• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Random QUestions-money/terrain

zobiewan

Hello,
I will be embarking on el camino beginning in September. What is the best way to access funds along the way? are there ATMs or do places in the villages take visa/checkcards? any info on that would be great.

I am also wondering about the terrain in general along camino frances especially through the Pyrennes. how rough and rocky is it? what can I expect?

thanks all!

Zoey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey Zoey,

Getting cash shouldn't be a problem as long as you plan well. There are two things: 1- you don't spend cash that fast so it'll last you a long time, and 2- there are ATM machines in every big city i.e. Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Santiago. Some are also present in the smaller towns like Estella, Navarette, Masilla de los Mulas... I'm certain you won't have a problem.

As for the terrain along the way: it's as varied as you can possibly imagine. I won't lie, there are some rough spots, but they make you appreciate the good parts of the road...

Cheers, and buen camino
Eric

atms

atms everywhere, except the very tiny villages , and the last comment about tough, depends on the definition. there is up and there are rocks. i loved it and didn't find it difficult. did i get sore YES, there was something, but focus on the beauty around.
dawn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum