!?" And, with a form of "LOSS AND GRIEF."

The same way Fighter pilots, soldiers, doctors, nurses, etc in high stress situations are required to go through a form of debriefing, so too should many pilgrams. I am glad that here in the US we have American Pilgram on Camino where there are so many willing and wanting to talk about their experiences. This is like a majore support system. Like group therapy.

We tend to forget all pf the thinking, praying, and unconscious decisions we are making on our life for those 4 weeks, of that journey that we push on with our routine as a countdown to the end of only needing to be reaching Santiago. But what comes after!?

Some of the blogs and posts I have read have had enlightenment, regained Gods favor and in their folloing of their church and others have had experiences beyond their dreams. Whilst others have had dreams crushed and their expectations blurred because they raised their own mental bar to be more than just allowing their walk to happen.

I and my husband will be walking together in April 2025. And for this reason because we have always been each other's sounding board and debriefing and we do not have the same career back ground.

My wish and hope is that everyone be kind to themselves after your Camino. You all have had a major LIFE CHANGING EVENT, and have not only pushed the limits of your body but of your mind as well.

Allow yourself to not be ok. Allow yourself to grieve and allow yourself time to do so. Find peace in knowing you completed something very powerful and basque in that experience. God bless and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You all have had a major LIFE CHANGING EVENT, and have not only pushed the limits of your body but of your mind as well.
We haven't all had this dramatic experience. The description seems to outline an expectation that will probably not be true. Certainly some people have a major life-changing experience on the Camino, but I don't think it is true for the vast majority of individuals. The hours walking without other distractions gives many people time for some insight into their problems and joys, so I suppose that means some life-changing but not a huge amount.

I do agree that people who are struggling with any mental health issues before they set out on a Camino should be aware of their own needs and vulnerabilities. The Camino might exacerbate whatever emotions they are dealing with. There are opportunities in Santiago to debrief - for example Pilgrim House has some guidance on this.

I think you might be falling into the trap of survivor bias here. Most blogs / YT / social media accounts are for profit (views, engagement, adverts) so having a profound end to their walk (positive or negative) is part of the deal. Or see it the other way round - if you did have a profound experience you are way more likely to talk about it than about a very orderly ending.

The vast vast majority of people that I met during my Caminos - or people that also walked at some point and we got talking about - neither had profound reasons for walking the Camino nor profound experiences during it.

Going into this experience with the pre-conceived notion that the Camino will be eye-opening, life changing etc might set you up for a lot of disappointment. That’s what I experienced after my first Camino - there was absolutely nothing life changing about it and I felt somewhat lacking / inadequate because I expected to “feel something” at the end, make some big change in my life, revel in the experience for weeks on end… When none of this materialised I was disappointed, setting a somewhat sad end to the Walk. Much later I realised that - for me - the lessons of the Camino where much more subtle than what I read about during my preparations.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
None of my Caminos were a life changing event.
Like in " normal life " I meet people, might like them or not. I might have experiences, but they do not differ much of what I experience in my daily life.
The Camino did not push my body to the limit, except for some annoying blisters.
The Camino did certainly not push my mind to the limit.
I personally would never use any group in a " camino community " as a group therapy.That is exactly why I dislike the concept of " a camino family ".
I walk, make a pilgrimage just because I can.

@TeMahAbuela2023 , whilst for some what you say is undeniably true, in the most part I'm an agreement with @C clearly here. For me it wasn't a life-changing event (nor had I expected it to be), rather a pleasant escape from so-called reality. Rather like reading a good book but in extended format. In fact almost like a role play of the lead character - because it's exactly what I was.
I think you might be falling into the trap of survivor bias here. Most blogs / YT / social media accounts are for profit (views, engagement, adverts) so having a profound end to their walk (positive or negative) is part of the deal. Or see it the other way round - if you did have a profound experience you are way more likely to talk about it than about a very orderly ending.

The vast vast majority of people that I met during my Caminos - or people that also walked at some point and we got talking about - neither had profound reasons for walking the Camino nor profound experiences during it.

Going into this experience with the pre-conceived notion that the Camino will be eye-opening, life changing etc might set you up for a lot of disappointment. That’s what I experienced after my first Camino - there was absolutely nothing life changing about it and I felt somewhat lacking / inadequate because I expected to “feel something” at the end, make some big change in my life, revel in the experience for weeks on end… When none of this materialised I was disappointed, setting a somewhat sad end to the Walk. Much later I realised that - for me - the lessons of the Camino where much more subtle than what I read about during my preparations.
I think this more accurately reflects what most experience. Certainly it is more in line with my experience and those of both groups of people that I met on my two camino's. (We're all still in touch).
Although as a YouTuber myself I disagree about the social media comment 🤔. But then I do it on a not-for-profit basis as do most of those that I find worth following.

As you will often find written here on the forum many of us find that the camino is just a metaphor for life. And at some point some people need help. Whether it be a professional or simply a friendly listening ear.

Personally I feel that the less expectations you have going into the camino, the more you will get out of it.

Enjoy

Last edited:
One of the biggest problems for people who have completed their camino is a sense of anti-climax. To a very large extent this is because the camino de Santiago is the subject of massive levels of hype, which creates huge and unrealistic expectations. Walking the camino de Santiago probably won´t change your life and if you think it will, you really need to think about how and why you want your life to change. What it may well do is change the way you think about your life and yourself, but if the way you think about life is not under constant appraisal you are probably not living a very full one. It is a walk. It is not a particularly gruelling walk, it is intended for any person of normal health to be able to negotiate without too much effort and little or no danger and the various jurisdictions it passes through work hard to keep it that way. It is, though, a wonderful experience because you are following a centuries old tradition, passing through towns and villages steeped in history and culture, and meeting people of different social classes, backgrounds, nationalities, age and beliefs you might never otherwise meet, let alone interact with. It should not be a traumatic experience that requires some form of debriefing, but it is something we all feel a compulsion to talk about to like-minded people, which is where this forum and the many ´friends of the camino´ associations come in. As a wise hospitalera told me on the second day of my first camino ´el camino te engancha´ - the camino hooks you. Certainly does.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I find I like walking the Caminos because of the experiences I have walking the Caminos. I rarely have any expectations of it providing meaning in my life. My roles as a father, grandfather, husband, uncle,friend, son....etc are where I derive meaning from. I like the physical challenge, especially as I get older. My knee is still bothering me from an injury on my last Camino, so I went to Europe for 6 weeks, and didn't walk a Camino. My trip was just as good because of many varied experiences. But I did miss the ease of rising every morning with my day figured out. I tried to walk 10 to 15 kilometers a day and feel I can attempt another Camino in the future.
As far as a debriefing, I've never felt the need. But because of my having 6 weeks to do as I please, I feel gratitude and motivation to get back to being responsible to and for others.

The same way Fighter pilots, soldiers, doctors, nurses, etc in high stress situations are required to go through a form of debriefing, so too should many pilgrams. I am glad that here in the US we have American Pilgram on Camino where there are so many willing and wanting to talk about their experiences. This is like a majore support system. Like group therapy.
Mountain. molehill. sledgehammer. nut.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Having spent a few years on deployments into combat zones that actually required post debriefs and counseling and of course PTSD and having also walked the Camino several times, different routes I can honestly say I find no resemblance between the two and also to be honest, and I'm not saying this to offend, the notion of a post Camino debrief I find absurd.
Why am I able to walk the Camino, and why are most pilgrims able to walk it? Because we are blessed, fortunate. Blessed with the resources, time, physical health to do so. There are so many out there not so blessed and fortunate and want to walk it. For them life is a struggle just to get by day to day, physically and economically.
I just can't imagine sitting in a group and saying boo hoo I wish I was back on my walking holiday, how can I cope. Just being able to be in that group is an indicator of blessings and fortune.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We haven't all had this dramatic experience. The description seems to outline an expectation that will probably not be true. Certainly some people have a major life-changing experience on the Camino, but I don't think it is true for the vast majority of individuals. The hours walking without other distractions gives many people time for some insight into their problems and joys, so I suppose that means some life-changing but not a huge amount.

I do agree that people who are struggling with any mental health issues before they set out on a Camino should be aware of their own needs and vulnerabilities. The Camino might exacerbate whatever emotions they are dealing with. There are opportunities in Santiago to debrief - for example Pilgrim House has some guidance on this.
Yes I agree. No one e really knows what others are walking with or for. Thank you for sharing that information. I appreciate your help. I am apart of a new American Pilgrams group forming in Southeast Louisiana. I was hoping that others become aware of this opportunity for decompression.

I've noticed that many of those who post on the forum seem to be embarrassed, and slightly annoyed, by anything that touches on the aspects of the Camino that are, or can be, transformative, life changing, or in any way mystical. They consider it unseemly to talk about such things and are irked when others do so. An Anglo-Saxon aversion to any form of transcendence? People in different cultures and classes experience the world differently. I think it's wrong to dismiss their sincere expression of how they feel their experience as "overblown" or "offensive". Let people speak as they wish.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've noticed that many of those who post on the forum seem to be embarrassed, and slightly annoyed, by anything that touches on the aspects of the Camino that are, or can be, transformative, life changing, or in any way mystical. They consider it unseemly to talk about such things and are irked when others do so. An Anglo-Saxon aversion to any form of transcendence? People in different cultures and classes experience the world differently. I think it's wrong to dismiss their sincere expression of how they feel their experience as "overblown" or "offensive". Let people speak as they wish.
I think most people responding here come from a place of well-meaning. Going into the Camino - or any other experience - with the strong intention that it is going to a transcendent experience is setting yourself up for failure. Pointing that out to someone who’s clearly very excited and somewhat inexperienced concerning the Camino isn’t meant to be mean, it’s kind.

