• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Red Hearts in Brierley's Guide Book

Tony Murray

Time of past OR future Camino
Five CF Camino’s to date.
I have noticed that a small red heart appears on some maps in Brierley's Camino Francés guidebook. For example map 22 just below Cruceiro. Does anyone know if this symbolises a location he likes or that a defibrillator available at that spot?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You're talking about that little heart on the stop just before Cruceiros at stage 22, at the cantina, La Casa de los Dioses. Yes, the text on the next page indicates to me that Brierly finds this place to be a special place to spend some extra time. I find his suggestions always worth my time (when I can find them and have the time to stop). Who knows, they might even have a defibrillator!

Last edited:
Given the tendency to interpret Brierley's suggestions as pilgrim protocol, if the crowds converge on one of his 'special places' there might be a need for a defibrillator.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum