• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Question about starting in St. Jean in mid June

Deb2013

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk summer 2013
I will be arriving in St. Jean in mid June and am curious about how difficult it will be to find lodging the night before. I know you can't make reservations at the albergues ahead of time, and I was wondering what the options are if they are all full. I've checked into hotel stays as a back up, and they appear to be pretty well booked. Has anyone ever encountered a time when they were not able to find lodging in St. Jean, and what did you do?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Deb2013,

As Gerard notes you can make reservations in some private albergues.

You can use this SJPdP Tourist Office link for all accommodation in the area >> http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasq ... ZSC7VK6g44
Once the page loads find the purple band on the left marked DORMIR, click Gites de groupe et pèlerins for pilgrim albergues, for other tourist accommodation click Chambres d'hôtes for B and Bs. or Hotels.

I always stay at the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle which is a fine, but they do NOT take reservations. The volunteers of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques help run it. In Saint-Jean their Pilgrims' Office is at 39 rue de la Citadelle. The Amis can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance. If their municipal albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h

Bon chance and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Margaret and Gerard,

Thanks to both of you for your replies and assistance!

Most read last week in this forum