However, I do think you are making a very valid point re: country / culture. Someone getting into the Camino because they saw “The Way” (and liked it) will be entering this adventure with different expectations than someone that read “I’m off then / Ich bin dann mal weg”.

As for people getting somewhat offended by the comparison between military duty and post-Camino sadness - well, I’ve never been in the military so not my place to get offended (but honestly, I do get where they come from).

Overblown and offensive would be needing counseling or debrief after what amounts to a long walk whilst on holiday. Not saying it doesn't touch someone spiritually, emotionally or otherwise. I know, because it does that for me, but saying having to leave it and resuming previous activities in life isn't PTSD worthy.

Interesting innit? Most of the life-changing experiences that we actually hear about on this forum are: face-plants; trips and falls resulting in medical evacuations or the ilk. And, for some, the end of that Camino and probable preclusion of any other. We hear, occasionally, of new life-partners met in smelly Albergues or the deep clay of Navarra. We have the odd "confession" from a serial hiker hitting the Damascene moment and discovering that they were "Pilgrim" after all: "For a' That and a' That". The ones that really hurt are the sudden and un-expected passing of one or another; that "unknown Pilgrim" transitioning from the Way to the last straight road. Long term members will have offered prayers, or wine and smoke, for many who passed this way and brought a little light with them.

I can understand that the Camino melodramas played out on Ubend, Farcebook and Wurse can leave a trail of anxiety, of hope and despair but surely the resolution there is "put down the mouse and step away from the computer"; and keep stepping until you get to Santiago. Offer some thanks along the way to Domingo de la Calzada and to Juan de Ortega for the bridges and the safer roads. Be generous in your Donativos, show respect in your every interaction. Pay some respects to those old bones when you get there and even give the old boy a hug if you can. But, a Tinkers but, so a very big but: if you think that a pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago is about you: you're on the wrong road

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most blogs / YT / social media accounts are for profit (views, engagement, adverts)
This hasn't been my experience. In my experience, most have been for personal expression or sharing with friends and family (and anyone else who sees it is a bonus). I think a vanishing small percentage receive a noticeable financial reward for their effort, one that would recompense for the time spent writing/filming/editing/ etc.

Last edited:
Overblown and offensive would be needing counseling or debrief after what amounts to a long walk whilst on holiday.
I think debrief can take many forms. I don't find it overblown or offensive to consider that some might find value in a session to discuss and articulate what they learned from their experience. I am certainly not offended by Pilgrim House's offerings in this regard. Your mileage may vary, of course.

While I agree with most of what has been stated in the posts AFTER the original one (I'm not one to be offended by someone else's opinion even if I disagree with it so I don't share the offense, but the rest of the sentiments I can nod to), I think there is room for some generosity towards the original poster.
Firstly, she has yet to walk - she does not yet have the experience of walking the way and discovering that it really can be just a nice walk in a very beautiful park.
Secondly, what she does know about it is based on those who she has found on various platforms who clearly HAVE either had a momentous experience or at least framed it that way. Those of us who have simply walked and enjoyed and given thanks have more often than not refrained from publishing the fact. By the time the OP and her husband return from their walk they will have met many of the other types so-far-not-encountered and she might even change her take on how arduous the whole thing is. I imagine she will quite possibly no longer be making parallels with truly traumatic experiences.
But, as I say, she hasn't walked yet, so even as we may disagree with her, let's give her some slack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree. Whole-heartedly. I love the mystical enchantment of the folklore for centuries past. And allowing others to express themselves as they should be. That is part of the adventure and the pilgrimage. I feel that is what this will be for me. I have no issues with speaking or allowing others to speak or share themselves. Being a Nurse has humbled me with that gift to listen and not judge. If you don't want to be spoken ro then avoid being around those that may approach you. But also consider that when you speak and share things that is also an invitation to allow others to speak back.

Interesting innit? Most of the life-changing experiences that we actually hear about on this forum are: face-plants; trips and falls resulting in medical evacuations or the ilk. And, for some, the end of that Camino and probable preclusion of any other. We hear, occasionally, of new life-partners met in smelly Albergues or the deep clay of Navarra. We have the odd "confession" from a serial hiker hitting the Damascene moment and discovering that they were "Pilgrim" after all: "For a' That and a' That". The ones that really hurt are the sudden and un-expected passing of one or another; that "unknown Pilgrim" transitioning from the Way to the last straight road. Long term members will have offered prayers, or wine and smoke, for many who passed this way and brought a little light with them.

I can understand that the Camino melodramas played out on Ubend, Farcebook and Wurse can leave a trail of anxiety, of hope and despair but surely the resolution there is "put down the mouse and step away from the computer"; and keep stepping until you get to Santiago. Offer some thanks along the way to Domingo de la Calzada and to Juan de Ortega for the bridges and the safer roads. Be generous in your Donativos, show respect in your every interaction. Pay some respects to those old bones when you get there and even give the old boy a hug if you can. But, a Tinkers but, so a very big but: if you think that a pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago is about you: you're on the wrong road
Well worded. I am a big supporter of donations. And like to hug others and take photos with them. I enjoy their own stories and how they began taking care of pilgrams. I am joining a new start up chapter so that I can give back or pay it forward before i even do my first Camino. I am excited to necome apart of something so special and so grand. And not for just for myself but, to give pf myself as those have done for me.

And allowing others to express themselves as they should be. That is part of the adventure and the pilgrimage. I feel that is what this will be for me. I have. If you don't want to be spoken ro then avoid being around those that may approach you. But also consider that when you speak and share things that is also an invitation to allow others to speak back.

I will certainly not avoid people/pilgrims who try to speak to me when they approach me but it will be also my choice not to answer them. Hopefully in a polite way.

PS : Good for you that you like to hug others and take photos with them but please ask beforehand because lots of people will feel not comfortable with that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am by no means a Mental Health professional (MHP). However Psychology and Nursing is my educational major and loss and grief are the highest topics since the PANDEMIC, in which I have had the pleasure OF FIRST HAND FRONT AND CENTER ON MY FACE experience with people of all walks of life, faiths and profession in my ER.

Allow yourself to not be ok. Allow yourself to grieve and allow yourself time to do so. Find peace in knowing you completed something very powerful and basque in that experience. God bless and Buen Camino
On my CF four years ago I walked partly in commemoration of my deceased elder brother.
On my CP this year I tried to get rid of some of the mental load of the life-changes by a heart-attack, depression and seperation from my former wife. It worked quite well.

The "debriefing" offered by local groups in SdC is very welcome and helpful.
It is offered in different languages (as far as I remember in spanish, english, german, dutch and french).
For me, it helped a lot to talk about the Camino and all of your thoughts and insights on your journey after you've arrived. This year was my first time using this service and I think now, it should be part of every wholesome Camino.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The Camino Companions, (upstairs in room 6 at the Pilgrims Office building in SdC, offer a wonderful support service for those wishing to talk about, or reflect on their experience. Though it is aimed at english speaking pilgrims., they are very welcoming to all..

I will certainly not avoid people/pilgrims who try to speak to me when they approach me but it will be also my choice not to answer them. Hopefully in a polite way.

PS : Good for you that you like to hug others and take photos with them but please ask beforehand because lots of people will feel not comfortable with that.
Yes...I do have manners. I am not a hug happy wandering fool...lol. thank you for making that point. Being in my profession I usually allow the moment to take precedence and of course ask before making my intention of hugging.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found the Camino to be a life-altering and ongoing experience. Your experience may be different. When a forum member offers her empathy and kindness, even if her articulation of it doesn’t resonate with everyone, it amazes me to read comments finding her post offensive.

Also PTSD does not need to be defined by a pissing contest of pain and trauma. Some of us have experienced war in the field, others in the home, still others on the streets or in the very communities we are born into. None of us is immune. Buen camino and may it bring all of us peace.

While I agree with most of what has been stated in the posts AFTER the original one (I'm not one to be offended by someone else's opinion even if I disagree with it so I don't share the offense, but the rest of the sentiments I can nod to), I think there is room for some generosity towards the original poster.
Firstly, she has yet to walk - she does not yet have the experience of walking the way and discovering that it really can be just a nice walk in a very beautiful park.
Secondly, what she does know about it is based on those who she has found on various platforms who clearly HAVE either had a momentous experience or at least framed it that way. Those of us who have simply walked and enjoyed and given thanks have more often than not refrained from publishing the fact. By the time the OP and her husband return from their walk they will have met many of the other types so-far-not-encountered and she might even change her take on how arduous the whole thing is. I imagine she will quite possibly no longer be making parallels with truly traumatic experiences.
But, as I say, she hasn't walked yet, so even as we may disagree with her, let's give her some slack.
Thank you. I am not offended by anyone. I have walked many paths in this life and have no experience nor expectations of others fulfilling my own walk for me.

I am an ER Nurse who has been in the trenches of death since 2020 and still fighting my own battle with a brain injury. I am enamored by all of you who have walked.

Being a nurse is a calling. To give of myself to care for others in their time of need, sickness, injury, ignorance is what I do. My walk will be for me to heal my heart against those who view the world in hindsight and selflessness so that I can continue caring for others with the Nurses and Doctors without Borders organization.

As well I would like to give my services on the Camino for those in dire need. My topic is to help me prepare further to help others. NOT to debate or debase whether I am aware of the great significance of the reverence or relevance of the way. Simply my caring about mankind in my journey. Thank you so much for your supportive words and back up. ❤️

I think that if you start the Camino with mental health issues you are likely to end the Camino with mental health issues, and vice versa. Way too much is made of the transformative nature of what is in reality a long walk.
If a transformation is to happen it's probably more likely to come weeks or months after completing the Camino. In my case, I don't think that I was personally "transformed," but I have found something that I am passionate about, which has led me to meeting other people who share that passion, which is a very positive thing in my life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Many have shared on YOUTUBE, other doeums, instagram, FACEBOOK etc., about what happens after their Camino and how they are dealing with their depression, and feelings to be to the point.

Basically they are dealing with the question of, "OK, Now what!?" And, with a form of "LOSS AND GRIEF."

We tend to forget all pf the thinking, praying, and unconscious decisions we are making on our life for those 4 weeks, of that journey that we push on with our routine as a countdown to the end of only needing to be reaching Santiago. But what comes after!?

Some of the blogs and posts I have read have had enlightenment, regained Gods favor and in their folloing of their church and others have had experiences beyond their dreams. Whilst others have had dreams crushed and their expectations blurred because they raised their own mental bar to be more than just allowing their walk to happen.

I and my husband will be walking together in April 2025. And for this reason because we have always been each other's sounding board and debriefing and we do not have the same career back ground.

My wish and hope is that everyone be kind to themselves after your Camino. You all have had a major LIFE CHANGING EVENT, and have not only pushed the limits of your body but of your mind as well.

As a long-time walker/pilgrim, I would be reluctant to take advice about mental issues after a Camino from a person who hasn't walked a Camino.

This is just my position. And mine.

Last edited:
Regular walking is known to help both mental and physical health. For that reason, the Camino can be a path to better mental and physical health, if you adopt walking as a significant activity before and after a Camino.

I try to walk a lot, as training for my next Camino, but also as a general contribution to my health and longevity. Perhaps I will have to stop the long distance Caminos in Spain one of these years, but I will try to keep walking as much as possible. I thank the Camino for encouraging this good habit.

As a long-time walker/pilgrim, I would be reluctant to take advice about mental issues after a Camino from a person who hasn't walked a Camino.

This is just my position. And mine.
This thread was not about giving advice on MH...nor about being a PROFESSIONAL WALKER or PILGRAM. Nor about invoking who is better than who. No offense was intended on my behalf what-so-ever. Obviously this is a touching subject and uncomfortable for many.

I am knowledge seeking from those of you have been blessed to experience this journey and asking what? if any? Have you seen or experienced anyone or going through this. And is there something available for those who do?

So quick to spat or judge just because I have not walked a 500 mile journey on such a sacred road. NO doubt I have worked several thousand hours holding the hand of those dying and praying as they do. And I have spent countless hours in serving as a volunteer nurse. So a different type of road. Still lonely at times but full of joy and enlightenment in the pursuit of wanting nothing more than to help others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At: monteirago.org, a Benedictine Monastery in Rabanal del Camino on Camino Frances route, pilgrims and regular folk can book in before, during, after, and other times of year to discuss their lives.

Now, the monastery seems to be offering year-round retreats for all comers.

But, a few years ago the retreat was primarily for pilgrims post camino reflections.

Last edited:
At: monteirago.org, a Benedictine Monastery in Rabanal del Camino on Camino Frances route, pilgrims and regular folk can book in before, during, after, and other time of year to discuss their lives.

Now, the monastery seems to be offering year-round retreats for all comers.

But, a few years ago the retreat was primarily for post camino reflection.
Great to know. Wonderful

This thread was not about giving advice on MH...nor about being a PROFESSIONAL WALKER or PILGRAM. Nor about invoking who is better than who. No offense was intended on my behalf what-so-ever. Obviously this is a touching subject and uncomfortable for many.

I am knowledge seeking from those of you have been blessed to experience this journey and asking what? if any? Have you seen or experienced anyone or going through this. And is there something available for those who do?

So quick to spat or judge just because I have not walked a 500 mile journey on such a sacred road. NO doubt I have worked several thousand hours holding the hand of those dying and praying as they do. And I have spent countless hours in serving as a volunteer nurse. So a different type of road. Still lonely at times but full of joy and enlightenment in the pursuit of wanting nothing more than to help others.
Then what is this thread about? Your seemingly wish to help less mentally educated pilgrims is admirable, but what is the problem you want to help them with? I have never heard of serious mental issues after walking a Camino. I have heard of satisfaction, closure, disappointment it's over (very understandable; Curable at home, and then maybe returning, But that is not a serious mental health disorder.), etc. , but not of PTSD/depression/mental ill health.

While I appreciate your wish to help (repeat) pilgrims;, (which i really don't need) where/what is the problem of walking a Camino, for whatever (personal) reason, in perfect mental balance?

I seriously do not understand the meaning of this thread. Neither do I.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Then what is this thread about? Your seemingly wish to help less mentally educated pilgrims is admirable, but what is the problem you want to help them with? I have never heard of serious mental issues after walking a Camino. I have heard of satisfaction, closure, disappointment it's over (very understandable; Curable at home, and then maybe returning, But that is not a serious mental health disorder.), etc. , but not of PTSD/depression/mental ill health.

While I appreciate your wish to help (repeat) pilgrims;, (which i really don't need) where/what is the problem of walking a Camino, for whatever (personal) reason, in perfect mental balance?

I seriously do not understanding of this thread. Neither do I.
This as I just mentioned was knowledge seeking based on posts in other forums that I had read. Nothing to be meant as helping any person specifically. Curiosity. Research. Obviously structured in a way without enough questions for perspectives sake. Also Language barrier does inhibit the "Lost in translation"

This as I just mentioned was knowledge seeking based on posts in other forums that I had read. Nothing to be meant as helping any person specifically. Curiosity. Research. Obviously structured in a way without enough questions for perspectives sake. Also Language barrier does inhibit the "Lost in translation"
Right. Then let me assure you that serious mental health issues are not common among pilgrims. Gratitude often is.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@TeMahAbuela2023 , if you are seeking knowledge / to understand how many of us feel after finishing our caminos, another excellent post for you to consider is this:
I’ve been home now for three weeks, and the fire hose called “life” seems to have abated a bit. A drive across the state to pick up my dog, weddings to attend, doctor’s appointments, a flight to New Mexico to visit my son, the youngest turning 25 and a party invitation list that doubled while I was blissfully ignorant and walking across Spain - all the normal things we attend to on a daily basis, scribbles on the thirty plus little squares that make up each months’ “to do” list... But today is Tuesday and I am happy to settle into my first quiet day after returning; a day I can think back on my walk and what it has meant to me.

This is the third time I’ve come home and felt disoriented and a bit sad. This is the first time I’ve been prepared for it, and willing to ponder the why of it all. How many times upon returning home, have you sat up in the middle of the night, wondering where the bathroom is tonight and who you have to creep by to reach it, only to realize you’re at home? How many times have you stared at the clothes in your closet, unable to make up your mind, and then thought back to the dress you wore every night for a month? Why does it take 30 minutes to get myself out the door with just keys and a grocery list, when I could have my backpack ready to go in 5 minutes - in the dark and without a headlamp? I am, it seems, the most organized version of myself when walking to Santiago.

On the Camino, there is a “to do” list of one - get to the next village. It is a clear goal - walk. It feels good to be in your body and move. At home now, I find it hard to do that - I have a bed tonight. On the Camino, I walk 26 miles to meet a dear friend because he’s traveled so far to be there for my entrance into Santiago. At home, I’m finding it hard to walk my dog around the block. On the Camino, I accept the challenges of each day; crazy ascents, rocky paths, and the occasional wait while a large herd of sheep cross my path. At home, I find myself muttering under my breath when someone ambles too slowly along a crosswalk. I am, it seems, the most patient version of myself when walking to Santiago.

It appears there is a direct correlation between motivation, drive, empathy, and my feet. How do I reboot myself to be that person at home? Why does the dust of Spain on my feet bring out the nobler me, the person more willing to let random thoughts rattle around in my head, more willing to let go of hurts, more willing to hang on to joy? By walking, breathing, and viewing in slow motion, each day’s landscape unfolds around me. I move away from a person in control (or so I like to think), into a person who is waiting in anticipation for a surprise. Will it rain? Will it be miserably hot? Will I meet someone new today? How far can I walk - further than yesterday maybe? I am, it seems, the best version of myself when walking to Santiago.

My heart longs to be walking, and I am certain I will do so, yet again. My adult children are beginning to take notice of how their mother has changed over the years of these Camino paths, and are throwing out phrases that show they’d be willing to join me. This would be my greatest joy of all, to share this journey with them. I do know - even if they do not join me now, they will walk this path some day, if only to honor me. I know their hearts will expand as mine has; I know they will find the most organized version, the most patient version, the very best version of themselves, just as I have done.

If I walked all these miles just for that, it would be enough.

View attachment 159733
Susan has absolutely nailed it and very eloquently too. Judging by the number of likes I am not alone in thinking this....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@TeMahAbuela2023 - it's clear that you are a kind caring person who is excited about walking the Camino for the first time. But it seems that in your excitement and research you may be focusing too much on reading and watching videos about other pilgrims' experiences. I would suggest that you step away from the vlogs and Facebook groups, which seem to be influencing your expectations and ideas of the Camino. Let your Camino experience be your own, without the influence of the ways that others have felt on the Camino.

Focus on the practical matters - what to pack, how much time will you need, how to get to Spain, etc. Perhaps you want to learn more about Spanish culture and history to provide a richer experience. But let the Camino unfold for you as you walk it so that you have your own personal and unique experience.

@TeMahAbuela2023 - it's clear that you are a kind caring person who is excited about walking the Camino for the first time. But it seems that in your excitement and research you may be focusing too much on reading and watching videos about other pilgrims' experiences. I would suggest that you step away from the vlogs and Facebook groups, which seem to be influencing your expectations and ideas of the Camino. Let your Camino experience be your own, without the influence of the ways that others have felt on the Camino.

