• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Removing Compeed from socks

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

From the manufacturers: Wikipedia

Low odor mineral turpentine is 100% low aromatic white spirit.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Gosh ... washing dirty hiking socks in hot soapy water...now there's a novel idea! They have a whole Research and Development Department to give this advice. I'm impressed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Haha Mike!
Now THAT is a method I like!

Actually, I found the hot soapy water to work fine.

They have a whole Research and Development Department to give this advice. I'm impressed.
They have lawyers who have told them they will be sued if someone melts their socks with turpentine on the advice of Compeed!

R&D probably changed the adhesive for U.S. FDA approval of the product. The BandAid product does not stick nearly as well as the European Compeed.

The adhesive has almost nothing to do with the "goo" that blister moisture and the wet-wound absorbent material deposits on socks. I have found isopropyl alcohol removes the adhesive pretty well.

I am reluctant to burn my wool/synthetic blend socks. The pollutants are much more toxic than burning a cotton T-shirt. Ditto synthetic shirts and pants. Celebration can be too gleeful, and not thoughtful enough, at least for me.

You're right.. burning them probably isn't the best way.
But it sure made me laugh :lol:

It's funny about the Bandaid product. It is definitely not as well-sticking as Compeed and you're probably right about the FDA. We've become such a sue-happy community in the USA - burn yourself on HOT coffee and sue - break a fingernail opening a jar and sue... they should just re-name the USA the SUE! :roll:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lawsuits are out of hand in the U.S., but the McDonald's hot coffee did cause third degree burns right out of the cup:Skin grafts were required to repair the damage.

Attachments

• liebeck.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,243

Most read last week in this forum