• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

reassurance for travel plans

karanarttravel

Hello all--

Last month I asked a bunch of questions about a bunch of topics, and received a bunch of suggestions--thank you all so much for the feedback!

So, from your wise words and experiences...here is what I am thinking of, and, like the beginner that I am, I seek reassurance of my proposed actions. Please be blunt and honest!

Flying into Barcelona from the US, onto Pamplona and a random taxi from the Pamplona airport to St Jean Pied du Port. Get credentials, and spend the night. Next day, start the Camino and settle in Roncesvalles for Mass later that evening. Two trekking poles for crazy terrain, sleeping bag liner and foam mat, one other change of clothes, assorted first aid items and toiletries totalling a little over 7 pounds. Rented an international cell phone to make my mom feel more at ease-since I will travel alone. A journal, rain poncho, head lamp, Confraternity book, electrolyte packets, and scallop shell. How'd I do?

I had every intention to make my Camino the most spiritual and grounding as I could, but it feels like all of the above makes me look like I am a Club Med Peregrino(a?). Honest opinions, please.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Reassurance

You ARE travelling light - well done! Being prepared does not mean that the camino is going to be a luxury holiday - in places it is a long, hard slog. But is sounds as though you are more than spiritually ready for the lessons and gifts the camino has to offer. Once you have done it, come back to this forum and share with others.

Here is alittle verse just for you.

Here begins the journy
Now Begins the Day
With one step upon the road
My soul is on its way.

Reassurance

Personally I would leave the camping mat at home all the refugios have mattresses or gym mats of some kind or other. Maybe replace it with a lightweight sleeping bag - in case you get cold nights. Make sure you have a small torch as the lights are switched off at night. Also spare walking socks to change over during the day if your feet get hot.
Bon Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum