• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question re: Dave's guidebook -CICERONE

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Not certain if David could share or if anyone familiar with the book can share.
What are the thin black dotted lines with + signs (------+-----) they seem to skirt the coast BUT I don't think are routes...

Let me share why I ask as there might be another part to this question.
On page 57 Stage 3 approching DEBA in the margin is "an alternative route" mention.
In the front pages it specifies that orange is the route...blue is an alternative route...
I am not seeing any blue route on this page into Deba and was not certain why. I am seeing a thinner orange route and wonder is that it? Then I am also seeing these dotted lines mentioned above and wondering , "is that it"?

Thanks in advance,
Neve

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Neve,

Unfortunately, the alternative route is not drawn on the map. It's something that we need to amend in the next printing. What you're seeing (the black, dashed line) is the old railroad line. The alternative route actually follows this (now a gravel track) for a stretch.

If you'd like some extra guidance, read on--I'll paste turn-by-turn directions below. The waymarks are generally good, though it gets a little confusing towards the end.

Thanks for getting the book,
Dave

Elorriaga to Deba
  • Turn L into Elorriaga and then R immediately after reaching asphalt, following red/white stripes
    • Curve R around house
  • Proceed 1.35km along trail/dirt road, passing through a pine grove
    • Then, turn R at house
  • 250m - After passing through a gate, turn L downhill on footpath, then L again onto dirt road, descending through trees
  • 800m - View of Arantza rock strata (really pretty)
  • 200m - Another beach access point, then proceed uphill following the fence line (could follow beach instead during low tide and avoid sharp up-and-down)
  • 850m - third coast access point after a descent
  • 400m - turn R up steep hill on paved road
  • 250m - Turn R onto footpath in parking lot
  • 350m - Descend to converted train track, curve L over bridge
  • 750m - Take middle fork for Deba. Beware of confusing WM. From here on, look for signs pointing to Deba
  • 200m - Confusing intersection. Turn R for Deba. For camping Itxaspe (bar), turn L and proceed 450m
  • 300m - Descend to processing plant, passing around fence
  • 200m - Ascend to highway, turning left and then right onto trail soon after
  • 400m - Ascend to gate along edge of field, pass through it, then turn L uphill
  • 300m - Proceed to chapel then fork R, ignoring R/W
  • 700m - Descend to Deba (watch out for wiped out trail!), arriving on edge of beach. Turn L for center
  • 300m - Fork L on Ifar Kalea. Turismo soon after on L (check in here for the albergue)
  • Total: 7.6km

Hi Neve,

Good luck with the 'more strenuous route' ...
I would be interested to hear how it went for you, as I plan on doing El Norte early May this year.

Thanks in advance and Buen Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
David,
thank you!
I have enjoyed your book...thank you for giving me this additional information, I hope to make this trek!

CanPete, I promise to take good notes and share what I find :)
I will blog my trip and share it too.
Your AVATAR (of you dog?) is the most kissable photo!!! Between you and Roger M's Avatar pup I smile when I see those faces :)...precious!

*****LOL- Can Can Pete! You had an adorable picture up of a dog in your avatar when I mentioned the kissable avatar...and you changed it!!! Can only say the greatest things about everyones avatars BUT felt like I should explain to stay out of trouble :)

Last edited:
hi intend walking del norte 6 th or 7th may will be geting the guide from cicerone soon starting irun solo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know if you can answer this Dave but I followed the other option that day. After going around the treatment plant and going over the road and ascending to the next high point I seemed to end up on the path which takes you down to a slate type path which is fairly wide but has 20- 30 ft straight drop behind some houses in Deba. It was OK but I thought on a wet and windy day it could be interesting. Is that the obliterated path or did I just go completely wrong.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think you're describing either the obliterated path or the stretch right after the obliterated path. Part of the trail was eroded by wind and rain. It's entirely safe to circumvent it, stepping over the remains of a fence (clearly pushed down by walkers) and then walking along the edge of a field. No concerns there. That said, I will acknowledge that the final descent into Deba has a lot of loose rock. It definitely requires some care and as you say, rain would make it a bit more exciting. However, the most troublesome footing generally comes in places where the primary hazard is falling on your behind.

The authorities in Deba are certainly aware of the need for some updates to this section of the trail. Here's hoping that those fixes are made prior to the next spring/summer.

It is a gorgeous walk, though. I strongly recommend it over the "official" route.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I would walk that way again, but i do remember being knackered at the end of it, so the 'strenuous' tag holds here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, Thanks for all the info. My husband and I will be walking del Norte/Primitivo starting on 10 September. I look forward to hearing about your walks. Enjoy

By the way Dave, I have also have your book :)

Not certain if David could share or if anyone familiar with the book can share.
What are the thin black dotted lines with + signs (------+-----) they seem to skirt the coast BUT I don't think are routes...

Let me share why I ask as there might be another part to this question.
On page 57 Stage 3 approching DEBA in the margin is "an alternative route" mention.
In the front pages it specifies that orange is the route...blue is an alternative route...
I am not seeing any blue route on this page into Deba and was not certain why. I am seeing a thinner orange route and wonder is that it? Then I am also seeing these dotted lines mentioned above and wondering , "is that it"?

Thanks in advance,
Neve
It is the GR 121. If you go to the Peter Robins site, select the Camino del Norte por la costa: 03 - Zarautz - Deba route, and zoom to level 8 or higher, you can see the route: http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/e/costa.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello to my fellow Forum members.

My name is Peter, from Chilliwack, BC, Canada. I'll be a newby departing from Irun round and about May 5th, 2014. Have the plan of walking on the Northern Route until reaching Sebrayo, then pursue the Primitive route to SdC. Has anyone done or considered this route ? Opinions ? Is Gijon and Aviles not to be missed ??

Thanks in advance for the feedback and Buen Camino !

hi peter. i will be walking from irun also on the 5th may but going to walk only the norte good luck.

My name is Peter, from Chilliwack, BC, Canada. I'll be a newby departing from Irun round and about May 5th, 2014. Have the plan of walking on the Northern Route until reaching Sebrayo, then pursue the Primitive route to SdC. Has anyone done or considered this route ? Opinions ? Is Gijon and Aviles not to be missed ??

Hi Peter, my name is Simon, from Saskatoon, Sk., Canada. And I plan to do solo the same as you and around early May too, so may cross path sometimes! I have learnt a lot about the C.Norte by reading up on this forum!
Buen Camino!
Simon

Looking forwards to meeting you ! Buen Camino to you too !!

Most read last week in this forum

Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.