Focus on the practical matters - what to pack, how much time will you need, how to get to Spain, etc. Perhaps you want to learn more about Spanish culture and history to provide a richer experience. But let the Camino unfold for you as you walk it so that you have your own personal and unique experience.
I appreciate your Candor. I am bilingual. A world traveler and know very much about my ancestral home country of Spain. And honestly I have only watched 2 ladies that have hiked the Camino. I have my gear and have backpacked several trail systems. Of course non as long as the Camino

Articles I have read were shown to me from colleagues, friends and family. And yes I am very excited.

However my experiences will not be based on others. I am not that naive to read a vlog and live by that. I was simply being curious about how the world was doing after the Pandemic.

Apologies. So.etimes my brain injury gets in my way and I ramble. But you are right....let it be my own experience.....

I think this thread demonstrates just how different we all are, and how we think and view things differently and form expectations or not. Some analogies (and title) could have been better framed for sure, but the underlying theme is genuine, and we live in a free world (mostly).

Is it wrong to go on the Camino thinking it will change you? I don't think so, and maybe you're more open to change if you do so. Is the Camino a glorified gentle amble? No, and don't let anyone belittle your Camino in such a way. Is it wrong to worry about the end of the Camino? No, it seemed to be a very common theme among everyone I met. Is it wrong to want to talk the end of your Camino through with someone? No, and who is anyone else to tell you different.

Personally, I went very purposely with an open mind and heart even after reading endless Camino books and watching films/Youtubes etc – for me it was important to go like that. I went crippled with grief stretching back several months after losing my dog Flora, and the Camino fixed that grief, it turned it from grief to gratitude – I can't tell you how, but it did. I didn't go expecting it to, but I of course hoped it might. I felt Flora closer than ever before on the Camino, closer than I did in the home that we both lived for 9 years – I don't know how. The day I climbed Alto del Perdon I felt I could feel her brushing my legs as I walked, and it has felt like she's been there ever since. I can't explain that or any other what can only be described as serendipitous things (and there was some crazy stuff) that happened on my Camino that could never be explained – and I don't even need or want an explanation.

The best I can say that taken as it should be, the Camino will open you up to things that we lose in our everyday lives - if you let it. It will do this in so many ways, from the scenery, the energy, the history, the religion (if you're religious unlike me), the provenance, the meditative nature of walking, the people you meet and the multitude of experiences along the way, both good and bad – if you let it.

Life isn't black and white, and neither is the Camino. And maybe the secret to finding magic on the Camino is first believing that magic exists. For sure not everyone will have a happy Camino, not everyone will have anything exciting happen on their Camino – but some will and some do.

I'm a bit of a sucker for quotes, and this one from Paulo Coelho that I saw walking through Foncebadon became my Camino quote: “The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.”

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think this thread demonstrates just how different we all are, and how we think and view things differently and form expectations or not. Some analogies (and title) could have been better framed for sure, but the underlying theme is genuine, and we live in a free world (mostly).

Is it wrong to go on the Camino thinking it will change you? I don't think so, and maybe you're more open to change if you do so. Is the Camino a glorified gentle amble? No, and don't let anyone belittle your Camino in such a way. Is it wrong to worry about the end of the Camino? No, it seemed to be a very common theme among everyone I met. Is it wrong to want to talk the end of your Camino through with someone? No, and who is anyone else to tell you different.

Personally, I went very purposely with an open mind and heart even after reading endless Camino books and watching films/Youtubes etc – for me it was important to go like that. I went crippled with grief stretching back several months after losing my dog Flora, and the Camino fixed that grief, it turned it from grief to gratitude – I can't tell you how, but it did. I didn't go expecting it to, but I of course hoped it might. I felt Flora closer than ever before on the Camino, closer than I did in the home that we both lived for 9 years – I don't know how. The day I climbed Alto del Perdon I felt I could feel her brushing my legs as I walked, and it has felt like she's been there ever since. I can't explain that or any other what can only be described as serendipitous things (and there was some crazy stuff) that happened on my Camino that could never be explained – and I don't even need or want an explanation.

The best I can say that taken as it should be, the Camino will open you up to things that we lose in our everyday lives - if you let it. It will do this in so many ways, from the scenery, the energy, the history, the religion (if you're religious unlike me), the provenance, the meditative nature of walking, the people you meet and the multitude of experiences along the way, both good and bad – if you let it.

Life isn't black and white, and neither is the Camino. And maybe the secret to finding magic on the Camino is first believing that magic exists. For sure not everyone will have a happy Camino, not everyone will have anything exciting happen on their Camino – but some will and some do.

I'm a bit of a sucker for quotes, and this one from Paulo Coelho that I saw walking through Foncebadon became my Camino quote: “The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.”
Yes I understand exactly where you are coming from. I felt my dog in her seat next to me for many months after she past when I would take my long drives. And my Cat who traveled across country from California, evacuated during hurricanes and who died in my arms. I still feel her when I sit alone out side.

When I leave my stone...to leave my burdens, they will be the loss of my loving animals, the tragic death of my brother, father, mother and son who was recently murdered. Along with my pets. They will walk the Camino with me and be laid to rest written upon a small stone at the base of the cross.

