• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Recognize this pilgrim?

Peligro

I walk between cafe breaks
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés ’15-’19
Primitivo ’21
VF ’23
Portugués ’24
This statue is just after O Cebreiro. I just realized that the picture I took is the same statue as on the cover of a book from 2004 that my mother in law gave me. The staff is now broken off at the hand and the brickwork around the base seems different. Does anybody know the back story on this pilgrim? I'd love to hear it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St Roch, aka San Roque, was bishop in Le Puy back in the day, and is one of the earliest recorded pilgrims to Santiago. Statues and paintings of him are everywhere, usually with him hoisting his robe showing the sore on his knee, and with a little dog beside him.

No, his knee wasn't sore from walking. It has something to do with him curing some faithful of leprosy. Details have faded in my memory, but a search should answer further lingering questions.

I can attest to the walking against the wind part. It was very foggy, wet and windy that day. Otherwise I would have spent more time with the statue. There’s always next time ...

Lucky we can all go back and see everything for the first time again. I wish I had known who he was the first time around

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Perfect place for this monument. We also experienced rain and fog after a long night's storm. This is our start in the early morning, 15 Sept 2017.

Attachments

• Pedrafita do Cebreiro 15 Sept 2017.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
My hat blew off as I approached this guy some time in the last ten days on a misty and windy morning, I was lucky to pin it down with my walking pole

I read that San Roque was suffering from plague. Unfortunately he probably contracted it from fleas carried by his faithful dog.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I had to go look. Wikipedia says it was indeed plague (and other diseases lumped in as plague) and it was the dog that cured him and saved his life. The dog belonged to a local nobleman... I wonder if he liberated the dog.... He's also:

Patron Saint of: bachelors, diseased cattle, dogs, falsely accused people, invalids, surgeons, tile-makers, gravediggers, second-hand dealers, pilgrims, apothecaries etc.

I don't see them calling him bishop of Le Puy, but was named to succeed his father as governor of Montpellier, but he ran off to Rome instead. I'm sure I read something while on the Le Puy camino about him being bishop.

Alto do San Roque on Sunday, Sep 25, 2016 at 8:05 am. I had just left O Cebreiro and was on my way to Triacastela. A pilgrim is walking ahead of me.

Last edited:
I wonder when the staff was broken (stolen?) I have it whole in a photo from September 2001 - the only other one I have from 2017 by which time it's been shortened.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum