• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rosalía de Castro

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I wrote a short something for Camino 2014 concerning the town of Padrón home to both the Santiago church with the Pedron mooring post relic beneath the altar and the small local museum dedicated to Rosalía de Castro, the Poetess Laureate of Galicia for all time. She was a woman haunted by the poverty and misery she saw all around her and which she herself experienced. Her poems are usually stark and sad in their imagery. I do not speak Galician and cannot read her work as she wrote it, the Spanish translations are often also very difficult. There is a book of her poems in English translation - Rosalía de Castro, Selected Poems published by Shearsman Books, Exeter available from the publishers website and another which I have not read found on Amazon. One short poem which does bring memories from the Camino:

The Bells

I love them and listen to them
as I Listen to the breath o’ the wind,
the murmur of the fountain,
or the bleat of the lamb.
At the moment when first light
unfolds across the sky.
the bells, like birds,
welcome dawn with their song.
There is something innocent,
something peaceful, even charming
in their echoing notes that fill
the valleys and hills.
If they were forever hushed—
what sorrow in the sky,
what silence in the church,
what surprise among the dead!

Search her out for she is a wonderful poet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back