I too have read The Alchemist and the Pilgrimage. Very thought and emotional provoking. I totally understand your quote.

There is a section in this forum titled "Mental Challenge" unbelievable how many people are asking for help, support, someone to talk to them and keep them from quitting their Camino. A word of encouragement to continue on as those before them.

I am not promoting "Mental Health Awareness Month" on the Camino. I had read so many of these articles before I "Watched a youtuber," OR " Received my experience from Facebook," and I only watched 2 ladies, who are not paid for their journey so i did not... "Spend too much time online watching everyone else who gets paid for putting up content," ( as if I am so naieve to not know the difference) BUT, RIGHT HERE in this very same forum.

I think my title and first post was too much for certain people to digest. Not many have not been through life struggles as many of us have. Or have they lived as others have. Which is to be expected. For those who take this as a personal attack on their ability to be empathetic, well it is not.

Personally there are not many who can offend me. Words of simple ignorance definitely do not. I work in New Orleans, LA and nothing can beat an ER here....besides NYC. Ignorance, hostility even in minutiae and passive aggressive thwarts. Nah, word are words. The sharper they are show the internal hostility of others internal garbage they carry.

Life is perspective. No two people have the same perspective.

I have thought about why I posted that thread and it was particularly for a few that had been live on the Camino that I missed by a month to maybe give them some direction.

Hopefully they have been able to gain something from those who were kind enough to offer such information and ignore those who offered nothing more than dismissive ignorance and takeing it upon themselves to answer for all that everyone is fine.

Thank you for sharing you story about your pup Flora. Yes I agree my title was not well thought out. But my intention to help others on Camino at this moment were.

it was particularly for a few that had been live on the Camino that I missed by a month to maybe give them some direction
Seeking knowledge is one thing, but there is much to be said for stepping back and observing, taking cues from people when they want help, rather than assuming we know what they need, based on our own (different) life experiences.

ignore those who offered nothing more than dismissive ignorance
Personally there are not many who can offend me. Words of simple ignorance definitely do not.
This works both ways. You seem to be suggesting that the comments from some very experienced pilgrims are "words of simple ignorance" and then dismissing them.

I couldn't agree more. Yes I too have met a few pilgrims over the years that were going through profound experiences, some actually frightening to even think about as a parent especially. But overall I believe we should all just walk and have no expectations and allow things to come in and especially to go out. As C clearly states there are opportunities to debrief if need be at Pilgrim House. I know there is something offered in the Pilgrim Office. I know little of it because I believe the service ends in October. Yes there are changes but just walk and allow what happens to happen. Expectations is the formula for future stress. Just my own opinion. If you disagree no problem.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've noticed that many of those who post on the forum seem to be embarrassed, and slightly annoyed, by anything that touches on the aspects of the Camino that are, or can be, transformative, life changing, or in any way mystical. They consider it unseemly to talk about such things and are irked when others do so.

Thank you so much for putting words to what I felt in reading some of these comments.

I find it incredibly off-putting when ppl are dismissive of any sort of introspection or reflection after partaking on a pilgrimage. Some of you sound like my pre-baby boomer parents who are unable to put themselves in anyone else's shoes, let alone empathize with someone's experience different from your own. If someone wants to debrief, what's it to you?

Another quibble, if you think you haven't encountered pilgrims with mental health issues (depression, ptsd, anxiety)...I'm sorry but what parallel universe are you living in?

BUT circling back to the OP...I'm in agreement with @trecile here. Walk the camino first, then speak to your experience. It's not that people "can't digest" your words, it's that you haven't walked a camino, and won't for another 18 months. Not placing huge expectations on your camino (or anyone else's camino, for that matter) is a wise move.

Last edited:
I think my title and first post was too much for certain people to digest
Your title says: "Mental health on and AFTER the Camino". That is a vast topic. Most people would understand this as a general discussion of emotional and/or mental health issues that some (by far not all) people may bring to the Camino in the hope for getting better or resolving their issues and a discussion of the question of whether they felt better, the same or worse in the end.

However, that is not what you appear to say in your first post. You appear to say that walking a Camino is such a life-changing, traumatic and high-stress experience that it needs debriefing just like fighter pilots, soldiers, doctors, nurses, etc need or ought to do after high stress situations. You appear to say that that's why people talk about their Camino afterwards. You don't seem to know or acknowledge that many people - in fact all the people I personally know post-Camino who have also walked - love to talk about it no end because they enjoyed it and felt that it was an enriching and wonderful experience.

The fact that something is physically and mentally challenging does not mean that one is depressed when it is over, whether it is a month long walk or a day event like climbing a high mountain or running a long distance.

Buen Camino to you and your husband when you will be walking for the first time in 2025!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You obviously have been through an enormous amount of trauma given the recent murder of your son and the loss of many of your family members. I hope you will find some peace during your walk; I know you will find compassion and kindness. IMHO if possible, maybe plan for May 2024 and start training now. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back