• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Terrain through the meseta

Jeepl8d

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2023)
I’m days away from entering the meseta. I’ve struggled a bit with the rock filled paths. Any insights to the terrain of the meseta? I’m finding it takes me much longer to walk and will plan accordingly. Grateful to any insight and experience. 🙏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Almost flat, with some low rolling hills. Nil trees and shade. Dry - and HOT. Be sure to pack extra water out of Carrion de los Condes.

Also, be sure to wear a broad brimmed hat and use a wet bandana or Buff around your neck and wrists to help keep you cool. Soaking your hat and allowing evaporation to cool you is also recommended.

There are few fountains that are potable. Over the decades, agriculture has contaminated some but not all of the shallower wells. Knowing which ones are safe is sometimes dicey.

I usually pack at least three liters of spring water coming out of Carrion de los Condes, as I usually wind up helping out other pilgrims who did not get the memo - and run dry. I find that one 1.5 liter bottle of water in each side pocket works well.

That said, the tap water supply in any bar, cafe, restaurant, or home is considered potable and safe to drink. There are just not many places to top off between Carrion de los Condes and Moratinos - about 9 km before Sahagun.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m days away from entering the meseta. I’ve struggled a bit with the rock filled paths. Any insights to the terrain of the meseta? I’m finding it takes me much longer to walk and will plan accordingly. Grateful to any insight and experience. 🙏
Just returned from the Camino Francés, and the meseta is a wonderful section. As far as walking terrain, I don’t recall any major rough paths.

The advice to carry an umbrella, mainly for protection against the sun, is very sound. If you can get one with an extra long stem so that you can attach it to your rucksack chest and waist straps, even better. EuroShirm is one of a few companies that make such an umbrella.

As several pilgrims have remarked above, the Meseta is fairly flat for the most part, with no particularly demanding hills, and is generally easy underfoot except after heavy rain. Ignore the scare stories about it being tedious - it is peaceful and delightful, and very different from most sections of the Camino.

Thank you everyone. I have a hat and an umbrella (that will attach to my backpack for hands free walking. ) the walking aspect on rocky paths has been a little tough and much slower than expected. Planning will be key especially with the sun and temperatures.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
EuroShirm is one of a few companies that make such an umbrella.
This umbrella can be purchased from the forum store.

Nil trees and shade.
Speaking from recent experience, the sendas after Sahagun are often lined with trees. Of course, those trees are to your left and if you walk in the morning as most pilgrims do, the sun is on your right, so they offer minimal shade. But if you find yourself walking in the afternoon, that's when you'll really need the shade and be glad for them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you everyone. I have a hat and an umbrella (that will attach to my backpack for hands free walking. ) the walking aspect on rocky paths has been a little tough and much slower than expected. Planning will be key especially with the sun and temperatures.

You will love the Meseta.
Fairly flat, good surfaces, and Oh those big skies!

Speaking from recent experience, the sendas after Sahagun are often lined with trees. Of course, those trees are to your left and if you walk in the morning as most pilgrims do, the sun is on your right, so they offer minimal shade. But if you find yourself walking in the afternoon, that's when you'll really need the shade and be glad for them.
I was referring to the terrain BEFORE Sahagun. David is correct about the trees AFTER Sahagun. In my view, the Meseta, per se, ends at Sahagun.

It's all good.

Hope this helps.

Tom

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This umbrella can be purchased from the forum store.

The umbrella queen has spoken…

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The problem with umbrellas and with ponchos as well is that Spain has a lot of wind. I just covered myself up with long sleeved sun shirts and long pants. Worked fine

I’d say Leon is included in the meseta…
I always considered that the Meseta started at Carrion de los Condes, and lasted until Sahagun. At least, IIRC, that is what I learned from Mr. Brierley's' guide to the Camino Frances, early on in my Camino adventures.

But, it might start at - or slightly after Leon. Whatever. The main point is that after Carrion de los Condes, the route is a long, dry almost but not quite level, treeless, slog.

Hope this helps.

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the flat sections of the Meseta, I was able to walk more than expected. In one case I was able to combine 3 Briarly stages into 2 days. This allowed me a stay at the off-stage San Nicolás de Puente Fitero with the foot washing ceremony.

-Paul

I always considered that the Meseta started at Carrion de los Condes, and lasted until Sahagun. At least, IIRC, that is what I learned from Mr. Brierley's' guide to the Camino Frances, early on in my Camino adventures.

But, it might start at - or slightly after Leon. Whatever. The main point is that after Carrion de los Condes, the route is a long, dry almost but not quite level, treeless, slog.

Hope this helps.

Tom
According to Rome to Rio, Carrion de los Condes to Sahagun is about 24.1 miles. Somebody’s shrinking the meseta😂

If it rains there could be mud. Even if it doesn't rain you may appreciate an umbrella to carry your own shade in the afternoon. Buen Camino
Indeed, my experience was unremitting mud during the wet late-Spring of 2013. It is difficult to predict, although it is now summer so it should be dry...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.